Nurse (Local Status) – Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF Belgium), January 22 2023
Organization: Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF Belgium)
Position: Nurse (Local Status)
Location: South Omo, Jinka, SNNPR
Deadline: January 27, 2023
Main Purpose of the Position
Providing nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment. Respecting medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures. Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort.
- Ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary
- Ensuring materials are sterilized, IPCs are adhered strictly, universal precautions are followed
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration)
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover, and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise.
- Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed .
- Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, etc.)
- Supervising and training nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- MSF is an independent, neutral and impartial organisation that is providing quality medical care free of charge regardless of the ethnic origin of the patients, so to both local and internally displaced population. We ensure that our staff are aware and respect the cultural differences of our patients and colleagues working together.
- Currently MSF Belgium is providing most needed medical care in Afar and SNNP regions targeting host communities and internally displaced people. Currently MSF is opening a project in South Omo focusing on addressing the most medical needs of visceral leishmaniasis (also known as Kala Azar) and mobile clinics in the most affected areas. As such MSF aims to contribute on on the reduction of mortality and morbidity of this treatable disease and other morbidities like Malaria, malnutrition, diarrheal diseases, respiratory tract infections to the hard to reach areas.
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
Education: Essential Degree in Nursing
Experience: Desirable 2 years of previous experience and previous experience in other NGO’s
– Demonstrable experience in supervising and training others in a team setting
– Desirable experience in Kala Azar, PHC, EPI, Nutrition and Outreach Activities (Mobile Clinic).
Language: – Fluent Amharic, desirable local languages and English.
How to Apply
If you are interested, please send your National ID, CV (not more than 3 pages), and cover letter (not more than one page) with “Nurse position” written in the subject line through Msfocbfirstname.lastname@example.org. Or YOU CAN BRING HARD COPY TO OUR OFFICE LOCATED AT JINKA TOWN, SHALEKA GUESTHOUSE.
Deadline: January 27, 2023.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
MSF Belgium promotes EQUITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION.
We strongly encourage women and people with reduced mobility (able to work in remote places) to apply.