Health and Nutrition Project Coordinator – Save the Children Vacancy Announcement, October 28 2023
Organization: Save the Children
Position: Health and Nutrition Project Coordinator
Employment: Full time
Deadline: Nov 6, 2023
The Health and Nutrition Project coordinator is responsible for coordinating the implementation of BPRM and Hilton Foundation by integration with RRS in refuges and other government sectors and partners in host community, participated in development of detailed project implementation plan, follow up of project implementation, results based monitoring, evaluation and quality assurance, under his supervision. He/She work closely with RHB and ZHO, and RRS team to quality of health service delivery for refuge and host community. S/he is also responsible for project staff management including development of performance objective, continuous follow-up, capacity building and support program officer, and conduct performance appraisal. The project coordinator will also provide technical guidance and capacity building support to health facilities staff, RHB, RRS and Woreda Health Offices at the project implementation woredas/ refugee camps. S/he will be responsible to document implementation lessons and best practices to improve project implementation as well as inform new business development
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Oversight and management of humanitarian emergency programmes
- Liaison and work closely with field office before, during and after emergency response in the region and refugee camps by supporting and/or directly managing aspects of implementation of emergency response projects through the response cycle
- Coordinate regular management and technical support visits to project sites to support implementation and ensure that programming meets/exceeds international standards and corresponds to work plans and budgets
- Work closely with other thematic areas to harmonize humanitarian interventions and ensure minimum standards and integrated approach where possible
- Identify challenges in the design or implementation of humanitarian projects and give feedback on the required corrective actions to address them
Project management and operations management
- Provide monthly update on project progress and flag any concerns in a timely manner for Health and nutrition project manager
- Assess nutrition staff training needs; develop a training program to meet these needs; conduct nutrition training for project nutrition staff and MOH counterparts implementing nutrition programs, focusing on all aspects of community-based management of acute malnutrition (CMAM), IYCF, and health with the Health and Nutrition Supervisors’ support.
- Assist in the creation/adaptation of nutrition education training manuals and facilitator’s guides based on existing national nutrition guidelines and curricula, as well as training follow-up.
- Represent SC in Health and Nutrition coordination meetings with government bodies, international agencies, other NGOs, and donors at the regional and district levels.
- Establish and maintain smooth relations and open collaboration with government and local stakeholders; and serve as the health and nutrition resource person Implementation and Development
- Identify potential nutrition and nutrition-related projects for development and lead on the concept note or proposal development while liaising with interested partners and stakeholders.
- Plan and conduct nutritional assessments and surveys following the nationally approved survey protocol and feed assessments results into proposals.
- Ensure proper functioning of reporting systems for regular assessment, monitoring and evaluation of the program against its objectives and expected results. And conduct critical monitoring of all aspects of Health, CMAM and IYCF programs, and identify areas of concern.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate quality assurance measures and ensure appropriate follow up.
- Prepare and provide regular monthly progress reports in coordination with the M&E team
- Manage all activities, resources and assets for the projects under his/her supervision;
- Provide hand on support for the project team during capacity building training, review meeting, consultation with local health authorities and advocacy initiatives ;
- Coach and mentor the front line government health office and facility level staff on the integration of ECD in the existing Health system;
- Lead HF need assessment task and identify type support needed and oversee the execution;
- Identify critical issues in the implementation of projects and take the necessary actions to address problems and constraints
- Prepare periodic reports on the implementation of project activities as per the requirements of SCI, regional and specific project donor
- Integrate with other project thematic through joint planning ,review performance and sharing lessons
- Develop project briefs, which document the project learnings and results
- Ensure that strategies for phasing out are taken care of during implementation; and project close outs are properly planned and executed
- Closely work with RRS, RHB, Zonal and Woreda Health Offices for the smooth implementation of the project and for ensuring project sustainability
- Ensuring project quality implementation using quality bench mark ;
- Represent SCI Gambella FO in the region, woredas health sector meetings, cluster and Task forces
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development
- Develop performance objectives and development plan for program officer under his/her supervision
- Establish a system for, communication, follow up, ensuring regular reporting and development of project staff
- Ensure project officer understood his/her responsibilities and how their contribution feeds into the overall project objective
- Organize regular review meetings to review progress, identify issues and solve them
- Develop and assesses the performance of his/her self and program officer by D2P in timely manner
Representation, communication & relationship building
- Contribute to the maintenances of strong relationships with key national partners and coordinate with other INGOs with humanitarian capacity
- Represent Save the Children’s humanitarian response to local authorities, donors, working groups, clusters, task forces, and other members of the humanitarian community
- Establish links and good relationships with relevant government offices/authorities and NGO’s in the area of humanitarian response to refugees, pastoralist and non-pastoralist interventions
Monitoring, evaluation and quality assurance
- In collaboration and coordination with MEAL, and PDQ health and nutrition team facilitate/conduct Joint project support, assess the project against quality bench mark and conduct project base line and end line
- In coordination with and support from relevant MEAL staff, design results based monitoring and evaluation process for both projects
- Monitor and systematically document project results implementation lessons, best practices and innovations for the project under supervision; and share lessons, best practices and innovations with PDQ health team to inform program development
- Conduct regular supportive and joint supportive supervisions to project sites with project team and respective government partners
- Plan and facilitate regularly scheduled reviews of projects with woreda health office heads/experts and HWs/HEWs, and community volunteers in the implementation areas
- Facilitates visits to donors, members and others as necessary;
- Coordinate Hilton foundation research/ study with MEAL and thematic Focal.
MINIMUM QUALFICATION, EXPEREINCE, COMPETENCIES
- Most preferred is Master’s Degree in Public health, Nutrition Humanitarian Response, / BSc degree in Public Health, Nutrition, Nursing or related fields
- For Master’s Degree 5 years or for BSC/BA degree 7 years of work experience in Humanitarian Preparedness and Response and Or Developmental in a number of fragile or complex contexts in an NGO environment of which a minimum of 4 years managing community based health projects and had been experience in refuges
- Trainings on Public Health Emergency ,MHPSS, BIMOC ,Infection prevention , ECD and Referral System
- Solid understanding of the Ethiopian health policy and strategies, as well as the health sector transformation plan and the health extension platform
- Good understanding of Humanitarian minimum standards (SPHERE)
- Child rights programming and Rights based approach to development
- Experience working with the regional and local level stakeholders
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in another partners with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Experience of managing and shaping programmes to deliver greater efficiency and effectiveness, and of strengthening implementation of financial control processes
- Practical experience on Project/programme development and management;
- Solid budgeting skills and knowledge of key donor regulations
- knowledge of local language is required
- Commitment to Save the Children values
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Strong training skill
- Willingness and ability to dramatically change work practices, flexibility in working long hours and ability to work with incoming surge teams;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Commitment to Save the Children values
- Teams, in the event of emergencies
How to Apply
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
Use the below link to apply:
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.