Medical Doctor (Local Status) – Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF Belgium), January 22 2023
Organization: Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF Belgium)
Position: Medical Doctor (Local Status)
Location: South Omo, Jinka, SNNPR
Deadline: January 27, 2023
The main Purpose of the Position
Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocol.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits , consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all MSF and MOH medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Manage the team under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- MSF is an independent, neutral and impartial organisation that is providing quality medical care free of charge regardless of the ethnic origin of the patients, so to both local and internally displaced population. We ensure that our staff are aware and respect the cultural differences of our patients and colleagues working together.
- Currently MSF Belgium is providing most needed medical care in Afar and SNNP regions targeting host communities and internally displaced people. Currently MSF is opening a project in South Omo focusing on addressing the most medical needs of visceral leishmaniasis (also known as Kala Azar) and mobile clinics in the most affected areas. As such MSF aims to contribute on on the reduction of mortality and morbidity of this treatable disease and other morbidities like Malaria, malnutrition, diarrheal diseases, respiratory tract infections to the hard to reach areas.
Essential to have
- Capacity to build good relationship and cooperation between MSF activities and MoH staff.
- Teamwork ability.
- To be able to easy adaptation when change context or work space.
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
Education: Medical Doctor (BSC Degree in Medicine)
Experience: 2-years’ experience minimum as a Medical Doctor. Desirable Kala Azar experience, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS/STDs, TB.
Language: Fluent English, Amharic and desirable local languages.
How to Apply
If you are interested, please send your National ID, CV (not more than 3 pages), and cover letter (not more than one page) with “Medical Doctor position” written in the subject line through Msfocbfirstname.lastname@example.org. Or YOU CAN BRING HARD COPY TO OUR OFFICE LOCATED AT JINKA TOWN, SHALEKA GUESTHOUSE.
Deadline: January 27, 2023.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
MSF Belgium promotes EQUITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION.