Skip to content
Smile Train and Kids Operating Room (KidsOR) are collaborating to provide 40 scholarships for trainees wishing to study Pediatric Surgery within the West African College of Surgeons (WACS) and the College of Surgeons of East, Central and Southern Africa (COSECSA) training programmes. Smile Train/KidsOR Scholarships are funded by Smile Train and administered through KidsOR.
This document provides details of the scholarships and the application process as of September 2021.
About Smile Train/KidsOR Scholarships
- The scholarship is for individuals joining the first year Fellowship level of the College. Consideration will be given to those joining First year Membership level for countries that are disproportionately disadvantaged due to shortage or absence of general pediatric surgeons
- The scholarship duration is three to six years, depending on the course of study • The scholarship is for those wishing to pursue Paediatric Surgery only and an additional 8-month training in cleft lip and palate
- The applicant must meet the entry requirements for registration in the college they are joining
- The applicant must be domiciled in one of the Sub-Saharan countries
- The applicant will be required to work in paediatric clinical practice in a public institution for a duration equivalent to the years trained in their home country after successful completion of their training program
- The applicant will be required to provide cleft care as part of their clinical practice, for a duration equivalent to the years trained
Financial Support Provided
The scholarship cover expenses towards:
- Academic tuition, examination and graduation (paid directly to the college).
- Monthly stipend as a contribution towards living expenses, accommodation, and transport (paid directly to the scholar).
Please note: Applicants are advised to first seek registration from the college where they wish to train and receive confirmation of registration before applying for a scholarship. Applicants are advised to apply to the college whose training is recognised in their country of origin.
Selection of trainees is done in two ways:
- Option 1 – In consultation with the surgical associations/societies in countries or paediatric associations where they exist. The surgical association leadership is mandated to identify suitable candidates and submit their details and supporting documents to KidsOR or Smile Train.
- Option 2 – Applicants can apply for a scholarship directly with KidsOR or Smile Train. In this case, the applications are shared with the leadership of the country’s surgical association and on merit advised.
- For both options, once the scholarship grant has been approved by Smile Train and KidsOR, notification and details of the scholarship are shared with the relevant Ministry of Health officials. The Ministry is involved from the beginning for possibility of future employment of the trainees as paediatric specialists after successful completion of their training program.
- The application process is all year round subject to the colleges’ varied timetables.
Documents to be Submitted
- Applicants should include a personal statement indicating: their future goals, a current CV, and a letter of support from their surgical association leadership. If there is no surgical association in the applicant’s country, the applicant may include a letter of support from a senior surgeon in their country.
- Confirmed registration to the college of choice.
How to Apply
VIEW ON SOURCE