Regional Health & Safety Specialist – Jimma
- About Us
Safaricom Telecommunications Ethiopia Plc is a company supporting Ethiopia’s digital transformation. As a member of the Vodacom family, we have a wealth of experience connecting over 334 million people globally and over 180 million people in Africa across our network. We look forward to partnering with Ethiopians as we build a new network in Ethiopia.
We are setting the groundwork in readiness for the launch of our services next year and are looking to work with purpose-led teams that put the community at the heart of service.
Safaricom Ethiopia is offering a wide range of careers, whether you’re looking to join our technology, commercial or corporate teams. If you would like a challenge and the promise of a digital future for the people of Ethiopia, we are looking for you.
We are pleased to announce the following vacancy forRegional Health & Safety Specialist – Jimma within the Resources Function in Ethiopia. In keeping with our current business needs, we are looking for a person who meets the criteria indicated below.
The Health, Safety and Wellbeing function is responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of all elements of Safaricom’s Health, Safety and Wellbeing management’s system to assure the highest possible degree of health, safety and wellbeing for Safaricom’s employees, contractors, sub-contractors and visitors to company premises/ sites of operations in liaison with the management and teams across all other business functions including stakeholders.
Reporting to the EHOD: Health, Safety, Environment & Wellbeing, the role holder will identify and remedy high risk areas in Regional Operations through actively promoting a culture of safety.
Key accountabilities and decision ownership:
- Implementation of Safaricom’s Health and Safety Management System across regional operations. The role holder will be responsible for the Region’s HSW objectives
- Stewardship of Health and Safety Management System, procedures and programs towards ensuring flawless business operations across the Region including Technology, Retail, Trade Marketing, Area Sales, Fibre Operations, Call Centre, Events, Rigs/Activations/ Shops/ Care desks, amongst others and role-related standards & projects within region
- Implementation of the Safaricom Ethiopia annual high-level Health and Safety Plan ensuring 100% delivery in region.
- Perform Health and Safety reviews, on-site inspections and audits of physical conditions and work practices to identify and evaluate hazardous conditions and practices within the region.
- Develop and implement a hazard identification and risk assessment program for the Region developing risk registers and mitigations for each of the facilities, business units and areas of operations within the region.
- Coordinate the implementation of controls from results of the HIRA process.
- Provide documented input at the build stage of facilities and infrastructure within the region.
- Provide counsel concerning compliance requirements to Regional teams, employees, contractors, visitors and other persons directly involved in function-related operations.
- Maintain a strong field presence ensuring that the Region’s business operations comply with OSH laws and regulations, Safaricom Standards and internationally accepted OSH standards.
- Coordinate deep dive audits across the region operations including supplier activities towards determining compliance to Safaricom H&S standards and track actions arising to closure.
- Coordinate related functions Senior Management Tours and engagement activities and reporting
- Oversee Permit to work approvals in the region
- Oversee Safety moments in regions
- New employee and supplier HSW Inductions within region
- Training matrix for regional teams (staff and suppliers) and implementation
Health and Safety Reporting
- Review each the region’s Health and Safety KPI data and develop trend analysis reports including recommendations on appropriate corrective measures based on the review.
Building Health and Safety Capability
- Steward function-specific health and safety training matrix including statutorily mandated, task specific or general safety training and awareness sessions for Regional teams, contractors, subcontractor and visitors.
- Develop, document and implement training material on health and safety applicable to each of the functions.
- Develop and sustain holistic awareness campaigns at strategic and tactical levels to build health and safety awareness and capability.
Contractor/ Supplier Safety Management
- Ensure maintenance of the comprehensive Contractor/ Supplier Safety Management process.
- Provide overall coordination of the contractor safety management process within the region.
- Coordination of investigation of all accidents, near misses, dangerous occurrences, property damage or losses, first aid cases and medical treatment cases reported across the region and the identification of corrective and/ or preventative action to prevent recurrence, where applicable.
Work Control Procedures
- Develop and implement effective work control (SOP) procedures for high-risk tasks to be utilized consistently.
- Ensure the implementation of a PPE policy to be adhered to consistently during the performance of high-risk tasks.
Emergency Preparedness and Response
- H&S Committees, First Aid and Fire Marshals coordination within region in consultation with Safety Manager
- Coordinate emergency incidents that occur within the region In collaboration with the regional security team and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that all legal obligations imposed on the Employer with regards to emergency preparedness and responses are adhered.
- Co-ordinate requisite inspections and assessments and risk reduction mitigations as necessary.
- Assist other business functions / stakeholders in the region in the planning and execution of events to assure the highest standards of safety at related events.
- Coordinate first aid team and fire marshal team activities across the region to ensure the promotion of the highest standards of health and safety at the workplace as well as up to standard first aid and fire safety arrangements at the workplace and appropriate response to emergencies that may arise at the workplace.
- Management of the inventory of all first aid amenities/ supplies provided at across the region (including medical supplies, medical and non-medical equipment and signage) ensuring that they meet, at all times, legal and best practice standards. This shall include inspection and maintenance of the inventory, as and when required.
- Management of the inventory fire safety provisions (fire detection and suppression systems) ensuring that these meets, at all times, legal and best practice standards. This shall include inspection and maintenance of the inventory, as and when required.
- Planning, participation and coordination of H&S arrangements for function related live events including emergency response in conjunction with other stakeholders.
Digital tools for Health and Safety
- Steward implementation of the digital tools to ensure faster, simplified and more effective management of Safaricom’s Safety and Health Management System across commercial and Regional operations
- Ensure 100% JMP & PTW across the region’s operations.
- Spearhead and report on HSW related sustainability initiatives within the region.
- Ideally a bachelor’s degree in environmental science, occupational safety & Health or Engineering
- Excellent understanding of Ethiopia’s safety and health directive 2008
- In-depth training, exposure and thorough understanding of the Occupational Safety and Health field
How To Apply:
- If you feel that you are up to the challenge and possess the necessary qualification and experience, kindly proceed to update your candidate profile on Ethiojobs.net
then Click on the apply button.
Remember to attach your resume.