Community Engagement Assistant (Jigjiga)
- Job Description:
- About Amref Health Africa
Founded in 1957 in Nairobi, Kenya, Amref Health Africa is the largest Africa-based international NGO, reaching 35 countries. We work to ensure every African can enjoy the right to health services by helping create vibrant networks of informed communities that work with empowered health care providers in strong health systems. Amref has over half a century of experience in delivering health care and building health systems in Africa, partnering with those at the heart of communities to bring lasting health change.
Amref Health Africa partners with the Government of Ethiopia and local communities to implement diversified health and WASH project portfolios throughout the country, focusing on three key programmatic areas: Reproductive Maternal, Neonatal, Child, Adolescent and Youth Health (RMNCAYH), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), and Communicable and Non-Communicable diseases. We implement projects in Addis Ababa, Afar, Amhara, Benishangul-Gumuz, Gambella, Oromia, Somali, SNNP regions and nationwide health systems strengthening interventions focusing on the Health Extension Program.
Amref Health Africa is recruiting a Community Engagement Assistant to be based in Somali, Jigjiga field office. S/he will report to the Project Manager.
Position: Community Engagement Assistant
Reports to: Project Manager
The Community Engagement Assistant will be responsible to provide coordinate all project activities related to malaria and TB diagnosis and treatment based in Somali regional state. S/he will provide technical support and coordinate community level interventions in collaboration with regional health bureau. S/he will work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and work closely with other Amref staffs including cost-shared transform HDR project team. This position is based in Somali region with frequent travel to health facilities and health posts for project implementation, coordination, supervision and monitoring purposes.
- Co-ordinate and participate in design, planning and implementation of project activities in the region
- Participate in preparation of annual work plans and progress monthly, quarterly and reports relating to the project interventions
- Partner with the Regional Public health and research laboratories, Regional Pharmaceutical Supply Agency and local partners to improve laboratory services, and drug and other supplies availability
- Coordinate and lead capacity building activities of TB and Malaria including trainings, post training follow ups, coaching and mentoring and joint supportive supervision
- Ensure health facilities have standard case management tools, medical and diagnostic supplies, trained personnel, and proper data management for TB (child TB) and malaria cases.
- Conduct TB and Malaria awareness & screening activities though use of IEC/SBCC and innovative approaches at community level in collaboration with local health facilities, health posts and CVs
- Work closely with other Transform-HDR technical team to integrate TB and Malaria diagnosis and treatment with maternal and child health service
- Undertake regular scheduled supportive supervisions with the regional reference laboratories to ensure TB and malaria diagnostics and laboratory quality at health facilities level (EQA)
- Strength the existing government initiatives of expanding primary health care clinical guideline orientation (PHCG) and other quality improvement initiatives at PHCU including health post levels.
- Ensure TB and malaria related activities are included in Regional / woreda based annual plan, and align with Transform HDR’s plan for better integration and coordination
- Organize and facilitate quarterly review meetings and represented in PHCU meetings
- Undertake best practice documentation and operational research activities to facilitate learning and informed decision
- Perform other activities as required by the project/ supervisor
- Job Requirements:
- • B.SC.in Public Health or Nursing
• Minimum of three years of experience in integrating Malaria and TB program in MCH service
• Good knowledge of community engagement and our-reach activities
• Experience in quality assurance for Malaria and TB laboratory service
• TOT in Malaria and TB case management has an added value
• Excellent Speaking & writing skills in both Amharic & English
• Excellent computer skills (Ms Word, Ms Excel, Ms Outlook)
• Strong analytical, problem solving and networking skills.
• Be a team player and work under minimal supervision.
Terms of employment: 10 months with possible of extension
Duty Station: Somali Region, Jigjiga
Required number: – 1 (One)
- How To Apply:
- If you would like to join Amref’s team, please quote the position/reference number in the subject matter and send your CV and application letter with remuneration requirements and contact details of three work-related referees, through [email protected], ethiojobs.com or to the Human Resources Department, Amref Health Africa by P.O Box 20855/1000, Addis Ababa.
The closing date for submitting applications is July 27, 2021. We regret that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Ø Telephone call to the office is strongly forbidden.
Ø Candidates MUST refer the position title on the subject line of their email and application.
Ø Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.