Livelihood and Food Security Technical Assistant ( Food Distribution) #5 – Norwegian Refugee Council Vacancy Announcement, August 5 2023
Organization: Norwegian Refugee Council
Position: Livelihood and Food Security Technical Assistant ( Food Distribution) #5
Location: Awbarre, Shedder, Kebribayah, Mirqan and Hegale, Somali
Employment: Full time
Date of Announcement:
Deadline: August 6 2023
Role and responsibilities
The LFS Technical Assistant(Food Distribution)will carry out activities to address food insecurity assistance through GFD project levels in the targeted area. This program includes general food distribution as part of the WFP GFD project. The project Assistant will have a varied workload and will assist LFS Coordinators in all or some of the following areas: community sensitization and mobilization, beneficiary selection and registration processes, training, food distribution, and monitoring across a variety of General Food Distribution GFD project components. The specific tasks will be determined by the LFS Coordinator and will be based on skills and interests.
Key Areas of Responsibilities
- Sensitize local authorities and communities to the project’s objectives, activities, and selection criteria.
- Ensure beneficiary selection criteria are understood by local authorities and community members and that project beneficiaries have been identified according to NRC’s economic, vulnerability, and target criteria.
- Assist in running community meetings and workshops in a participatory and inclusive manner, to ensure that project activities are developed in consultation with communities and consider vulnerable groups.
- Conduct training with community members or target groups on various topics, as required.
- Collect and maintain lists of all beneficiaries with each distribution, to be input by Beneficiary verifier/Biometrician.
- Responsible for general Food Distribution implementation in specific refugee camp and reports to the relevant Coordinator for that location
- Responsible for overseeing the work and ensuring quality in their specific refugee camp.
- Support community feedback on beneficiary selection criteria with LFS Coordinator to update and finalize selection criteria.
- Oversee beneficiary selection and verification process to ensure the correct procedures are followed and relevant documentation is completed.
- Ensure basic information on target beneficiaries is collected and recorded and shared with LFS Coordinators in a timely manner.
- Manage and supervise the food distribution points staff in the areas of interventions.
- Support the M&E team to collect, respond, and report beneficiaries’ complaints and feedback.
- Support the project Coordinator in building the training for community committees at Food Distribution Points.
- Keep accurate records of all project documents related to food dispatch and distribution in areas of supervision.
- Follow up on food delivery to ensure receiving enough food ration as planned and the quantity shown in the waybill list.
- With support from LFS Coordinator, coordinate with other field actors to ensure there is no beneficiary overlap in the finalized list of beneficiaries.
- With support from LFS Coordinator, responsible for preparing an appropriate monthly work plan for distribution and sharing with beneficiaries, and community committees prior to each cycle of distribution.
- Oversee the distribution process, ensuring NRC standards and security procedures are followed.
- Ensure any problems in implementation are reported to Field Coordinators in a timely manner and appropriate action is taken with support from LFS Coordinator
- Identify potential problems in the project implementation in the field and discuss suggested action/solution with project authorities or report to appropriate personnel.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Follow-up on feedback from M&E Coordinator and Accountability Assistants to ensure that all findings are addressed, and adjustments made to projects throughout implementation.
- Conduct regular field visits to monitor and troubleshoot, submitting reports to the Programme Coordinator.
- Assist in FSL assessments, surveys, data collection, and analysis as required by Project Coordinators.
- Assist Project supervisor and project coordinator in compiling regular progress reports (narrative and data), food distribution reconciliations.
- Any additional tasks as requested by the line manager.
Additional job responsibilities
Apart from the duties and responsibilities as set out above, the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition, Public health, Social science, Sociology and related fields
- Two years of experience working with International NGOs.
- Experience in food security and livelihood interventions especially General Food Distribution (GFD)/Commodity distribution,
- Ability to organize time and manage multiple tasks on different activities at one time.
- Good attitude, hardworking, and able to take initiative and problem-solve independently.
- Ability to verbally communicate with rural populations (in English) and resolve conflicts.
- Knowledge of the areas of intervention (Jigjiga and Dollo Refugee camps) and the ability to relate with stakeholders is advantageous.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively to the field, sometimes in difficult circumstances.
- Computer skills to create and input into Word and Excel documents and navigate the internet and email.
- Apart from the duties and responsibilities as set out above, the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Context related skills, knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of the FSL context in Somali Region and the specific programme area
- Knowledge of the Somali language
- Experience with ongoing programme implementation.
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
How to Apply
For more vacancy alerts like Norwegian Refugee Council vacancy announcement, join us on Telegram