Health and Nutrition Coordinator, International Rescue Committee – IRC Vacancy Announcement; April 15, 2023
Organization: International Rescue Committee – IRC
Position: Health and Nutrition Coordinator
Employment: Full Time
Location: Addis Ababa
Experience Level: Senior Level (7 Years)
Salary: As per the scale
Date of Announcement: April 12, 2023
Deadline: Apr 18, 2023
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities in over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in ten regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
PROGRAM BACKGROUND: The IRC Ethiopia health and nutrition programs are currently being implemented in three distinct settings; refugee, local community, and emergency responses. Refugee health program has been implemented in 12 (but currently reduced camps because of destruction in Tigray, and Benishangul Gumz regional states) focusing on Primary health, Mental health, Reproductive Health (RH) and HIV/AIDs prevention programs. Local community health programs and emergency health and nutrition responses are currently operational in 7 regional states (Amhara, Tigray, Somali, Benishangul, Gambella, Oromia and SNNPR). Some of the major basic intervention for the local community are Peace and health program development; integrated Community Case Management (iCCM) of childhood illness, Core Group Polio project and Maternal and Neonatal Health projects; Emergency health & nutrition responses projects to respond to acute onset HN emergencies across the country directly or through partners.
SCOPE/JOB PURPOSE: The Health and Nutrition Coordinator will be part of the health and nutrition team in Addis Ababa and work towards supporting the Sr Health and Nutrition Coordinator for technical oversight and successful implementation of all health and nutrition projects implemented for refugee, host, and emergency communities by the IRC as well as contributing on business development initiatives and other strategic assignments. She/he will be responsible for technical oversight and successful implementation of projects nationally. She/he will provide technical support to the Sr Health and Nutrition managers at Addis country office and field-based health managers; track performance progresses and guide the team to meet project targets through effective budget utilization and conduct regular monitoring or evaluation visits on project sites for quality work delivery. She/he will make sure that the programs under the unit adhere to the national health and nutrition guidelines when designing and implementing projects.
1. Identify performance gaps and design interventions and develop action plans in collaboration with Sr Health and Nutrition managers and field managers to manage activities and improve the quality-of-service provision supported
2. Ensure quality of clinical and non-clinical service provision in IRC supported health facilities according to national, WHO or international standards through communication of standards, assessing and monitoring performance against standards and guiding and motivating staff to meet and maintain standard
3. In collaboration with the Sr Health and Nutrition Coordinator, monitor quality standards across all project sites
4. Provide timely and quality inputs to project design and implementation through reviewing or developing need and progress assessment tools; writing proposal budget and narrative; and developing TOC/log-frames while working with the rest of the unit’s team
5. Provide technical supportive supervision on all IRC health and nutrition projects in the region(s). Extend technical support and supervision to the IRC’s implementing partners when requested.
6. Represent IRC/participate at TWGs, consortium meetings and national clusters at FMOH, RHBs, EPHI and other stakeholders. Represent IRC on donor’s meetings in the absence of the Sr Health and Nutrition coordinator.
7. Maintain documentation of relevant information and communicate to the Sr Health and Nutrition coordinator regularly
8. Ensure that health interventions in Ethiopia adhere to IRC’s core policy documents and guidelines, including the Outcomes and Evidence Framework (OEF).
9. Promote the quality of the IRC’s health programs by setting up quality assurance systems and checks in collaboration with the Addis and field-based health and nutrition team.
10. Coordinate with other sectors within IRC multisectoral approached grants.
Program Management Grant Management
1. Ensure that health and nutrition grants are implemented according to internal IRC and donor regulations.
2. Participate in grant opening, midterm review and grant closing meetings for grants and ensure that the same process is implemented by the Sr Health and Nutrition managers and the field team.
3. Support the team in use of grant management tools such as the budget tracking tools, activity progress monitoring tools, procurement plans, etc.
4. Support the Sr Health and Nutrition Coordinator for all health and nutrition projects in grant management including adherence of budget expenditure according to IRC and donor regulation and participating in project review meeting.
1. Ensure that grant budgets are spent according to plan and as per contractual agreements with respective donors.
2. In collaboration with the Addis and field team review spending plans and monitor the implementation
3. Work with Sr Health and Nutrition Coordinator and other relevant staff to streamline and build capacity of program staff to effectively use budget tracking tools as well as project monitoring tools.
4. Conduct monthly BVA reviews and make appropriate recommendations to the finance and logistics staff in Addis as well as to the field-based health staff. Coordinate technical team inputs to, and directly provide inputs when needed to, project/budget amendments.
5. Work with finance to undertake budget recoding as required.
Monitoring & Evaluation
1. Ensure that the stated goals and objectives of projects overseen by the position are met with strong M&E follow up and reports are written and submitted to concerned bodies in a timely manner.
2. Participate in the design and delivery of robust M&E plans and design/adapt health information systems including surveillance systems for the IRC health programs in Ethiopia.
3. Review reports prepared by the Sr Health and Nutrition managers or field staffs and provide appropriate feedback to the concerned staff.
4. Conduct regular project review meetings with Sr Health and Nutrition managers and field-based health managers to assess the level of achievement of project targets for the various health grants.
5. Support the Sr Health and Nutrition Coordinator in other all health and nutrition projects M &E tool designing, project report reviewing and compilation and conducting projects review meeting.
Human Resource Management
1. Participate in the staff development plans for project staff based on performance reviews in collaboration with the human resources department and contribute to the training of health staffs (mentoring, on-the-job sessions as well as formal trainings).
2. In consultation with the Sr Health and Nutrition Coordinator and Admin & HR Coordinator, review applicants for all health positions and assist in the recruitment of qualified health staff.
· Represent IRC to local communities, government, departments, international agencies, local partners, and donors as required.
· Attend relevant meetings and prepare meeting notes as required and share these with all concerned.
• Support with the updating of the IRC’s staff health protocols and train staff as necessary.
• Other duties as assigned by the Sr Health and Nutrition Coordinator.
1. Master’s level education in health-related field such as MPH. Must have health clinical background (nursing, health officer, MD)
2. Seven years professional experience in implementing and managing health programs and related budgets.
3. Demonstrated experience supervising, managing, and providing technical support and assistance to field-based program/project staff.
4. Experience with an international NGO in a similar role is a plus.
5. Demonstrated experience in proposal development, including practical experience with budgeting, logframe development, and writing of technical descriptions.
6. Excellent English writing skills (candidates will be asked to demonstrate these skills in a practical exam if short listed)
7. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
8. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
9. Ability to work effectively and efficiently both with minimum supervision and as part of a team.
10. Result oriented
1. Experience managing Health and nutrition projects.
2. Experience in conducting health and nutrition assessments focusing on quality of care.
How to Apply
Candidates who meet the above qualifications; please send your CV and application letter through IRC career site:
Please include 3 references from current and former employers.
Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short listed and contacted.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
· Name of the position you have applied for
· Date of application
· Summary of your qualifications and experience
· Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
· Permanent Address and present address (if different from permanent) and telephone number if possible, also email address
· Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
For more vacancy alerts like this International Rescue Committee – IRC Vacancy Announcement, Join us on Telegram