Nutrition coordinator (F/M) – Médecins du Monde, January 8 2023
Organization: Médecins du Monde
Position: Nutrition coordinator (F/M)
Location: Addis Ababa
Employment: Fixed term contract
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM France has been working in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of projects from long-term interventions to emergency response. MdM France has concentrated its efforts on projects related to basic access to primary health care (projects centered on rural health facilities and isolated populations), reduction of maternal mortality through improved quality of obstetric care, promotion of sexual and reproductive health rights including protection against gender based violence, provision of Mental Health and Psycho Social Support (MHPSS) and reduction of malnutrition.
After a period of uncertainty, the mission has recently significantly grown. Although the Covid-19 pandemic was a challenge for the teams and the programming, in 2020 and 2021 it has expanded with its current programming in Semera (Afar) and Chinaksen (Oromia) where MdM France leads a consortium with COOPI and MdM Germany, and solid prospects for intervention in connection with the conflict in some parts of the country. The mission has also reshaped after the hand over of its project in Somali region to MdM Germany in May 2021. In 2023, MdM should start new activities in Tigray, for the first time since the start of the war.
Description of the post
Your role is to lead and provide technical support for planning and smooth operation of nutrition activities in any defined context.
This includes the active involvement in developing and rolling out the country nutrition strategy based on the specific context, assessments and needs identified, program implementation of multiple nutrition projects and fundraising.
- Contribute to the development of MdM strategy
- Be the focal point for the implementation on the mission of the MdM Horn of Africa strategy for the nutritional crisis
- Develop, update and design nutrition standards, protocols and good practices
- Ensure that nutrition components of the program are consistent with MdM-F strategy and the national nutrition strategy
- Follow up on the current data collection system for nutrition activities
- Cooperate with the different departments of the mission to ensure timely and quality supply of the programs needs
- Prepare detailed work plan and budget plan for nutrition activities
- Coordinate very closely with logistics in order to ensure that there is no break in nutrition program supplies
- Participate in the development, implementation and follow-up of researches
- Lead, plan and conduct nutritional assessments and surveys in existing and in potential new areas
- Lead the development of a referral mechanism and communication strategies
- Conduct regular on the field monitoring on MdM-F intervention areas and consortium partners’ intervention areas
- Supervise and support the nutrition program officers
- Identify the needs of nutrition staff for the program, draft their job profiles and organize their recruitment
- Participate in the briefing and debriefings, annual reviews for nutrition team members
- Participate in regular meetings with the other technical programs including consortium staff
In coordination with the human resources department and the program managers:
- Identify the needs for training and support and ensure the technical supervision of all MdM technical team and consortium partner’s technical team
- Participate in the design of training curriculum for mobile clinic workers and field workers on nutrition
- Organize the capacity building for staff working for other organizations and partners
Coordination with national and international partners
- Represent MdM in coordination meetings with local authorities and national and international health and mental health partners
- Participate in other strategic and coordination meetings relevant to the nutrition program
- Actively participate in technical meetings with the consortium partners of the project
- Provide monthly reporting about nutrition activities
- Participate in fundraising and in donor’s reporting
- Ensure the production of summaries and analysis of the data collected and compiled
Terms of employment
Starting date: as soon as possible and until December 31, 2023
Based in Addis Ababa (covering Somali, SNPP, Tigray, Oromia, Afar regions in Ethiopia and covering Kenya) 50% of the time of field visits / 50% in Addis.
Gross monthly salary: 2940 Euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two facilities – minimum of 6 months seniority required Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month) Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered Guesthouse housing
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (2.5 days teleworking on average per week) with a minimum of 1 day per week onsite
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Doctors of the World promotes training and internal mobility
Bachelor’s degree in nutrition or related field.
Master’s Degree in public health nutrition
At least 3 years of experience as nutrional coordinator
Advanced proficiency in the use of MS Office, and other computer applications
Ability to work in a volatile security context and to apply strict security rules
Ability to manage a team and work with partners in a multi-cultural setting
Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, ability to take initiatives to changing requirements
Ability to make quick decisions accordingly to the context in coordination with the team
Ability to manage priorities and to meet deadlines as well as work under pressure
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Languages: fluent English mandatory and knowledge in French is a plus
You embrace the core values and support the proactive philosophy of Médecins du Monde.
To respond to the announcement
Thank you for your interest in Doctors of the World. To register your application, please complete the following form. Required fields are marked with an asterisk. After clicking on “apply” at the end of the form, a confirmation of registration of your application will appear, a registration confirmation email will also be sent to the email address you entered in the form.