MHPSS Officer – Emergency Response – Amhara/Oromia/Afar (5)
International Medical Corps never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this recruitment, please report to International Medical Corps at the website provided below.
Website for reporting misconduct :www.InternationalMedicalCorps.ethicspoint.com. Please do not submit your CV or application to this website, it will not be considered for review
This position is a professional position within International Medical Corps (IMC) Ethiopia. The MHPSS Counselor will work under the direction and support of the Senior Mental Health Officer/Senior Emergency Health Response Officer. The position holder’s primary responsibilities include providing oversight of the psycho-social components of the mental health and psycho-social program, MH case consultations, mentoring and supervising mhGAP-HIG trained health workers at assigned intervention area and provide PSS services including counseling services at assigned location.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
· Conduct MH case consultations in collaboration with other MHNT staff
· Provide PSS services to the people in need
· Train and supervise government and MHNT health care providers on basic MH concepts including mhGAP-HIG
· Work with other MHNT team and government health workers to support integration of mental health and psycho-social support into general health care
· Provide psycho-social support services linked to general health care centers
· Support and collaborate with Senior Mental Health Officer/Senior Emergency Health Response Officer the facilitation of the mhGAP-HIG training and supervision for primary health care staff.
· Select, provide training and supervision for HEWs and community volunteers on basic MH concepts and referral pathways.
· Develop culturally appropriate psycho-social activities, including social support activities targeting IDPs or affected host communities. These include, but are not limited to training in psychological first aid, designing holistic recreational, vocational and social activities; development of material for awareness campaigns.
· Serve as the primary point of contact between IMC and local partners involved in psycho-social activities and MH case consultations.
· Provide culturally appropriate counseling services to people with mental health conditions or experiencing psycho-social challenges in accordance with professional ethics and best practices.
· Strengthen community-facility referral system for IDPs or affected host communities with MHPSS needs.
· Work in line with IASC guidelines on mental health and psycho-social support and promote guidelines where appropriate.
· Coordinate/ensure activities implementation with relevant Government Authorities, International and National Organizations, including standardized reporting practices.
· Organize and lead workshop for mental health club students to promote mental health in the school and create supportive environment for students with mental health conditions
· Organize and lead workshop for key community representatives, care and support group members, and model families to promote mental health in the community
· Work closely with other MHNT to ensure coordinated activities implementation
· Develop and provide culturally appropriate community based mental health care services
· Develop and organize consultation workshop with the indigenous healers, religious leaders, and refugee representatives
· Collaborate with informal service providers such as natural healers to facilitate information sharing and referral of mental health cases
· Collaborate with community and existing institutional structures to ensure protection of those suffering mental health conditions
· Represent IMC in different coordination meetings when necessary
· Compile information and prepare written reports as necessary
· Organize public awareness and de-stigmatization campaigns around mental health issues on a periodic base involving the people of concern
· Work collaboratively with other agencies, local and international and with relevant government bodies
· Implement other activities as per the direction and guidance from immediate supervisor
Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed in this document are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and not necessarily all inclusive.
- BSC degree in Psychiatry Nursing / MSC in ICCMH with at least 3 years of clinical experience in managing MNS conditions, PSS and Counseling services.
- At least 2 years of mental health and psychosocial programming experience
- In depth knowledge and experience of mental health and psychosocial programming in the humanitarian context essential.
- Familiarity with IASC Guidelines on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support In Emergency Settings
- Training experience required.
- Proven basic counselling skills
- Strong organizational and supervisory skills.
- Strong writing and reporting skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work within different cultural environments
- Honest, hardworking and a self-motivated person
- Ability to work within a team structure or in isolation, flexible, and can cope with stressful workloads and working with limited resources
- Ability to travel on short notice to project sites by car or air
- Excellent English verbal and written skills
- Computer skills: word, excel, and project manager
- Local language skills is a plus
Compliance & Ethics:
Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to positon, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these standards to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
How To Apply:
- Interested applicants who meet the above requirements should submit their application letter by clearly stating the position that you are applying for and CV at www.ethiojobs.net before December 29, 2022.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: IMC is equal opportunity employer and hence candidate from all background: religion, ethnic group, qualified women and people living with disabilities, etc are all encouraged to apply.