Programme Associate – Nutrition, World Food Programme (WFP); December 22 2022
Organization: World Food Programme (WFP)
Position: Programme Associate – Nutrition
Date of Announcement: December 20 2022
Deadline: 03 January 2023
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Job Title: Associate – Nutrition
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Duty station: Semera
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In 2020 WFP CO Ethiopia launched its Country Strategic Plan (CSP) 2020-2025. The five-year country strategic plan is based on WFP’s recognized strengths and on strong strategic and operational partnerships with the Government, private sector entities, non-governmental organizations and other United Nations agencies. While the bulk of operations continue to address the immediate short-term needs of refugees, internally displaced persons and other food-insecure and undernourished people, there is focus on expansion and intensification of climate change adaptation, resilience and livelihood diversification initiatives also linked to the humanitarian-development–peace nexus. WFP focuses on the prevention of malnutrition, the building of resilience and the integration of nutrition concerns and gender equality throughout the portfolio.
This job is based in the Afar Regional State, Semera Sub-Office. The job holder will report to a senior Programme and Policy Officer.
The job holder will be working under the close support and guidance of a more experienced professional staff member receiving guidance and regular feedback on work performed. The job holder will focus on nutrition-related interventions, both nutrition sensitive and nutrition specific. He/she is expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to various queries with only general guidance. He/she is required to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen operational problems on a daily basis and to manage resources and coach and coordinate support staff.
To provide effective specialized support and technical analyses to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of various nutrition activities and processes within the Sub-Office supporting alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
- Provide specialized project management support to nutrition and nutrition-related programmes to ensure that the various activities are performed within the established targets following WFP’s policies and procedures.
- Within nutrition interventions, prepare a range of reports and data analysis (e.g. programme status, performance, etc) and highlight trends/issues ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
- Ensure and/or perform accurate, timely recording of nutrition data and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to support effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of ongoing project activities.
- Coordinate and communicate with local partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions to perform accurate nutrition analyses and to ensure efficient delivery of assistance.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, cooperating partners and national government within the specific technical area.
- Act as a point of contact for resolution of a range of operational queries and problems in nutrition interventions.
- Oversee and/or review the work of other support staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to contribute to delivering objectives to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy needed nutrition assistance to affected areas at the onset of crises.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: University degree in Nutrition, Health Sciences, or other related fields relevant to nutrition.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written English is sufficient and knowledge of Afar language is an advantage.
Experience: Four or more years of postgraduate professional experience in nutrition and nutrition-related interventions. Experience in WFP specific programmes like targeted supplementary feeding, IYCF, Mobile Health and Nutrition Teams, IMAM, or other UN agency nutrition programmes would be advantageous.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfil the needs of internal and external partners.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Ability to work independently in a timely and organized manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Ability to work in a team and multi-task as needed.
- A strong understanding of nutrition issues
- Strong coordination and oversight skills
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
03 January 2023
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.