Senior Nutrition and Health Program Manager
Senior Nutrition and Health Program Manager
Availability: As Soon As Possible
Salary Scale:EMS – 09
Salary: 1,117 USD
Insurance– (Life, Group Personal Accident, and Medical Insurance are covered upon the organization’s policies).
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position.
About Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger-USA is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children and we enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 8,000 staff in over 50 countries, our programs reached 17 million people in 2019.
About the Country Program in Ethiopia
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Ethiopia since 1984 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sectoral strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH, and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience. Action Against Hunger currently operates in 5 different regions (Oromia, Somali, Amhara, Benishangul Gumuz, and Gambella) with a portfolio of 20m USD/year of emergency, resilience building, research, and innovation programs. We have a country team of around 600 staff in 17 regional and satellite offices. Our main donors in Ethiopia in 2020/2021 are BHA, ECHO, Euro paid, UNHCR, UNICEF, GFFO, BPRM, SIDA, EHF, WFP, CIAA, and others.
- Job Summary
The Senior Nutrition and Health Program Manager under the direct supervision of the field coordinator in Gambella will be responsible for the overall technical oversight and guidance of Nutrition and Health Programs in host communities and refugee camps. S/he will be involved in the Nutrition and Health program designing, planning, monitoring, implementation, and analysis of program data in close consultation with field and capital-based technical experts and department heads. S/he will strengthen and support the capacity of Action Against Hunger in delivering quality nutrition and health services for the most vulnerable and underserved communities, including Refugees and Other People of Concern. S/he will work more closely with the field coordinator and other support staff at the base level in addressing administrative issues for the smooth implementation of nutrition and health projects in Gambella. S/he is also expected to work in partnership with local government authorities, UNCHR, RRS, Other partners operating in the region, and Action Against Hunger team. Other duties might be assigned as deemed necessary.
As a key member of the Nutrition and Health Department, the Senior Nutrition and Health Program Manager will be based in Gambella, with significant travel to different refugee camps and host community districts.
The Senior Nutrition and Health Program Manager will support Action Against Hunger in designing, setting up, and implementing as well as monitoring prioritized nutrition and health programs in the Gambella region with a particular emphasis on ensuring the quality of services delivery and fulfilling donors’ standards as well as commitments. S/he will give overall technical oversight to the nutrition and health services in both host communities and refugee camps responses in close consultation with respective area Nutrition and Health Program Managers and administratively with the field coordinator administratively.
Internally, this position will engage primarily with the Field Coordinator, Nutrition and Health PMs, and capital-based Nutrition and Health experts as well as other departments within the organization such as MEAL, FSL, PGMHPSS, WASH, and Support departments. Externally, this position will engage with Regional Health Bureau, DRMC, UNHCR, UNICEF, WHO, WFP, and other partners and donors.
The Senior Nutrition and Health Program manager is expected to spearhead major nutrition and health program delivery at the field level in close consultation with capital HoDs and the field coordinator. S/he will be measured primarily by the effectiveness and efficiency project entailing key program delivery and achieving results as well as on-time and on-budget execution of project commitments while ensuring Action Against Hunger and Donors program quality standards and requirements.
Essential Job duties:
Coordination of Nutrition and Health programs & Implementation (40%):
- The Senior Nutrition and Health Program Manager will serve as the leading focal point behind the design and implementation of the nutrition and health projects on a day-to-day basis in both host communities and refugee camps, putting in place mechanisms and measures to ensure quality delivery of services according to standard protocols, SOPs and donor agreements. This function is expected to include:
- Together with the base and capital-based technical experts, S/he will participate in the development of a feasible program quality assurance tool design and ensures the tools are appropriate to the host and refugee context.
- Systematically review existing standard nutrition and health protocols, and develop specific operational guidance/SOPs for nutrition and health program implementation in host and refugee communities for a standardized and harmonized program implementation. This includes planning for staffing as d per each intervention area.
- Collaborating with Nutrition and Health-HoD to design and lead start-ups for new and innovative nutrition and health programs in the project areas, including hiring and training facility staff.
- Collaborating with base and capital Nut and Health experts as well as the MEAL department to develop data collection tools, data entry, and databases, as well as ensure their proper utilization to track and monitor during program implementation
- Hiring, training, and managing all Nutrition and Health staff under direct supervision as well as monitoring and capacity them to effectively and efficiently do their jobs.
- Working closely with UNHCR, RRS, partner, community representatives as well as frontline health workers to identify areas of concern, gaps and need as well as to ensure that timely response and feedback is made.
- Collaborate with MEAL department in closely monitoring, analyzing, and interpreting Action Against Hunger nutrition and health program/contextualized data and make sense of it to internal and external targets by highlighting key results as well as recommended action points.
- Managing and overseeing supply requests and timely procurement of nutrition and health supplies in coordination with Nutrition and Health PMs, Logistics, and Finance Departments.
- Support and assist Nutrition and Health PMs at the base level on timely initiation of procurement of services and goods by applying standard procedures such as early development of PPP and SP as well as close follow-up of raised PLs with logistics and finance department.
- Lead on ensuring the quality of APR, periodic and routine donor reports produced by Nutrition and Health PMs are improved, through review and capacity building measures.
- Ensuring appropriate utilization of BFU among Nutrition and Health PMs and support in tracking project progresses against key deliverable and in budget spending status to ensure that projects are implemented on time, on budget, and with the highest quality execution.
Partnerships and Engagement (30%):
- The Senior Nutrition and Health Program Manager will serve as the primary focal point between Action Against Hunger and Nutrition and Health stakeholders in Gambella, including Regional Sector Offices, including RHB, UNHCR, RRS, UNICEF, donors, and other stakeholders. This function is expected to include:
- Strategically engaging in partnership with RHB, UNHCR, RRS, UNICEF, WFP, and other partners operating in the region as well as with relevant coordination platforms.
- Engaging with regional-level nutrition and health coordination mechanisms (e.g., Nutrition Cluster, technical working groups) to ensure effective representation and participation of Action Against Hunger in these platforms.
- Leveraging program partnerships with key partners and stakeholders in the region with whom Action Against Hunger will engage closely to design and implement high-impact nutrition and health programs to optimize the result.
- Leading engagement with regional levels coordination platforms such as ECSC-SUN, NFNS/P multisectoral coordination platforms, Nutrition and Health task forces, and specific Technical Working Groups (TWGs) to ensure that Action Against Hunger is well represented and continuously contributing to the regional nutrition and health agenda.
- Capitalizing on the strengths of Action Against Hunger to ensure that the Nutrition and Health activities and expertise is well-represented internally and externally, among other stakeholder audiences
- Ensure that the technical guidance and agreed action points in regional nutrition and health coordination platforms are clearly communicated internally to all staff and translated into action in a duly manner.
- Engage effectively with MEAL, for Archiving Nutrition and Health program records, report, and data as well as in planning and implementing nutrition and health surveys, assessments and research.
- Collaborate with MEAL, PGMHPSS, FSL, EPR, and WASH departments for an integrated program designing, implementation, join monitoring and supervision, knowledge management, etc.
- Engage effectively with support departments, notably with finance, HR, and Logistics to ensure on-time and on-budget implementation of projects with the highest quality execution.
Human Resource Management and staff development (30%):
The Senior Nutrition and Health Program Manager is responsible to:
- Support evaluation of the skill and technical competence of Nutrition and Health PMs under direct supervision.
- Conduct periodic performance evaluations/appraisals and development of action plans for staff under direct supervision.
- Identify training needs of Nutrition and Health staff, including PMs, and organize training based on needs identified in collaboration with capital Nutrition and Health experts as well as other entities.
- Manage his/her team’s motivation, synergy, collaboration, commitment and wellness, capacity, and other competency areas.
- Take part in the recruitment of Nutrition and Health staff in consultation with the field coordinator and base admin/HR.
- Organize (in collaboration with the field coordinator) monthly team meetings to identify challenges, develop an action plan and follow up on their implementation accordingly.
- Identify and report any issues emerging within the Nutrition and Health team and propose way forwards to address the issues.
- Follow up and manage staff leave plans and HR-related issues in consultation with the field coordinator and base admin/HR.
- Take the responsibilities and tasks assigned by the field coordinator during his/ her absence or when delegated.
- Capacitate other staff through delegation of duties and promoting a culture of knowledge and skill sharing.
- Acting as the direct technical supervisor for Nutrition and Health Program Managers based in Gambella.
- S/he will technically appraise annually/periodically the Nutrition and Health Program Managers in Gambella.
- S/he will support the hiring, training, and supervision of Nutrition and Health Program Managers and supervisors in Gambella.
- S/he will manage specific grant budgets as deemed necessary.
- S/he will also give an overarching oversight of each project budget managed by Nut and Health PMs looking at the efficient and timely utilization of committed budgets, in reference to BFUs.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with interruptions.
- While traveling to various refugee camps and host community woredas, the employee must attest to a level of physical fitness capable of enduring physically difficult, highly stressful situations which may include the necessity to walk long distances, eat a limited diet, and/or reside in potentially uncomfortable housing or tents.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel, and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required by contact with the missions, mission security, or other obligations.
- Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business travel as well as to the missions if appropriate. While visiting the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high-security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
Gender Equality Commitments & Zero Tolerance to Abuse
- Foster an environment that reinforces the values of people of all genders and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where people of all genders must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Promote a safe, secure, and respectful environment for all stakeholders, particularly for children, beneficiaries, and members of staff.
- Help to prevent any type of abuse including workplace harassment and sexual abuse and exploitation.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, and children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
- Required Qualifications and Years of Experience
- A master’s degree from an accredited college or university in a major social or health science field of study, preferably Food Security, Nutrition, Public Health, and Epidemiology with more than (5) years of relevant experience in the field of humanitarian and development nutrition and health, public health, and integrated programs in host and refugee camps.
- or a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a major social or health science field of study, preferably in Doctor of medicine, public health, human nutrition, and at least 8 years of relevant experience in the field of humanitarian and development nutrition and health, public health, and integrated programs in host and refugee camps.
- Experienced in managing nutrition and health programs and staff in a senior management position and in complex environments.
- Previous experience in managing projects funded by UNHCR, ECHO, UNICEF, BPRM, and GFFO is desirable.
- Familiarity with the national and regional RMNCH strategies, policies, action plans, and key donors funded project requirements and procedures.
- Well-trained in high-impact nutrition and health interventions preferably in the Ethiopian context.
- Familiarity with key donor-funded project requirements and procedures.
- Exposure to national and subnational health and nutrition sectoral/cluster coordination platforms and different TWGs.
- Good strategic and analytical ability with strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Embracing Diversity, Self-Awareness, and Self-Regulation, good experience in staff management and capacity building.
- Strong flexibility in terms of mobility and working hours as well as the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Desirable project management skills, quality report writing skills, and capable of working in a team.
- Experience in organizing and participating in field-level surveys, assessments, and program monitoring and evaluation exercises.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, networking, and representation skill.
- Knowledge and skills of MS Office Suite are required and skills in other statistical software (Epi Info 7, ENA for SMART, and SPSS) are desirable.
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize multiple tasks with minimum supervision.
- Genuine interest and commitment to the mission and principles of Action Against Hunger.
- Fluency (written and Spoken) in English is compulsory.
- Knowledge of more than one local language, including Amharic is a plus.
How To Apply:
- APPLICATION PROCEDURE
If you are interested, please send your application composed of none returnable CV, a Covering Letter with “Senior Nutrition and Health Program Manager -Gambella”written in the subject line, and three references, applicants should apply to the following addresses:
NB: Only shortlisted applicants will be communicated and the selection process includes a technical test and an interview.