INFECTION PREVENTION AND CONTROL (IPC) SUPERVISOR (Local status)
- Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 70 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
Duration: Untile December 31, 2022 with possible extension
Main Purpose Implementing and supervising an infection control program in a project or health facility, according to MSF protocols, safety and IPC measures, in order to ensure quality of care and safety of patients, caretakers and staff. Accountabilities • In collaboration with each service activity manager, maintaining and supporting the day to day implementation by the ward supervisor of the standard precautions in health structures in all departments including sterilization, laundry and kitchen, and providing technical supervision, training and support to the staff on IPC related issues using existing tools such as audits, checklist, surveillance.
• Implementing and monitoring adherence to additional precautions for air, droplet and contact transmissible diseases when indicated. Based on a given patient-diagnosis, evaluating the need and supporting the implementation, if needed, for additional precautions in collaboration with the medical team and act accordingly
• Supporting in the implementations planned, the correct ‘clean and dirty flows’ inside the health facility. Ensuring that environmental standards and administrative measures in the facility are respected (bed spacing, number of handwashing stations etc.) and together with the Hospital Facilities Manager and WHS Supervisor, that the essential requirements are available in the health structures
• Guaranteeing compliance to aseptic care techniques and to the correct use of antiseptics, disinfectants and detergents, through trainings and audits.
• Checking the consumption and the quality of IPC materials and equipment, including cleaning materials and equipment, PPE, etc.
• As member of the Infection Control Committee, participating actively in the lively and pro-active tenue of the meeting, supporting the development and following up the Infection Control Action Plan.
• Supervising the team under his/her responsibility and participating in the associated HR processes (e.g. recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, coaching, development and communication) in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required.
• Reporting any irregularities to NAM or IPC managers or PMR and producing reports with information recommendations for the monthly medical reporting
• IPC standard precautions include Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), hand hygiene, prevention of accidental exposure to body fluids, safe and appropriate treatment of re-usable medical devices, waste management, cleaning and disinfection of surface and environment, respiratory hygiene and individual hygiene for staff, caretakers and patients. IPC essential requirements include water supply, solid waste and waste water treatment/disposal, latrines and shower facilities, dead bodies management, vector control and medical waste management.
• Transmission-based Precautions (TBP): are the second level of basic infection control and are to be used in addition to standard precautions for patients who may be infected or colonized with certain infectious agents for which additional precautions are needed to prevent infection transmission (contact, droplet, airborne).
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities – Ability to work and support MoH Staff and MoH Structures in a team relationship;
– Ability to trainee MoH Satff and MSF Staff.
– Essential: Nurse or midwife (or equivalent, Paramedical or Medical) diploma / EPI / pharmacist diplomas
– Preferable with IPC background experience or diploma
– Minimum 2 years of experience.
– Previous experience working with MSF desirable
– Previous experience in inpatient nutrition for children under 5 desirable.
– Previous experience in emergency department and/or mass casualty response desirable
English and Amharic required; Afar desirable
Basic computer skills including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word
Competencies · Knowledgeable about pharmacy stock management
How To Apply:
All applicants should send a CV, a cover letter, educational records, work certificates and a copy of national ID.
Application can be submitted/sent: by email: [email protected] OR YOU CAN BRING HARD COPY TO OUR OFFICE LOCATED AT AFAR, SEMERA INFRONT OF ARDI ETHIOPIA HOTEL (please indicate on the subject box: the vacancy title and your name)
Posting date: 24/10/2022
Closing date: 04/11/2022
MSF Belgium promotes the EQUITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION.
We strongly encourage women and people with reduced mobility (able to work in remote places) to apply.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Copies of CV + supporting documents are non-returnable. Phone calls are not allowed.