Assistant Researcher (Medical Laboratory)
Internal Vacancy Announcement
The Armauer Hansen Research Institute (AHRI, https://ahri.gov.et) in 1970 through the initiative of the Norwegian and Swedish Save the Children organizations seconded by the Ministry of Health of Ethiopia. The Institute got its name from the Norwegian physician, Gerhard Henrik Armauer Hansen, who first described the leprosy bacillus (Mycobacterium leprae). AHRI is a biomedical research institute that works in developing tools for prevention, control and treatment of mycobacterium and other diseases of public healthy importance through applied and basic biomedical research and training.
AHRI has six research directorates; Biotechnology, Bacterial/viral diseases, Tuberculosis/Leprosy, Non-communicable diseases, Malaria and Neglected Tropical Diseases, and Clinical Trial. AHRI, over its 50 years in service, is well known for its hub function for skill and technology transfer and partnership embracing research agendas with direct impact in the development and transformation of population in Ethiopia and beyond. With a grant obtained from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Malaria and Neglected Tropical Diseases Research Directorate (MNTD), is looking for self-driven, motivated and energetic researchers to join our team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Prepare laboratory SOPs, optimize laboratory procedures and conduct laboratory activities in MNTD directorate
· Support the PIs of the projects on protocol development and Manuscript writing
· Plan and conduct data collection, data entry and data cleaning activities
· Conducting blood sample collection, field label malaria diagnosis (RDT, preparing thin and thick blood film, perform microscopic detection) and Dried Blood Spot (DBS) preparation
· Conducting Molecular and Serological based diagnostic lab activities
· Participate on report write up and manuscript development
· Perform real-time data capture while assigned for data collection
· Ensure standards and the quality of laboratory procedures by strictly following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
· Adhere to biosafety measures adopted in the laboratory, minding the safety of oneself and others.
· Facilitate to maintenance of established system of organized record keeping and information management for timely delivery of results, data collection, analysis and reporting for laboratory monitoring and facilitation to operational research.
· Facilitate in maintenance of laboratory equipment in good working order and operate equipment appropriately following SOPs.
· Prompt response to the requests from project coordinator, manager, local data collectors and the study participants
· Experience in field travel is an added advantage
- · BSc Degree in Laboratory Science/Technology from a recognized university and minimum of two years of laboratory work experience specifically in health institutions; OR MSc Degree in Laboratory Science/Technology from a recognized university
· Minimum GPA of 3.00 for male and 2.75 for female
· Trainings related to Bio-Safety and Bio-security and Malaria Microscopy
· Strong computer literacy (MS office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and internet use)
· Excellent interpersonal communication skill
· Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels
· Ability to work with others/team work, including international collaborators
· Willingness to take up out of office tasks
· Publications is an added advantage
How To Apply:
- Interested applicants who fulfilled the above requirements should send the following through ethiojobs.net on or before October 14, 2022.
- A CV/resume (not more than 4 pages)
- A cover letter (not more than one page)
- A one page table summarizing your educational background, technical skills and competencies to facilitate the screening process
References: Please provide three references including their e-mail address.
Terms of Employment: One year contract period with full time employment basis with possible extension based on performance and budget availability.
Number Required: 1 (one)
Duty station: Addis Ababa
NB: One applicant is allowed to apply only in one position (multiple positions application is not allowed and the application will not be considered)