Short Term – Research Assistant
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation (KNCV) is one of the leading international non-profit organizations dedicated to fighting tuberculosis (TB) worldwide. We are an international center of expertise for TB control that stimulates effective, efficient and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals; including medical doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. Over the past century we have built a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully driving back TB in the Netherlands, and subsequently by partnering in the fight against TB in over 40 countries worldwide. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands and additional country offices worldwide). KNCV raises funds from individual, institutional and corporate donors.
The most widely implemented means of supporting TB patients and ensuring treatment adherence is Directly Observed Treatment (DOT) where a health care worker observes (in-person) the patient’s daily ingestion of medication, either at the health facility or patient’s home. While the DOT approach has advanced global decline in TB incidence, innovations are needed to improve TB care.
The implementation of digital adherence technologies (DAT) can help to overcome health care disparities by allowing patients greater freedom to self-manage and participate in their own care, reduce financial burdens and restore autonomy and dignity, and simultaneously empower providers with accurate and timely information to provide differentiated care.
- KNCV leads the ASCENT (Adherence Support Coalition to End TB- project), a Unitaid-funded 3.5 year project that will implement digital adherence technology (DAT interventions) in five key countries (Ethiopia, the Philippines, South Africa, Tanzania, and Ukraine) in order to enable innovative new patient-centered, optimized TB care pathways for all types of TB (DS-TB, DR-TB, LTBI) and support the growing global momentum towards the use of these technologies. For more information, kindly visit: https://www.digitaladherence.org/. In Ethiopia, ASCENT is implemented in Addis Ababa City and neighboring towns of Oromia region.
Purpose of the position and organizational position
KNCV aims to generate a robust evidence base for the above described new tools and interventions as they are implemented, assisting the stakeholders in the country to apply these and facilitate the sharing of knowledge and experience. As a Research Assistant, your work will be diverse. You may collect facility data into electronic database, administer surveys and questionnaires to patients- and health provider , perform basic data analysis under the guidance of Research officer/Trial Manager, monitor study activities and study related data centrally and at participating health facilities, and carry out other operational research activities, as part of the ASCENT project to enhance evidence-based decision-making.
The Research Assistant reports administratively to the ASCENT Project Manager and functionally to the Research officer. The research assistant will work closely as a team with the 2 other existing Research assistants The Research officer/Trial manager coordinates the work of the Research Assistants. The Research Assistant also work closely together with the ASCENT M&E Officer.
As a Research Assistant, you will
- Perform data collection and project site coordination under guidance of Research officer/Trial Manager
- Gather and enter data through patient and healthcare worker surveys and interviews regarding the use of various digital adherence technology (DAT) solutions, though face-to-face (if possible) and mobile-based/online-based data entry;
- Collect qualitative data through Key informant interview and transcribe the collected data
- Actively contribute to the translation of the qualitative data.
- Regularly visit intervention and control facilities in Addis Ababa City and neigbouring towns of Oromia region
- Use a linking table to input data from facility TB registers into the research database using RedCap.
- Ensure timely and complete reporting from all data collection activities following approved reporting formats;
- Coordinate and participate in joint supportive-supervision visits to the study facilities;
- Provide support to facility health care workers in using the ASCENT platform: enrolling and following patients and implementing differentiated care;
- Ensure study activities are uniformly applied in intervention facilities
- Assist the Trial Manager in the analysis of data and writing of research outputs.
- Attend regular team meetings;
- Prepare biweekly progress reports in line with the required formats.
- Work closely with the Trial Manager on operational aspects of the study
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- Two months contract with the intention to extend the contract;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant experience
Number of Position – One
Duty station: Addis Ababa and Oromia Region
- Educational Requirements
- At least a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent qualification;
- Preferably a graduate of health science courses (e.g., Nursing, Public Health, etc.) or any research-oriented degrees (e.g., Statistics, etc.);
- Fresh graduates are welcome to apply, as long as minimum qualifications are satisfied.
Knowledge and Experience
- Moderate to strong health or implementation research background;
- Demonstrated experience with field data collection (through surveys or key informant interviews) and/or coordination;
- Moderate proficiency in electronic data entry using electronic platforms (e.g., RedCap, ODK, etc.);
- Beginner to moderate proficiency in using research related software: R, Stata, SPSS, SAS, EpiInfo or MS Excel for quantitative analyses and NVIVO for qualitative analyses;
- Willingness to do regular field visits 50 % of time for project sites in Addis Ababa City and Oromia Region
- Familiarity with pulmonary Tuberculosis and the related DOTS implementation by the National TB Program (NTP);
- Demonstrated experience in writing technical and/or research documents;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and effective oral and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently, both face-to-face and online using mobile/online communication and project management platforms;
- Prior training in good clinical practice/health research ethics.
- Behavioral competencies and skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English.
How To Apply:
- You can apply for this position by submitting your CV, and 3 professional references via the following email: [email protected] before October 05,2022. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team: + 251116673801.
Please note that we only consider the applications that are received through the above mentioned email address only.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled person.