Senior Health and Nutrition Officer
- The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees required to flee from war or disaster. IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 1999 and is implementing coordinated, community-managed programs sought at improving the quality of affected people and recovery of livelihood of the disaster-affected population’s through promoting individual participation, strengthening institutions, and emergency response.
The Senior Health and nutrition Officer (SHNO) will be primarily responsible for supporting Emergency health and nutrition response and implementation. In addition, S/he is responsible to coordinate and guide a team working on emergency health and nutrition services as well as responsible for accurate planning, coordination, supervision and monitoring of project activities. With the health and nutrition manager, S/HE will select, train, and supervise Health and nutrition Officers (HNOs). S/HE will report to health and nutrition manager.
- Ensure implementation of emergency health response project through planning, supervise progress against grant work plan and on time delivery of emergency health response activities.
- Prepare regular updates and share to direct supervisor and other department staff
- Compile field activity reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual) and forward to supervisor and other appropriate departments
- Assist in collecting important data for drafting concept papers, proposals, and budgets for future emergency responses by IRC Ethiopia as required.
- Follow all IRCs standard grant Management tools as recommended by the Addis based health unit and M & E unit
- Work closely with supervisor in management of the grant budget and supervise budget expenditure monthly and report appropriately.
- Prepare Purchase Requests for program supplies/activities and undertake field procurement as designated and authorized.
- Regular field monitoring visit to emergency hotspot areas where IRC is responding for emergencies health and nutrition responses activities and provide technical support.
- Actively participate in internal and external evaluation of emergency response interventions.
- Maintain quality of project activities, data and documents
- Attend and represent IRC Health Rapid Response in relevant meetings organized by UN, Government, donors, clusters and other NGOs. Prepare meeting notes as required and share these with all concerned.
- Fully comply with IRC safety and security procedures and provide input to security monitoring and assessments to enable and promote a safe and secure environment for program implementation.
- Supervise field Team, facilitate training sessions based on the needs assessment and review and evaluate the performance the team.
- Work with other sectorial staff– WASH, CWI, NFIs and Education to ensure coordinated approach in program implementation in his/her woredas.
- Ensure integration of child protection, and child safeguarding principles and provide support in developing and implement a community-based communication strategy.
- Stay up to date on health-related humanitarian/emergency situations in the zone specifically targeted woredas and actively share that with supervisors and other colleagues
- Identify training needs and facilitate trainings for IRC and partner staffs in emergency health situations at woreda, zonal and regional level when assigned.
- The post holder will take additional responsibilities as required as by the direct supervisor and field coordinator.
- MSc/BSc Degree/Diploma in Public Health, Nutrition or Reproductive Health.
- Minimum work experience of 2 year for MSc Degree holders, 3 years for BSc Degree holders & 5 years for Diploma holders.
- Basic managerial and supervisory skill in NGO context and basic health and nutrition trainings (CMAM, IMNCI, PHEM, SRH… etc) is required
- Experience of project management and ability to plan, organize, and supervise implementation of emergency health response projects.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of current disaster management issues in Ethiopia and understanding of role of different partners.
- Confirmed experience in staff management, budget management and leading effective teams.
- Excellent of communication and representation skills with different partners.
- Excellent technical and report writing skills and with excellent computer knowledge.
- Excellent verbal and written communication of English. Knowledge of Afan Oromo is advantageous.
- Ability to work under pressure and travel frequently to project sites.
How To Apply:
- Candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply only through the below IRC Online recruitment website:
Please include 3 references from current and former employers.
Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short-listed and contacted.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
- Name of the position you have applied for
- Date of application
- Summary of your qualifications and experience
- Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
- Permanent Address and present address (if different from permanent) and telephone number if possible also email address
- Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
Professional Standards:The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.