Position: Health Officer
Who we are
SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia is an International Non-governmental organization and a member of SOS Children’s Villages International Federation. The organization started its humanitarian work with the opening of its first Village in Mekelle, Northern part of Ethiopia in 1974. The organization has been providing life-saving provisions such as food, water and health services for a very significant number of children devastated by severe drought and the subsequent famine.
Today, we have grown significantly to meet the persistent challenges that confront Ethiopian children who have lost parental care and are at risk of losing their parental care. Working in close collaboration with international donors, local government and community based organizations across seven program locations; SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia aspires that every child grows up with love, respect and security.
As part of SOS CVE’s effort to respond to different emergencies such as drought, flood, conflict etc, which arise from time to time in different parts of the country, the organization has secured funding from the DERF to implement a six months emergency response project in the NSouth Wollo zone Wadla, Gazo, Angot Woredas of the Amhara region. The project will work to address the food Integrated Emergency health, Nutrition, RMNH, ES/NFI, food security and Livelihood needs of returnee in the South Wollo zone Wadla, Gazo, Angot Woredas of the Amhara region.
Why we need you?
We are looking for a Health and Nutrition Officer who will be responsible for implementation of all components of the project related to health and nutrition activity and provision of technical and professional support in the target communities’ project area and contribute to the delivery of effective and high quality health and nutrition intervention.
- What we provide…
An amazing work environment that promotes personal growth through providing professional space to grow and advance your career
While working with us a Health and Nutrition Officer you will be;
Reporting to: Project Filed Coordinator
In charge of the following:
- Providing quality technical Support and ensure effective implementation of health activities as per the set plan of action
- S/he also working with and providing technical support and guidance on health activity to project area health staff
- Responsible for capacity-building of field staff and government partners using relevant tools and technical approach
- Ensuring that all activities related to health are implemented in a coordinated and harmonized manner.
- Working closely with other program staff to ensure program quality and impact in line with the goals and objectives of the program
- Ensuring measurable impact of health activities and a robust M&E system is in place
- Ensuring quality of health activities designed to reduce the vulnerability of women
- Monitoring progress and provide ongoing feedback and recommendations to the project management;
- Participating in the health assessments carried out in project operational areas
- Providing technical and professional support in the area of health in the target communities; Providing support for all trainings, workshops, and meetings conducted at project area, which includes preparing training plan in organizing and facilitating events; Conduct training need assessments to identify knowledge gaps/needs in government line offices.
- Conducting baseline information related access to health in collaboration with other staff members and prepares plan of action for respective project area;
- Conducting joint, supportive and facilitative supervision with project area staff on the activities of community health agents; Supervises project activities and budgets, which includes tracking of project activities;
- Working closely with communities, health facilities and project area Health Office and other government partners and community-level institutions to promote quality health interventions with targeted households;
- Keeping updated with developments in the health sectors, including best practice examples and ensure ongoing personal development and learning;
- Participating in the documentation and dissemination of lessons learned in available forums.
- Preparing monthly/quarterly progress reports and submits to file project coordinator; Coordinates quarterly review meetings;
- Up for the challenge…
Then check out our criteria’s:
The must haves:
- BSc. degree in public Health, Nursing, Nutrition and other relevant fields of study
- A minimum of 2 years work experience in the field of emergency health and nutrition intervention specifically SAM & MAM management.
Additional Requirements and required competencies
- Strong knowledge on monitoring and evaluation and report writing
- Ability to plan and organize work to meet individual, team and project objective
- Have Training and facilitation skill
- Ability to effectively liaise with government, donors, NGOs, community leaders and other stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability for conflict resolution and independent decision making
- Strong interpersonal skills & excellent team player.
- Willingness and ability to work in hardship environment.
- Cultural and gender sensitivity
- Knowledge of latest health related technical guidelines and standards in emergency nutrition and health intervention
- Experience in quality assurance in a clinical setting desirable.
- Prior INGO experience is an asset
How To Apply:
Excited to take on a new Challenge…….
Then send us your application through
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply
“Our selection process is a reflection of our engagement and dedication to acquire talents that promote a safe and enabling environment for children and young people”