Hygiene and sanitation officer
Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Coordinator is responsible to handle different activities of WASH – software part, health and Nutrition at grass root level.
Accountabilities and Main work Activities
Project design, implementation, and reporting
- Ensure that the WASH promotion activities of the project are implemented according to the approved donor and government agreements.
- Planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting, and review of response activities as per the agreed document with donors and partners.
- Carrying out needs assessments and identifying activities to increase awareness and enhance hygiene behavior change.
- Report request of material needed for the Sanitation & Hygiene promotion activities and design IEC material according to the specific targeted group (adults, children, and persons living with disabilities).
- Design, monitor and implement WASH promotion activities according to the identified needs. These may include but are not limited to: conducting sex and age-segregated consultations with the affected community, WASH kits distributions, WASH kits use demonstrations, water treatment, and water quality monitoring, training and follow-up of community health workers, and cleaning campaigns.
- Design, monitor and implement WASH promotion activities that keep the community and the staff safe from the risk of WASH Related diseases.
- Provide daily/weekly reports to immediate supervisor. Provide monthly and quarterly reports for line managers and WaSH project Manager
- Provide WASH promotion-related training for the Water Management Committee, governmental technicians, and concerned community members related to measures to remain protected from WASH-related disease and the importance of proper use and maintain WASH infrastructures for the community to remain safe and healthy.
- Be based in the targeted regions (depending on the needs) for several days per week to monitor the activities, including an overnight stay in rural areas.
- Work in close coordination with the community and all its representatives, including women, children, the elderly, and persons living with disabilities to ensure the specific needs and suggestions from all targeted beneficiaries are known. Work in close coordination with the WASH Coordinator and other sectors colleagues to ensure that the overall WASH response address the needs of the targeted population, in the respect of dignity and local culture.
- Develop a checklist for WASH NFI distribution and monitor a regular data collection in the field during needs assessments, post distribution monitoring and, baseline, and end-line surveys.
- Undertakes any other relevant tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Related to Program Design;
- Facilitate and collect baseline information and data from the community and submit it to PA for further analysis. Prepare the baseline report for his line manager.
Related to coordination, partnership, and networking
- In addition to the WASH coordinator, he/she can be Serve as a principal representative to WASH thematic networks and clusters in the project areas that have relevance to the project implementation, to create collaborative and positive partnerships and alliances, and to influence policy that maximizes the impact of the project.
- Establish links and good relationships with relevant district government authorities, UN organizations, NGOs, academic and research institutions, and the media, in the area of water, sanitation, and hygiene to draw information and knowledge for project efficiency and effectiveness.
- Makes follow up and proper documentation and share district government information, and strategies with respect to water sanitation and hygiene.
Related to capacity building support
- Provide technical assistance and build the capacities of local partners in project management.
- Provide guidance to colleagues and partner staffs on smooth partnership management for enhanced project implementation.
- Ensure that appropriate partner assessment is done on time and communicated to relevant staff.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- University degree in Environmental Health, water supply, public health or a related subject. Adequate experience in the field will substitute for formal qualifications.
- Minimum 5 years of the total experience of which experience in the WASH sector and experience in emergency WASH is advantageous.
- Experience in WASH facilities construction in a complex and demanding workload.
- Substantial experience in coordinating, mobilizing community, planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and reporting.
- Demonstrated work experience in designing, supervising, and implementing water, sanitation and hygiene infrastructural programs in community, school and health centers.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work in rural areas where the project is implemented, within approved security frameworks.
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication, presentation, and facilitation skills and an ability to train and mentor staff.
- Desired spoken and written English.
- Good computer skills (particularly Excel, Word and databases).
Skills Specific to the Post
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with colleagues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation.
- Strong negotiation, influencing, and problem-solving skills.
- Numeracy and the ability to interpret financial data, in order to understand budgetary processes including planning, monitoring, and reporting
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate options including planning skills.
- Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other application
How To Apply:
- The closing date for the application is August 10, 2022. Qualified candidates should submit their application with the links provided below.
For internal applicants:
For external applicants:
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
- Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- We are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated links.
- Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to Apply
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.