Health and Nutrition Officer – Roster
The position holder shall be in charge of technical quality implementation and delivery of the mobile health and Nutrition services in the assigned Woreda.
She/he will mainly be responsible for the day to day implementation of outreach EPI, health education, and screening, OTP, as per the guideline of RHB and WHO mobile health and Nutrition teams. In addition, the position holder is also expected to provide supervision, technical assistance and capacity building to health extension workers and Health workers in health facilities. She/he will be responsible for the daily implementation of mobile health and Nutrition services package as per the standard, supporting health facilities assigned as integrated mobile health & Nutrition modality and daily dispensary and drug supply management. He will also be responsible for day to day documentation, people provided for health education, vaccinated children, screened children and mothers, children admitted to OTP, and all provided services accordingly and compile weekly and monthly reports and share with Field office health response coordinator and Woreda health offices.
ACCOUNTABILITIES and MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
Planning and Implementation of the Health and nutrition activities (30%)
- Develop detail action plan and Ensure effective implementation of health and nutrition component in line with the existing donor approved project document in collaboration with other the project staff and other stakeholders.
- Lead the health team that involve health and Nutrition assistant and Home-based care providers and closely coordinate with other project staff
- Improving basic preventive health care at community level with emphasis health, immunization, health and nutrition services
- Strengthening of linkages and coordination mechanisms between community and the Woreda health bureaus.
- Plan and implement project outlined in the protocol for OTP and SC to achieve objectives of the project.
- Ensure effectiveness of Health and Nutrition nurses facilitate admission of the patient at the OTP, and SC.
- Train and support the HEWs on prevention and response of major diseases under surveillance and in severe acute malnutrition case management and follow-up (e.g., referral to SC) according to national guidelines.
- Train and support community-based volunteer health workers for the implementation of the community component of the project.
- Ensure at all times adequately equipped and supplied with the necessary drugs for provision of treatment under curative services, nutritional and clinical requirements at the catchment health facilities – Plumpy’nut, Vitamin A, routine drugs, nutritional equipment’s, nutritional/medical stationeries, etc.
- Conduct planning and promotion of awareness creation on nutrition and preventative health care issues in the community
- Ensure hygiene and sanitation and MHPSS key messages in health and nutrition activities
- Work closely with project technical staff in ensuring coordination and integration across all activities
Technical Support and Capacity Building (30%)
- Jointly develop monthly, weekly work plan with other MHNT staffs
- On job technical support to HW, HEW on health/nutrition activity and documentation
- Develop and maintain close working relationship with partners responsible for MNCH-N, DRM, Nutrition TWG in their designated area
- Provides support for health and nutrition trainings, workshops, and meetings conducted at zonal/woreda/Kebele level
- Assess the capacity gap in assigned catchment Health facilities and fill the gaps
- Conduct training need assessment to identify relevant community members (woreda HO, CSW, HAD, HEW, HWs) knowledge gap and design appropriate training accordingly
- Strengthening of early referrals mechanism at health facilities and community level
- Implement and facilitate awareness-raising sessions at centres and community levels, based on a guidebook; particularly on child development, mothering practices, mother and child interactions and breastfeeding practices
Monitoring and Supervision (20%)
- Maintain up-to-date data related to nutrition and other activities and deliver to H &N coordinator
- Ensure close working relationship with each MHNT
- Facilitate/Conduct joint, supportive supervision with MHNT and CO level health and nutrition thematic specialist on the activities.
- Facilitates and encourages regular review meeting and review schedules at all woreda levels and help the different institutions have it institutionalized commitment;
- Together with other health and nutrition team sets project quality standards and action steps and monitor the performance accordingly;
- Prepare a monthly program and program support plan that helps to visit field activities and provide formal and informal feedback to the program staff in terms of recommendations for improved performance;
- Conducts regular mentoring to community health workers and health extension workers and develop their group and individual counselling skills.
- Collect key client data and prepare reports on progress made, together with observations, challenges faced, and lessons learned
Ensuring on time reporting, data quality and learning documentation (20%)
- Prepare and submit weekly, monthly, quarterly high-quality reports
- Establishes and maintains documentation system for all program activities including, minutes of technical meetings
- Document project learning, success stories, case studies, and learning briefs
- Ensure improved data collection and reporting systems during supportive supervision or monitoring field visits to each project operational areas
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
- Understand and put into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC).
- Ensure that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in day to day work.
- Ensure that Plan Ethiopia contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Education BSc in public health, nursing, nutrition
- 3 + years of relevant professional experience in a similar position
- In depth knowledge and experience of health and nutrition programming in the humanitarian context essential.
- Familiarity with MHN activity in Emergency Settings
- In depth knowledge of primary health care system
- In depth knowledge and experience of IMNCI, AMYCN, IYCF-E implementation
- Strong organizational and supervisory, Strong writing and reporting skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work within different cultural environments and Cross-cultural Awareness
- Ability to work within a team structure, flexible, and can cope with stressful workloads and working with limited resources
How To Apply:
- The closing date for the application is July 15, 2022. Qualified candidates should submit their application with the links provided below.
For internal applicants:
For external applicants:
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
- Make sure to mention your specific location on your Application letter for which location you are applying.
- Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- We are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated links.
- Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to Apply
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.