Gender Based Violence in Emergency (GBViE) Program Advisor (Addis Ababa)
External Vacancy Announcement
(Short Term Replacement)
Norwegian Church Aid (NCA) is a non-profit organization working in 24 countries worldwide to eradicate poverty. In Ethiopia, we have been operating since 1974, engaged in short term emergency response and long-term development programs.
Our intervention in Ethiopia focuses on Climate Resilient Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene; Gender-Based Violence; Peacebuilding; Faith-Based Climate Action; and Humanitarian Emergency Response. We are currently operating in eight regions: Tigray, Amhara, Oromia, Somali, Gambella, Southern Nations Nationalities and People’s State, Sidama, and at the Federal level. To achieve our development goals, we work with faith based and non-faith-based actors that have demonstrated strong grassroots reach and influence in the society.
We are a member of the ACT Alliance, a coalition of organizations working together in over 140 countries to create positive and sustainable change in people’s lives.
NCA/E would like to invite interested and qualified applicants for Gender Based Violence in Emergency (GBViE) Program Advisor position for six months.
Reporting to the head of Humanitarian Program, the GBViE advisor provides broad support to the development, implementation, monitoring and follow up of NCA’s humanitarian program with wide range of Norwegian government and UN agencies supported emergency GBV projects. The task requires an enthusiastic, highly motivated individual who can work autonomously and as part of a team of humanitarian program. The Advisor will be required to closely work with NCA and implementing partners’ program and finance team. The post holder will need to deliver effective, highly competent project support and consistently deliver in a person-centered environment, which promotes positive relationships, ensures timely and cost-effective implementation of program activities, support the program / project development, monitoring of implementation of plans, budget preparation, reporting, documentation, partner relations, and knowledge management.
- Develop a work plan/ activity and spending plan for the North Showa multi sectoral project for six-month period.
- Develop a monitoring plan and conduct monitoring visits Amhara (North Shewa and North Wello) and Tigray in collaboration with the Humanitarian, GBV/SRH, M&E and finance team of NCA and Implementing partners.
- Conduct at least one monitoring visit to Amhara, Tigray and Afar response in collaboration with implementing partners
- Prepare monthly and quarterly report to UN Women funded projects in North Wolo and MFA SPA in North Showa
- Produce and share success stories from the projects.
- Conduct safety audit in four implementation sites of North Wolo zone.
- In collaboration with implementing partners conduct market assessment at North Showa for the MFA project.
- Participate in the Development of new emergency GBV project proposal, concept notes, and facilitate budget modifications and monitor program expenditures to ensure activities are implemented within budgetary/donor guidelines.
- Continuously follow up the monthly financial reports for all grants to monitor the budget utilization and attend the monthly BVA meetings
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements and NCA financial and other policies and procedures and contribute to the preparation and implementation of grant requirements.
- Provide feedback and implement project changes and interventions to achieve project outputs, and activities are delivered on time and as per the planned budget.
- Represent NCA and the program externally in meetings, workshops, and seminars, and attend key internal meetings (in country and head quarter level) and initiatives as required.
- Establish positive relationship with partners and other stakeholders through effective communication.
- Provide and coordinate capacity building to partners, stakeholders, and beneficiaries. Develop training materials, contribute to capacity building plans for NCA / partners and its implementation with other team members.
- Provide GBV case management and Psychosocial support training to GBV service providers with the UN Women grant at North Wolo.
- Conduct PSEA training to GBV service providers with the UN Women grant at North Wolo.
- Provide GBV case management and GBVIMS training to DICAC Tigray and Amhara filed team with UNHCR grant in Gondar. Provide technical backstopping to the partner in cooperation with NCA HO GBVIE team.
- Conduct GBV basic concept training with MFA SPA grant for North Showa service providers
- Facilitate Business skill and entrepreneurship training for most vulnerable women and girls (consultant) in North Showa with MFA SPA grant.
- Attend on the GBV AoR meetings and share updates and represent NCA’s implementation
- Attend on PSEA network meeting and represent NCA/partners work
- Undertake any other duties as appropriate and within the post holders’ capabilities.
Area of Specialization: Gender Based Violence, Harmful Practices, and Sexual Reproductive health
Reporting to: Head of Humanitarian Program
Duty Station: Based in Addis Ababa with frequent travel to the field
Length of Contract: Six months as leave replacement of long leave
Salary: Ranges from 48 to56 K (ETB) based on income history & profile
- Required Qualification:
- Master’s degree in Gender, Psychology, Sociology, Health, or other social science fields on emergency response.
- 5+ Professional experiences in GBV in emergency response in refugee, IDPs and drought settings,
- Knowledge of international humanitarian standards for GBV prevention, protection, and response.
- Solid experience in training and capacity building experience related to different components of GBV programming in emergencies.
- Demonstrated experience working with government stakeholders, emergency cluster coordination mechanisms, local implementing partners, faith-based organizations, and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrate experience working donor funded projects, such as UN agencies, Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and other International Agencies.
- Proven experience on planning, budget preparation and financial and grant management.
- Demonstrated experience in working in teams, as well as, working independently with minimum supervision.
- Experience in managing/working in diverse emergency implemented by local partners and or in consortium with other organizations.
- The position is a temporary replacement of staff who is on leave. Therefore, the replacement needs to be willing and able to integrate with NCA staff, partners, and donors shortly.
- Very good knowledge of Ethiopian humanitarian response priorities particularly related to GBV especially relevant to the above listed short term duties and responsibilities.
- follow ACT Alliance Code of Conduct and NCA’s Protection form Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse (PSHEA), and Child Safeguarding (CS) policy, at all times.
- Excellent technical skill in mainstreaming GBV in NCA WASH and other thematic programs.
- Technical skill in GBV case management, coordination, partnership management, advocacy, and networking.
- Excellent in English writing and communication skill,
- Strong organization skills, coachable and excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent in Microsoft Excel and other relevant software for budget preparation.
- Strong personal integrity and commitments to accountability.
How To Apply:
- Interested applicants are required to send their application, CV and other supportive documents via [email protected]
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted via telephone/email.
- NCA is an equal opportunity organization.
- Qualified women applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
Note: Use”Gender Based Violence in Emergency (GBViE) Program Advisor (Addis Ababa)” as the subject line of your email!