Hygiene Promotion Assistant
Position: Hygiene Promotion Assistant
- Scope and background:
IRC have been present in Ethiopia since 2000 to respond to artificial and natural disasters. IRC is currently operational in five regional states and 24 refugee camps implementing a diverse range of multi-sectoral interventions. IRC currently responds to the needs of vulnerable HHs affected by conflict-induced displacement in Shebelle and Afder Zone and surrounding districts through a multi-sector interventions that address both short and long term needs. Under the program “Emergency life-saving and complimentary assistance to communities affected by draught in Elele and Qohle Woredas of Shebelle and Afder Zone”, IRC intends to implement a multipurpose cash transfer project in the two zone in collaboration with the government, INGOs, and government partners to mitigate the impact of conflict and draught on the most vulnerable households (women, children, old people, and the person with a disability). The project intends to meet both food and non-food needs of the target households and their family members.
The Hygiene Promotion Assistant (HPA) position mainly involves undertaking rapid Hygiene need assessments and implementing emergency WASH response. The HPA will be based in Jijiga town of Somali Region and can be deployed to all other woredas of Harshin, kebribeyah, Ellele, Adadle, Qohle and Barey and any other emerging emergency areas & localities whenever need. The position reports to hygiene promotion officer (HPO).
Major key Responsibilities:
- Integrating with other team members, the HP assistant undertakes detail Hygiene and Sanitation need assessments.
- Assist HPO in Preparation of detail physical & financial implementation plan for emerging emergency responses.
- Assist in preparing of IEC Materials to be used at community level.
- Ensure the accurate convey of hygiene and sanitation messages.
- Prioritize community level hygiene awareness campaigns and prevention of Cholera.
- Coordinate training for community representatives on Hygiene, sanitation, and Cholera control.
- Works closely with Woreda Water and Health Offices towards efficient and effective process of the response.
- Works in collaboration with IRC Cash transfer teams to ensure accurate integration of the interventions.
- Produces activity progress reports as per the preset reporting schedule and submit to the supervisor (HPO).
- Facilitate community participation during the emergency interventions.
- In coordination with woreda DRM and other relevant sector offices, HP Assistant ensures the implementation of project activities.
- Maintain strong working relationships with respective IRC staffs and partners like Community health workers, kebele leaders, schoolteachers by coordinating regular review meetings at kebele level at least once per month.
- Perform another task assigned by his/her supervisor.
- BSc Degree/Diploma in Environmental Health, public Health and Social science field
- 0-year experience for BSc Degree holders and 2 years’ experience for Diploma holders.
- NGO experience is plus.
- Hygiene promotion experience in local community settings.
- Basic computer skill (Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and e-mail).
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required.
- Good command spoken and written English.
- Knowledge of the local language is advantageous.
How To Apply:
- Candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply only through the below IRC On-line recruitment website:
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
- Name of the position you have applied for
- Date of application
- Summary of your qualifications and experience
- Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
- Permanent Address and present address (if different from permanent) and telephone number if possible, also email address
- Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.