Health Assistant (10 positions)
IOM-SVN/0075/2022 Position Title: Health Assistant (10 Positions) Position Grade: G-5 Duty Station: Mekelle, Shire, Konso, Moyale, Qoloji, Dire Dawa, Gonder, Dessie, Afar (2) Type of Appointment: SST, Six months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible Closing Date: 03 June 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting huma0ne and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office, direct supervision of the Emergency Health Coordinator and the technical supervision of Migration health Officer/Senior health assistant the incumbent will be responsible for the implementation of quality health services as part of the IOM Mobile Health and Nutrition teams, in connection with other IOM emergency and post crisis (EPC) activities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Conduct patient consultations for all patients for early diagnosis and treatment, this includes curative and preventive consultations for children and adults
- Support health extension workers with routine immunizations at the facility level, and participate in mass vaccination campaigns when needed
- Facilitate the referral of patients with moderate to severe medical conditions in need of secondary health care services
- Register patients seen using the approved Health Bureau registers, keep a record of all consultations in a safe and confidential manner
- Ensure proper data collection and submission of weekly Integrated Disease Surveillance Response (IDSR), expanded programme on immunization (EPI), Morbidity and Reproductive Health (RH) reports. Ensure data is disaggregated appropriately using sex and age disaggregation. All reports should be sent to the IOM Emergency Health Coordinator on a weekly basis in a timely manner
- Ensure proper infection control through universal precautions on sterilization of all equipment, use of antiseptic technique and clean environment through solid, wet and medical waste management.
- Ensure drug consumption reports are generated on weekly basis and that requisition of medicines is done in a timely and accurate manner. Ensure rational use of medicines
- Ensure proper medical waste management at the clinic site.
- Maintain good working relationships with the HEWs, IDP/ Returnee communities and be a team player with other health professionals as well as other IOM teams working in the sites; and,
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Educational Qualification
- University Degree in Public health or Nursing from an accredited institution with at least 5 years of professional experience is required. Applicant needs to be a holder of a valid Practicing Certificate from a recognized institution.
- Experience in recognized institutions in primary health care is an advantage.
- Experience in applying nationally and internationally accepted protocols and guidelines.
- Computer literate.
- Experience in Emergency health response or implementing health services for migrants, refugee and displaced persons and other vulnerable groups; including early recovery or post crisis emergency health programming
- Knowledge of DHMIS an added advantage
- Knowledge of English and Amharic is required.
- Knowledge of local language is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How To Apply:
- Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address ETHIOJOBS.NET, by 03 June 2022 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!