Employment Category: F2
Reporting To: Area Manager
Senior WASH Engineer (1), WASH Officers- HP (2), WASH assistants HP (4), WASH Assistant – Construction Forman (1), WASH assistant -plumbing and pump technician (1) and Water trucking monitors (6) and tap attendants (8)
Start of Contract & Duration: 10 Months till March 31, 2023
Posting date: May 6, 2022
Closing date:May 20, 2022
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
The Somali Region Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Manager is responsible for running and supervising the emergency water, sanitation and hygiene projects at all stages of the project management cycle. He/she is also responsible for accomplishing the project objectives and outcomes within the contextual constraints. The PM ensures the overall success of the program by making sure the WASH team completes the defined activities while adhering to internal standards and contractual obligations; and that the program is completed on time, within budget and with acceptable quality.
Develop a program plan, ensure its smooth implementation, and manage the team’s performance of project tasks and activities that may include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for day to day implementation of WASH projects activities: water trucking, rehabilitation of water supply schemes, expansion of water supply system and pipeline design and construction, WASH NFI distribution, provision and sanitation facilities, hygiene and sanitation promotion, community driven WASH initiative, establishment and capacity building of water management structures, promotion of environmental awareness;
- Ensure the preparation and required approval of detailed implementation work plans in line with the WASH Project design and Monitoring & Evaluation plan. Provide the necessary guidance and support to the team to achieve timely and quality implementation of activities;
- Network with Government and other agencies to foster synergies, information sharing and scale up of DRC WASH interventions and participate in the development of concept papers and proposals for mobilization of additional resources;
- Carry out regular field visits to inspect works, review progress and determine/receive feedback from the team and the beneficiaries regarding emerging challenges and gaps in original plans;
- Compile WASH progress reports from the various activity reports as per established monitoring plans, formats and schedules and submit to the AM/ and Roving WASH manager in a timely manner;
- Organize regular project review sessions through participatory methodologies involving beneficiaries and other stakeholders in the areas of intervention, with the aim of establishing and/or verifying emerging needs, gaps and priorities;
- Provide technical backstopping to the implementation of WASH projects and linkages with other programs and conduct research, actively tapping into improved WASH services delivery methodologies;
- Ensure efficient and effective implementation of the water trucking intervention;
- Develop and Update the project’s water trucking tools for monitoring the technical aspects on WASH;
- Represent DRC in cluster coordination platforms, share 4W reports to the Region and national cluster;
- Share Regional updates to the country office so as to understand and respond to the emerging needs;
- Ensure all water trucking operations are followed in accordance to agreed schedules,
Preparation of Project designs, Funding Concepts and Donor Reports
- Responsible to ensure the proper siting, design, development, construction of WASH structures;
- Conduct field assessments within the program areas as may be requested to gather baseline data for new project designs or for improvement of on-going projects;
- Contribute towards preparation of WASH budgets, funding concepts and proposals through analysis of field data and actual costs incurred on activity implementation;
- Assist the technical team with preparation of design drawings, specifications, bills of quantities and costing of activities;
- Contribute to the drafting of WASH donor reports through the preparation of an up to date project database as per donor log frames and monitoring plans;
Procurement and Budget Expenditure
- Prepare procurement plans against approved work plans and ensure timely initiation of procurement requests in line with established guidelines and procedures;
- Approve budgeted expenditure in line with internal and Donor financial guidelines, ensuring that requested expenses match approved procurement plans, and respecting approval ceilings;
- Monitor and track budget expenditure and burn rates, flagging over/under expenditures and recommending corrective measures in a timely manner;
- Prepare monthly budget forecasts with reference to the overall program annual budget forecast and submit to the PM/AM on time;
- Ensure proper contracting, field level oversight, works certification and payment preparation processes for contractors and other service providers engaged to execute WASH works;
- Prior to transporting WASH items from Addis Abeba, decide the last destination so as to reduce unnecessary costs incurred due to delays and warehouse issue;
- Monitor warehouse material stocks and dispatches to avoid idle stocking, and to ensure that deliveries are done and utilized in compliance with procedures;
Management of WASH Team
- Directly supervise the WASH team comprising of technical expertise;
- Conduct annual staff Performance Monitoring and Development Review for the employees directly supervised;
- Ensure efficient team deployment through a system of up-to-date job descriptions and organizational structure developed in line with DRC’s organizational structure;
- Identify staff training needs and recommend on-the-job or other capacity building measures in close consultation with the field office and HR department;
- Ensure team motivation and team work and promote open communication and feedback channels and fora. Promote adherence to DRC’s ethos through leading by example;
- Contribute to organizational accountability initiatives, including overseeing the roll out of commitments of DRC under the HAP (Humanitarian Accountability Partnership) within the systems function;
- Adhere fully to the commitments and rules of DRCs Code of Conduct;
- Ensure compliance and implementation of recommendations made by internal and external operational reviews, evaluations and financial audits;
- Oversee the WASH Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning initiatives of the project and drive changes and shared lessons learning;
- Provide supervision to the maintenance and Community Mobilization team and ensure effective performance management and Community Behavior Change;
- Responsible to write concept notes, human interest stories to generate donor support and demonstrate impact of WASH interventions
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- A seasoned manager with minimum 5 years of proven working experience from a senior level project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context. Our ideal candidate will have technical WASH expertise in engineering and/or public health, experience from working in WASH humanitarian programs in emergency as well as in complex and volatile contexts, and documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Proven and good understanding of community-based approaches, including clear involvement of children, women and people with disabilities in the hygiene promotion and others sector that are related to WASH project.
- Capacity and ability to build trust and relationships organize people and manage performance of teams.
- Proficiency in use of a wide range of statistical, Geographical Information Systems, engineering and computer software programs for project design, implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation and information system management
- Understanding of the donor compliance needs for a variety of humanitarian donors, government and corporations
- Be a team player and ready to collaborate with others in positive manner
- Proven experience of preparing and managing budgets
- Good attention to detail and methodical approach to work
Education (include certificates, licenses etc.):
- A University or higher education graduate in a subject relevant to the assignment (preferably in Water Supply and Sanitation Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering, Water Supply and Environmental Engineering, Environmental Health/ Public Health or other related fields)
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent skills in speaking, reading and writing English.
- Knowledge of Somali language is an advantage
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values
How To Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than May 20, 2022.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.