Wash Officer -Sanitation And Hygiene needed at Danish Refugee Council, April 30 2022
WASH OFFICER -SANITATION AND HYGIENE
Location: Somali Region (Fanfan and Jarar zone), Ethiopia
Deadline: May 12 2022
Apr 28, 2022 – May 12, 2022
Job Title: WASH Officer -Sanitation and Hygiene
Duty Station: Somali Region (Fanfan and Jarar zone), Ethiopia
Employment Category: H2
Reporting To: WASH Manager
Start of Contract & Duration: 10 Months
Posting date: April 28, 2022
Number of Positions: 2
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Under the direct supervision of the WASH Manager, WASH Officer Sanitation and Hygiene is responsible to plan, develop, monitor, and evaluating the assigned Sanitation and Hygiene promotion component of the WASH projects.
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Identify and select the Community outreach agents from IDPs who will be part of the Community Hygiene and Sanitation mobilization and coordinate their work.
- Design the contents and methodology of the Community Hygiene and Sanitation mobilization campaign as required by the project and according to the instructions of the WASH Team Leader and the guidelines of the humanitarian cluster working group;
- Prepares detailed implementation plan, monitor and follow up on the timely implementation of activities;
- Provides support and takes part to identify, facilitate and provide various training for hygiene promoters, sanitation monitors, and solid waste supervisors;
- Collects, compile and analyze baseline data; facilitate KAP/KPC surveys and present the result assessed about the hygiene and sanitation situation of the target population before and after the intervention;
- Monitors and follow-up to ensure the proper dissemination of hygiene and sanitation messages to the target beneficiaries;
- Devise different methodologies for successful achievement of DRC goal by providing technical and technology assistance;
- Provide technical advice for hygiene promoters, sanitation monitors, and solid waste supervisors and monitor the activities;
- Scheduling most of his/her time to spend on fieldwork attend hygiene and sanitation activities to facilitate improved hygiene practices;
- Monitors the hygiene and sanitation situation in the project area and provides regular updates;
- Maintains close working relationships with government and other relevant partners in the target area;
- Collect, analyze and compile reports from hygiene and sanitation activities and propose better implementation strategy in consultation with the WASH Manager
- Represent DRC externally with the community, local government, cluster coordination meetings, and other stakeholders
- Mobilize the subordinates and lead WASH NFI distribution
- Collect and disseminate the outputs and drawbacks gained from the hygiene and sanitation team in every month’s report of hygiene and sanitation promotion activities;
- Carry out other additional duties as assigned by the line manager.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master
DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Have technical background and knowledge in environmental health and 3 years of demonstrated work experience in designing and implementing hygiene and sanitation programs;
- Knowledge and experience in proper excreta disposal, solid waste management;
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills;
- Capable of training IDPs and motivating community support;
- Ability to understand the cultural context of the community, Experience in participatory techniques and community mobilization;
- Positive and professional attitude, able to organize, maintain and prioritize work under pressure and able to work in an insecure environment;
- Excellent communication skills, preferably with the host community and IDPs
- Accountability & responsiveness within areas of responsibility,
EDUCATION: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
- BSC degree in environmental health science, environmental engineering, public health, water supply, and sanitation or other related fields.
LANGUAGE: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent skills in speaking, reading, and writing English
- Knowledge of the Somali language is an advantage
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit an updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post via THIS LINK
Note: Women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap. We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics
For more vacancy alerts join us on Telegram