Health and Nutrition Program Manager
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Health and Nutrition Program Manager
Work Base: Gambella-Pinyudo 2
Availability: As Soon As Possible
Salary Scale: EMS09
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position.
About Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger-USA is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children and we enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 8,000 staff in over 50 countries, our programs reached 17 million people in 2019.
About the Country Program in Ethiopia
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Ethiopia since 1984 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sectoral strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH, and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience. Action Against Hunger currently operates in 5 different regions (Oromia, Somali, Amhara, Benishangul Gumuz, and Gambella) with a portfolio of 20m USD/year of emergency, resilience building, research, and innovation programs. We have a country team of around 600 staff in 17 regional and satellite offices. Our main donors in Ethiopia in 2020/2021 are BHA, ECHO, Europaid, UNHCR, UNICEF, GFFO, BPRM, SIDA, EHF, WFP, CIAA, and others.
Summary of position
The Health and Nutrition program manager is responsible for the overall management and implementation of Action Against Hunger Health and Nutrition activities in Gambella. The Nutrition Programme Manager will work in close collaboration with other AAH sectoral managers, and health and nutrition partners to ensure coordination, collaboration, integration, and quality of health and nutrition activities.
The Health and Nutrition Program Manager role’s purpose, engagement, and delivery are:
Purpose (The substantive focus of the job encompassing scope, depth, and difficulty of work both conceptual and applied)
Objective 1: Establish and supervise Health and Nutrition activities
- Management of the project cycle
- Meeting the objectives of Action Against Hunger in the health facilities supported
- The quality of the program for which he/she is responsible
Key activities & responsibilities to achieve this objective:
- Working with other sectors PMs to analyze needs in the area and propose activities & locations accordingly
- Provide inputs for the development of a concept note and/or project proposal with other sectors with a view to developing shared and integrated approaches
- Ensuring quality implementation of health nutritional packages, including CMAM/IMAM, IMNCI, ANC-PNC, IPLS
- Develop Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP), Project Procurement Plan, Supply Plan at start of a project
- Develop M&E tools (APR) for ongoing and new projects in collaboration with the MEAL Manager and Nutrition & Health TA.
- Participating in the preparation and execution of nutritional assessments (provide information to those conducting the study: local geographical, economic, social, and anthropological data)
- Conduct rapid needs assessments as required in collaboration with other AAH sectors
- Creating and developing a network for the detection and referral of clients, notably by the use of community mobilization techniques
- Preparing timely procurement requests according to BoQ and budgets, monitoring and controlling nutrition stocks & consumption in collaboration with Base Admin, Logistics, and Field Coordinator
- Manage and ensure proper utilization of funds through monitoring budget follow up and budget forecasting (financial projections) according to the donor proposals, nutrition master budget/BoQ in collaboration with Base Admin, Logistics, and Field Coordinator
- Ensure that the M&E for the nutrition program is rolled out (according to the MEAL plan), followed and share updates with other Nutrition PMs, Field Coordinator, and Nutrition & Health Head of Department
- In line with the policy of Action Against Hunger as a learning organization, contributing to capitalization of good practice, experience, and assessments
Objective 2: Human Resource Management and staff development
- Evaluation of the skill level and technical competence of the Action Against Hunger teams
- Identification of training needs
- Skills development for Action Against Hunger colleagues in his/her program
- Ensuring the quality of training programs established for the Action Against Hunger teams
- Management of his/her teams (leadership, monitoring, motivation….)
- Determine the HR needs for the implementation of the health and nutrition activities
- Taking part in the recruitment of staff in line with HR procedures and in consultation with the Field Coordinator and Base Admin/HR
- Conduct staff appraisals and support DPM/supervisor in the implementation of staff appraisals & development of work/action plans
- Develop and follow up on individual work/ action plans
- Identifying the training needs of Action Against Hunger teams on the basis of skills assessments and observation in collaboration
- Organizing and carrying out training sessions, On the Job Training, Mentoring, and Supervision
- Organize and lead (in collaboration with DPM) monthly team meetings to identify challenges and track progress in the program implementation at the different centers and develop an action plan and follow up accordingly
- Organizing and leading meetings with the team and individual staff members, on both a regular and ad hoc basis
- Follow up on staff leave planning, absence, late coming in collaboration with HR
Objective 3: Develop and direct operations
- Contribute to the Action Against Hunger Health & Nutrition Strategy development
- Timely and quality implementation of planned activities within his/her program and alerting the Field Coordinator and Technical Advisor to any delays or excessive or under-use of resources
- Timely and quality reporting, both internal and external, of the activities of his/her program, together with a critical analysis
- Identifying and proposing the development of new programs
- Contribute to the development of the Action Against Hunger Health & Nutrition Ethiopia strategy, and roll-out strategy as required
- Analysis and follow-up of the health and nutrition situation in the zone- outbreaks, health and nutrition status, and other issues affecting the health and nutrition status of the population.
- Contributing to the preparation of new project proposals (text, budget, BoQ, and HR needs) in collaboration with other sectors’ PMs, Field Coordinator, and Nutrition & Health Technical Advisor
- Ensure accurate and quality monthly reporting (APR narrative and APR quantitative report) and weekly reporting in collaboration with Field Coordinator and Nutrition and Health Technical Advisor.
- Ensure that staff are adhering to the reporting and recording system (beneficiary cards, register books, daily, weekly, monthly reports)- accuracy and timely submission
- Contribute to donor reporting (frequency according to the donor requirements) by compiling and writing of nutrition narrative on progress while ensuring accurate data
- Presenting the nutrition program to partners (the authorities, donors, etc…
Engagement: (The focus of interaction both internally and externally needed to deliver a service seek collaboration and build effective partnerships)
Objective 4: Internal and External Coordination
- Representing Action Against Hunger in external coordination mechanisms- Woreda & Zonal Coordination- Nutrition Sector- Health sector and any other relevant coordination mechanism (external)
- Represent Action Against Hunger Health and Nutrition Strategy in Technical Working Groups under the Health and Nutrition Sector (external)
- Coordination with international and local partners (external)
- Implementation of monthly Health and Nutrition team meeting (Internal)
- Coordination with other Action Against Hunger sectors to ensure smooth implementation of activities including integrated activities (internal)
Key activities & responsibilities to achieve this objectives
- Participate in the different external coordination mechanisms at woreda and zonal level-
- Develop a network of contacts at the base level (INGOs, NGOs, government, technical or scientific) to allow a smooth implementation of the project
- Provide updates on Action Against Hunger health and nutrition activities in the different external coordination meetings
- Provide technical inputs according to Action Against Hunger guidelines, positioning papers, and strategy in the external coordination mechanisms as well as technical working groups
- Liaison with international and local partners regarding health and nutrition activities
- Lead and provide support to health and nutrition team on external partners’ (including donor visits) field visits – represent Action Against Hunger, development of briefing papers, etc.
- Share minutes of meetings attended including a summary of action points
- Ensure timely submission of ENCU and Health Cluster report at the national level.
- To deliver leadership and guidance to field-based health and nutrition program staff.
- To deliver quality and timely program implementation for health and nutrition in the refugee community
- To deliver quality and time progress reports weekly, bi-weekly and monthly updates and donor reports.
- To deliver quality and timely implementation and financial plan for the successful provision of Health and Nutrition Services.
- Deputy Health and Nutrition Program Manager
Gender Equality Commitments
- Foster an environment that supports the values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
- Health and Nutrition Program budget for the base office
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel, and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
- Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high-security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
- Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Degree or equivalent in health science-related field of study, including Public Health, Nursing with a minimum of 7 years professional experience in monitoring and coordinating emergency health and nutrition interventions in humanitarian agencies
Required Skills & Competencies
- Good human relations and diplomacy – Analytical capacity – Capacity to organize the work and supervise the team –Training skills (ToT)- Knowledge of logistics (storage, transport, quality control) – knowledge on budget management- knowledge on nutrition assessments (SMART, SQUEAC).
- Language Skills: English- professional written and spoken, local language for the base
How To Apply:
- APPLICATION PROCEDURE
If you are interested, please send your application composed of none returnable CV, a Covering Letter with “Health and Nutrition Program Manager” written in the subject line, and three references, applicants to the following address:
NB: Only shortlisted applicants will be, communicated on and the selection process includes technical tests and an interview.
Action Against Hunger-USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.