Assistant Researcher (Health Economics)
The Armauer Hansen Research Institute (AHRI, https://ahri.gov.et) established in 1970 through the initiative of the Norwegian and Swedish Save the Children organizations as a leprosy research institute made breakthrough contribution in understanding the immunology and eventual improved treatment (MDT) that changed the global landscape of leprosy epidemiology. Re-organized by the decree of the Council of Minister’s Regulation No. 376/2016 as biomedical research, clinical trial and biomedical research capacity building arm of the Federal Ministry of Health. The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is a world-leading centre for research and postgraduate education in public and global health. Addis Ababa University, the institute of public health is renowned for its research and capacity building. These three institutions are working in partnership on the Skin Health Africa Research Programme (SHARP, https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/research/centresprojects-groups/sharp#research). SHARP is a multidisciplinary research program funded by the United Kingdom National Institute for Health Research with the aim to identify strategies for improving experiences of “severe stigmatising skin diseases”. In conjunction, SHARP will conduct a cohort study which aims to improve the understanding of the health and economic burden of CL and to lay the groundwork for future, robust randomized controlled trials, and economic evaluations of alternative CL treatment strategies in Ethiopia.
Thus, AHRI is seeking to appoint two assistants Research for the CL cohort economic evaluation and population-based research in skin Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTD) in Ethiopia. The research assistants will be part of the economic team at AHRI with frequent travel to the field. The position holders are expected to carry out administrative and scientific work in line with study protocols with the following duties and responsibilities.
Tasks, duties and responsibilities
· Develop standard operating procedures (SOPs), data collection costing and economic evaluation instruments, and training materials
· Collect economic and costing data from patients and health facilities.
· Conduct quality control and consistency checking procedures periodically when the data collection is on progress
· Communicate with the data manager and project coordinator for data quality control regularly.
· Contribute to analysis of costing, economic evaluation quantitative and qualitative data
· Assist in dissemination of findings to policy makers, other stakeholders, and academic audiences
· Contribute to preparation of journal articles and conference reports
· Conduct supportive supervision to support field data collectors.
· Coordinate interventions and implementation of the project alongside the project coordinator
· Assist the health economist in implementation and with follow-up of economic/costing research-related activities.
· Ensure effective communication between the multi-displinary SHARP research team
· Assist the SHARP team in conducting research related activities
· Coordinate other related duties as assigned by the project
- · MPH/MSC in Public Health/Health Economics/Economics; OR
· BSc in Public Health/Health Economics/Economics And two years’ work experience
· An experience in economic evaluation or costing studies is advantageous.
· Have adequate research experience and published economic evaluation/costing in reputable journals is an asset
· Demonstrated research communication and interpersonal communication skills
· Demonstrable organization and communication skill
· Knowledge of different data management software and Microsoft excel applications
· Practical Stata software experience has additional advantage
· Knowledge of different economic evaluation decision modelling
· Fluency in English communication (spoken & written)
· Fluency in Amharic and Afan Oromo is advantageous
How To Apply:
- Interested applicants who fulfilled the above requirements should send the following through ethiojobs.net on or before April 27, 2022.
– CV/resume (not more than 5 pages)
– A cover letter (not more than one page)
– A one page table summarizing your educational background, technical skills and competencies to facilitate the screening process
– Letter of motivation on how your qualifications, experience and training make you an ideal candidate as well as why you are interested to join and what added value you may bring to the project.
Remarks: Please attach copies of transcripts, academic degree together with the application
Number required: 2 (Two)
Employment: Full time contract basis for one year with possible extension based on performance.