National Migration Health Physician
Vacancy No. IOM-SVN/0056/22 Position Title National Migration Health Physician (2 Positions) Duty Station Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Classification NOA Type of Appointment SVN, Six months with the possibility of extension Estimated Start Date As soon as possible Posting Period 18.04.2022 to 01.05.2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.Under the overall supervision of the COM, Ethiopia and direct supervision of the Migration Health Officer; and, in collaboration with relevant units at Headquarters and the Administrative Centres, the successful candidate will assist in IOM migration health assessment activities. In particular, he/she will participate in migration health assessments, in accordance with the medical/health requirements of the resettlement countries. The incumbent shall perform the following essential duties and responsibilities:
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Performs migration health assessments and completes related medical documentation of migrants referred for migration health assessment in accordance with the resettlement countries’ technical instructions and the IOM Migration Health Assessment Guidelines.
- Provides technical supervision and monitoring of IOM health personnel to ensure that the following activities are performed in accordance with the technical requirements of the resettlement countries such as: medical case registration, migration health assessments, medical forms transmission, medical treatment and follow-up programs, data processing and management, pre-embarkation medical examination and report.
- Refers patients to specialists for treatment as may be required.
- Administers treatment and immunizations as per the receiving countries’ requirements.
- Performs pre-departure and pre-embarkation medical checks on all refugee migrants departing under IOM auspices, making sure they are fit to travel.
- Ensures timely, accurate and complete reporting of all activities on the pre-departure (examinations, treatment, immunization), as per IOM standards and as per the country of resettlement requirements.
- Implements quality control standards and ensures confidentiality of individual health information.
- Contributes to the analysis and technical elaboration of data gathered from the migration health assessment.
- Coordinates with the local/national health authorities, physicians, hospitals and laboratories, as needed.
- Informs and consults with the Migration Health Officer and the Head of Sub-office – Jijiga on migration health issues and proposes corrective and adjustment measures.
- Assists in the preparation, design, analysis and implementation of research and public health activities related to migration health, tuberculosis, and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Undertakes medical escorting activities and duty travel including to the refugee camps as needed, and be prepared to be reassigned to the head office and/or the sub-offices in Ethiopia
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree in Medicine, Medicine – MBChB or related fields with relevant work experience from an accredited academic institution
- A minimum of 3 years for master’s and 8 years of relevant professional working experience for BA holders.
- Special training/experience in Paediatrics, Internal Medicine or Infectious Diseases is an advantage. Health sector experience in Africa desirable.
- Registered with Ethiopian Medical Board with valid professional license.
- Minimum of three years relevant clinical experience.
- Previous professional experience in migration health, emergency or primary health care for large populations and demonstrated capacity in designing and managing health care programmes in complex emergency settings preferred.
- Previous experience under IOM or UN resettlement, repatriation and other similar programmes within refugee setting will be an asset.
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
- Good computer knowledge in MS office packages
- Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English and Amharic is required.
- Working knowledge Arabic, Somali and Other languages are desirable.
VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion & respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity & transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and a work permit, as applicable.
How To Apply:
- Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with an only a detailed CV written in English through ethiojobs.net, on or before May 1, 2022. Please indicate the position title, vacancy number, and the duty station in the subject line of your application letter. (Application for National Migration Health Physician, IOM-SVN/0056/22, Addis Ababa). No photocopies of educational/training certificates are required at this stage; an applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!