World Health Organization is looking for External Relations & Partnerships professional, April 7 2022
Organization: World Health Organization
Position: External Relations & Partnerships
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Application Deadline: April, 20/2022
Mission and objectives
Since the establishment of its country office in Ethiopia, the World Health Organization has provided a wide range of technical support to the Government of Ethiopia. This has been mainly in strengthening health services, addressing public health issues and supporting and promoting research for health. The major areas of WHO collaboration with the Government of Ethiopia are based on the following triple billion goals to ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages:
1) One billion more people to benefit from universal health coverage
2) One billion more people better protected from health emergencies
3) One billion more people enjoying better health and well-being.
The strategic directions to address these priorities are broadly in line with WHO’s 13th General Programme of Work 2019–2023 endorsed in May 2018 by the Seventy-first World Health Assembly. As the lead health agency, WHO works with different partners to support the Government of Ethiopia to achieve universal health coverage and the Sustainable Development Goals.
The International UNV will support the implementation of the resource mobilization strategy and assist in the development of program proposals (mainly to respond to the ongoing emergencies in the Country), donor briefings, reports and updates.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the External Relations & Resource Mobilization Officer, the UN Volunteer will:
- Review and refine programs reporting tools in line with donor requirements;
- Coordinate all aspects of programs reporting ensuring data is of high quality and produced on time;
- Collect articles, cases studies, and best practices across projects for evidence gathering and format so they are suitable for external audiences;
- Conduct support visits on a regular basis and report findings for programs;
- Provide support on public and donor-related documents as required;
- Work closely with programs on proposal writing and submission;
- Maintain a tracking system to monitor the current location and status of all resources (personnel, equipment, supplies, etc.) assigned to the emergency response;
- Drafts proposals, donor briefings, reports and updates to ensure accurate and timely reporting;
- Support the overall activities related to mobilization of resources, grants management, funding needs, gaps, and the awards process.
- Maintain project calendars and milestones; analyze information on project activities and monitor progress towards targets using various project management databases; Liaise with relevant team leads to validate the location and status of all resources
- Prepare tables, charts and other graphics required for senior management team meetings; donors’ reports, and other meetings or products as required;
- Support the implementation and improvement of monitoring and evaluation tools and frameworks;
- Liaise with Country Offices and Headquarters to secure the required clearance, including legal and financial clearances for proposals and donor agreements before signature.
- In coordination with the Communication Officer, effectively utilizes the communication products to inform donors about both Health Sector and WHO’s strategies and work to encourage them to fund the overall health sector response to affected populations and to WHO’s strategic plans and proposals;
- Support the production of outreach/publicity material to increase donor visibility and promote engagement.
- Support the update of websites and resource mobilization platforms.
Age: 27 – 80
Nationality: The candidate must be a national of a country other than the country of assignment.
- 3 years of experience in grant management, donor funding, proposal development, and resource mobilization; program design/management/implementation and reporting at the national and/or international level.
- For this assignment, only females of African nationality aged 22 to 35 will be
Area(s) of expertise
- Development programmes
- English, Level: Fluent, Required
- French, Level: Working knowledge, Desirable
Required education level
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Public Health, Economics, Business Administration, Management, Communications, International Relations, Development Studies, Political Science or related fields;
- A Master’s Degree in any of the fields listed above is desirable
Competencies and values
- Teamwork and respect for diversity
- Planning and organizing
Living conditions and remarks
Addis Ababa is the capital of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia. The population is estimated at about 4 million or so. Addis Ababa is located in the Ethiopian highlands at an altitude of 2,500-2,700 meters. The climate is sunny and temperate, but it can be very cold at night, with freezing temperatures at times. It is therefore advisable to bring warm clothing and foresee using heaters and/or log fires when necessary. Addis Ababa is the headquarters for the UN Economic Commission for Africa as well as the African Union. Thus, there is a very large community of expatriates from all over the world. There are some 80 embassies/diplomatic missions. Housing is most of the time readily available and the rents are, on average, reasonable. Most foodstuffs, beverages, household goods, furniture and clothing, mostly imported from the Middle/Far East, South Africa and Europe, or local brands, can be found, although they can be expensive. Meat, fish, fresh fruits and vegetables are cheap and abundantly available.
The basic infrastructures – roads, utilities, and telecommunications – are below standard, as are medical facilities, which are still largely inadequate, although a few private clinics and hospitals provide reasonably good routine care. Several restaurants around the city serve local or international cuisine and there are numerous social and sports facilities (fitness, tennis, swimming, riding, golf, etc.) that exist in the major hotels or in different establishments around the city. There are no major or special security concerns within Addis Ababa city limits
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme that welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, care protected characteristics. As part of their adherence to the values of UNV, all UN Volunteers commit themselves to combat any form of discrimination, and to promoting respect for human rights and individual dignity, without distinction of a person’s race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or another status.
Note on Covid-19 vaccination requirements
Selected candidates for certain occupational groups may be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) in line with the applicable host entity policy
How to Apply
Click the button below to apply
For more vacancy alerts join us on Telegram