Assistant to The Executive Director
Position: Assistant to The Executive Director
- Internal/External Vacancy
The Ethiopian Medical Association (EMA) is one of the pioneering professional Associations in Ethiopia. The Association was formally established on July 2, 1962 G.C with 100 founding members. EMA is a member of the World Medical Association since 1994 G.C and currently has more than 3500 registered members.
EMA’s head office is based in Addis Ababa and has a presence in five regions represented by its nine regional branch offices (Gonder, Mekelle, Bahir Dar, Dessie, Jimma, Adama, Harere, Hawassa and Arba Minch). EMA has been operational for over 59 years on promoting quality of medical service in Ethiopia and evidence-based medicine through publishing the Ethiopian Medical Journal (EMJ). The mission of the association is to: Ensure that the community gets quality health service and care; promote the highest standards in medical education, science, art and practice and ensure the rights and benefits of medical professionals (doctors) and act as their voice
Thus, the association would like to invite experienced and competent candidates for the Assistant to the Executive Director vacant post:
Under the supervision of the Executive Director and following the EMA’s policies and procedures, the Assistant to the ED is responsible for the execution of all administrative and office communication matters of the Office of the Executive Director. Provides executive support, serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies on matters pertaining to the office of the Director. The Executive Assistant also serves as a liaison to management teams and departments. He/she is responsible for efficient and satisfactory provision of all admin support services of the ED. The Executive Assistant must be creative and enjoy working within the association environment that is mission-driven and results-oriented. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The Executive Assistant will have the ability to work independently on EMA’s planed core activities, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Arrange & facilitate venues and logistics required for staff meetings, Executive Board meetings, bi-annual meetings, other regional meetings, trainings & workshops organized by the Association.
- Leads and coordinates the internal and external communications of the association pertinent to the office of the director.
- Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the director including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; composing and preparing correspondence
- Plans, coordinates and ensures the Director schedule is followed and respected.
- Communicates on behalf of the Director, with Board members, donors, secretarial staff and others, on matters related to the office of the director
- Prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the Director, Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the Director Office and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with management staff.
- Works closely and effectively with the Director to keep him/her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately.
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the ED ability to effectively lead the company.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matter expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Adhere to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding board and board committee matters, including advance distribution of materials before meetings in electronic/paper format.
- Participates as an adjunct member of the Management Team including assisting in scheduling meetings and attending all meetings as desired
- Assists in coordinating the agenda of management team meetings and all staff meetings
- Edits and completes first drafts for written communications to external stake holders for Strategic Initiatives
- Follows up on contacts made by the director and supports the cultivation of ongoing relationships
- Drafts and prepares letters and memos and gives replies to general queries as instructed.
- Maintains and be responsible for keeping corporate documents such as management minutes, Executive Board minutes, and Agreements done between EMA and key stakeholders and follows their application together with respective departments.
- Perform other duties assigned to him /her by the immediate supervisor.
Work Unit: Executive Director Department
Reports To: Executive Director
Staff Reporting to the Job Holder: One
Position Grade: V
- Education and Qualification
- MA/BA/MD/BSc in Management and/ or health related field of studies.
- Minimum 4/6 years of relevant experience on similar /related position. Experience in NGO environment and/or working in donor-based projects are advantageous.
Desired Criteria (An Asset)
- Experience in International, local NGO & professional association’s environment is advantageous
Competencies/ Personal Attributes
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and security of EMA’s critical information and hence, foster trust and respect.
- Ability to work independently
- Being self-motivated and highly organized, detail oriented.
- Being flexible and able to work well under pressure and prioritizing ability.
- Exhibit a desire to support people.
- Having strong team player skills and interest.
- Having good facilitation skills.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Strong MS office and the ability to use new technology
- Knowledge of records management( both manual and computerized systems)
- Event management
- Scheduling and calendar management
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Amharic.
How To Apply:
- Therefore, interested candidates who fulfill the above minimum requirement are invited to send your application quoting the vacancy position within 10 consecutive days from this vacancy announced with the following details:
- 1 page covering letter
- 3 pages updated CVs,
- 1 page summary of CV through email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
N: B: – In person application is not acceptable
For further information Tel:+251 11 552 1776/ 11554 7982