Health and Nutrition Program Manager-Afar
External Vacancy Announcement
Medical Teams International is a Christian humanitarian relief agency focused on providing life-saving medical care for people in crisis. We serve all people regardless of religion, nationality, sex, or race.
Our calling is Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
To ensure quality health care services for internally displaced people and host community in Afar Region, Ethiopia. This position will be responsible for ensuring proper day-to-day running of the mobile medical team.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Assist in Ensuring MTI’s standard of quality in primary health services is met
- Participates in the planning, implementation, and supervision of the Health and Nutrition.
- Develops plans for process and quality improvement and reports findings to the Medical Coordinator
- Ensures quality control at all levels of service provision (referrals from the community, primary health care level, pharmacy, referrals for secondary care)
- Ensures strict monitoring of the use and flow of medications at the Health and Nutrition centers
- Ensures compliance to program standards at all levels
- Ensures monitoring and accountability of beneficiary registrars
- Maintains quality assurance and adherence to healthcare protocols ensuring compliance with RHB standards
- Ensures data collection meets program requirements, and that all activities are suitably documented
- Assists in the compliance with government health reporting mechanisms; both in terms of reporting to WHO, RHB, and internal reporting
- Assess and implement appropriate training in coordination with the medical coordinator to equip and strengthen knowledge and skills of MHNT personnel
- Leads development of trainings, feedback sessions and tools for M&E and quality improvement
- Ensures that programming is of excellent technical quality, suitable to attract donor funding and contributes significantly to MTI’s strategic objectives
- Provides technical support to project medical personnel to ensure programming objectives are successfully achieved, adhering to international, donor and Ministry of Health Guidelines and policies
- Ensures appropriate treatment protocols are followed as set forth per National guidelines and/or MTI policies
- Collaborates and coordinates with the Community Health Coordinator to ensure program goals are achieved and program approach/interventions are being continuously evaluated and adapted
- Ensures strong linkages between CHW program and Health and Nutrition program
- Ensure the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
- Aiming to achieve the highest quality programming possible within the challenging context of North Gonder, Ethiopia
- Ensure all patients are treated based on the Guidelines of the Ministry of Health and the IMCI guidelines
- Ensure rational use of drugs such that only those essential for treatment are prescribed. Do not overprescribe.
- Provide compassionate and respectful care to all patients who present to the clinic
- Support other staff and colleagues to maintain good infection control practices to prevent spread of illnesses within the clinic and among the staff
- Support other areas of the office as requested or needed to ensure efficiency and quality of work for all
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment, disposing of waste appropriately
Required Number:One (1)
- Education, Licenses, & Certification
- Medical Doctor, BSc Nursing, or Bsc in Health Officer
- At least 3 years of experience working in direct health service delivery and two years of experience managing the operation of health services.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of development & humanitarian issues and concepts
- Fluent spoken and written Amharic and English.
- Strong interpersonal and team skills
- Proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations
- Excellent communicator
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment
- Negotiation and representation skills
- Analytical and problem-solving Computer literate, able to work efficiently in Microsoft office on standard or mobile platforms.
- Humanitarian motivation
- Emotionally and spiritually mature
- Team player – practical, desire to support the field teams.
- Willingness to pitch in and get the job done
- Understanding and sensitivity to cross cultural issues
- Flexible and adaptable to ever changing environments
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Able to build new relationships and gain people’s trust quickly
- Integrity in representing Medical Teams Willing to travel to insecure environments
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to embrace and promote mti’s mission and vision
- Ability to uphold and exemplify the organization’s core values
- Ability to represent the organization in a professional manner to donors, volunteers, and the public
This position requires frequent travel to health facilities located in remote areas with very basic living conditions.
How To Apply:
- Interested applicants who met the MINIMUM requirements should apply to Medical Teams International Ethiopia email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Use “Health and Nutrition Program Manager-Afar” as the subject line of your email !
All applications must be submitted on or before 1 April 2022.
All applications must include a CV and copies of all applicable educational and work experience documents to be considered valid. Applicants called for an interview will be required to produce the original and legally valid copies of all documents.
“We are an equal employment opportunity organization dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Courageous, Tenacious, Selfless and Not alone.”
Qualified women are highly encouraged to apply.