Mental Health and Psycho-Social Support Officer-Afar
External Vacancy Announcement
Medical Teams International is a Christian humanitarian relief agency focused on providing life-saving medical care for people in crisis. We serve all people regardless of religion, nationality, sex, or race.
Our calling is Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
To provide quality health care services for vulnerable refugee and host populations in Afar, Ethiopia. The MHPSS Officer will be responsible for collaborating with other medical staff on the integration of mental health and psychiatric treatment with basic healthcare services in order to ensure the treatment of patients suffering from severe and common mental health and psychiatric disorders and coordinating counselling services.
Medical / Technical
- Assess, diagnose, treat, and manage patients with mental illnesses psychiatric disorder; refer complicated cases to Doctor
- Provide counselling for survivors of traumatic events, including sexual assault
- Administer use of and monitor reactions to psychotropic and other medications
- Support client in understanding the nature of emotional disturbances and mental illness and accepting the need for treatment with specific attention to the cultural context
- Maintain accurate records and documentation of patient treatments according to standard medical recordkeeping and MTI policy
- Identify and screen potential clients and refer for appropriate follow up care
- Participate in community mobilization and sensitization on mental health issues
- Support medicine management for psychiatric drugs for regional health facilities in close collaboration with the MHNT Team Lead, Medical Coordinator, and Doctor
- Provide training for medical staff on diagnosis and treatment of severe and common mental health disorders
- Ensure data collected is accurate and submit reports according to schedule
- Ensure that medical practices are confidential and conducted with the highest level of integrity and ethics according to professional and MTI Code of Conduct
- Other duties as assigned
- Aiming to achieve the highest quality programming possible within the challenging context of Afar region, Ethiopia
- Ensure all patients are treated based on the Guidelines of the Ministry of Health and the IMCI guidelines
- Ensure rational use of drugs such that only those essential for treatment are prescribed. Do not overprescribe.
- Provide compassionate and respectful care to all patients who present to the clinic
- Support other staff and colleagues to maintain good infection control practices to prevent spread of illnesses within the clinic and among the staff
- Support other areas of the clinic as requested or needed to ensure efficiency and quality of care to all
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment, disposing of waste and sharps appropriately
- Education, Licenses, & Certification
- Education, Licenses, & Certification
- Degree in Mental Health, Psychosocial Administration, or Psychiatry, or Psychology
- 2 years of professional experience after qualification
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of development & humanitarian issues and concepts
- Fluent spoken and written Amharic and English.
- Strong interpersonal and team skills
- Proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations
- Excellent communicator
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment
- Negotiation and representation skills
- Analytical and problem-solving Computer literate, able to work efficiently in Microsoft office on standard or mobile platforms.
- Humanitarian motivation
- Emotionally and spiritually mature
- Team player – practical, desire to support the field teams.
- Willingness to pitch in and get the job done
- Understanding and sensitivity to cross cultural issues
- Flexible and adaptable to ever changing environments
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Able to build new relationships and gain people’s trust quickly
- Integrity in representing Medical Teams Willing to travel to insecure environments
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to embrace and promote MTI’s mission and vision
- Ability to uphold and exemplify the organization’s core values
- Ability to represent the organization in a professional manner to donors, volunteers, and the public
- This position requires frequent travel to health facilities located in remote areas with very basic living conditions.
How To Apply:
- Interested applicants who met the MINIMUM requirements should apply to Medical Teams International Ethiopia email address email@example.com
Note: Use “Mental Health and Psycho-Social Support Officer-Afar” as the subject line of your email !
All applications must be submitted on or before 1 April 2022.
All applications must include a CV and copies of all applicable educational and work experience documents to be considered valid. Applicants called for an interview will be required to produce the original and legally valid copies of all documents.
“We are an equal employment opportunity organization dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Courageous, Tenacious, Selfless and Not alone.”
Qualified women are highly encouraged to apply.