Organization: United Nations Development Program (UNDP)
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Mekelle, Ethiopia
Application Deadline: Apr, 8/2022
The UN Health Care Center has the responsibility to provide both core and non-core services to all UN staff and their eligible dependents based in Ethiopia. This responsibility includes the provision of support to staff and dependents during the occurrence of different disasters and pandemics, processing MEDEVAC among other staff well-being activities.
In the past, the UN Clinic conducted mobile clinic visits to regions with poor medical facilities every two months to ensure UN personnel are well taken care of. However, for the past two years, this activity was halted given the current local situation in the Northern region of the country which has resulted in a very weak local health infrastructure.
This has necessitated the institution of satellite clinics in the regions of Mekelle and Shire to ensure staff well-being.
The present ToR is intended to specify the type of nursing services required and guide the incumbents of the position on the dispensation of their duties at the respective duty stations, ensure clients’ safety, satisfaction, and respect the organization’s rules and regulations from the health standpoint of view. In addition, supervision of the incumbents will be done at two levels, which are: administration by a UN organization based in the duty station and technically by the UN health Care Center.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responds to emergency calls and assists Medical Officer in providing adequate care; ensures effective liaison between patient and doctor or family members, and colleagues as appropriate, Documents case findings.
- Take or move patients to the emergency room and administer healthcare and first aid treatment before the doctor arrives
- Create order and administer basic medical tests to be conducted for diagnosis in emergency situations.
- Take accurate record of patient’s health history, vital signs, and relevant laboratory results
- Carry out tests as instructed by a medical doctor
- Employ expertise in conducting physical examinations on patients and interpreting their health conditions from their medical history
- Administer primary care to both children and adults respectively
- Perform minor procedures when the need arises
- Identify medical problem(s) inpatient(s)
- Take blood samples of patients
- Maintain proper supplies of medical equipment and medications.
- Administer vaccinations and maintain the cold chain for vaccines shipped to duty stations
- Assists the Medical Officer in stabilizing serious patients and accompanying them to Addis Ababa on medical evacuations.
- Performs diagnostic and screening tests such as ECG, laboratory rapid tests using test kits.
- In the absence of the Medical Officer, provides routine care to the clients.
- Performs clinical assessment of patients visiting the walk-in clinic; provides care/advice accordingly before the patient sees the UN Medical Officer or travels to medical facilities outside the duty station, as indicated.
- Ensures preparedness of staff travelling on missions or reassignments, including administration of the appropriate vaccine, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel-related ailments. Instructs on the content and potential uses of the travel kit where available.
- Assists in providing first AID and CPR training for UN and INGO staff located in the duty station
- Dispenses medications and keep proper records and place orders for replenishment of stock.
- Regularly check stock for expiration
- Reports any problems with the medical equipment and ensures regular maintenance.
- Accompany patients on Medical evacuations when necessary.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge of clinical, occupational and tropical medicine. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for decisions made during the dispensation of his or her duties.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to the client.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with a final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
Required Skills and Experience
- A minimum of BSC degree in nursing with additional training in Emergency medicine/Anesthesia or Related Field
- National registration and License are required
- A minimum of 1-year work experience as a clinical nurse and a minimum of two years experience as an emergency, anesthesia or operation Theater Nurse.
- The work at the clinic requires the use of an electronic medical record system. Computer skills: full command of Microsoft applications (word, excel, PowerPoint) and common internet applications will be required.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language, (both written and spoken) is required;
- Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
The selected candidate will be assigned either in Mekelle or Shire as per the workload demand. Applicants are considered in agreement to this arrangement when submitting.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job descriptions, experiences and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fees in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
How to Apply
Click on the button below
For more vacancy alerts join us on Telegram