United Nations Development Program (UNDP) is looking for Clinical Nurse – UNHCC, March 35 2022
Agency: United Nations Economic Commission for Africa
Title: Clinical Nurse – UNHCC
Job ID: 41527
Duty Station: Mekele, Ethiopia
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Contract Duration: One Year
The UN Health Care Center has the responsibility to provide both core and non-core services to all UN staff and their eligible dependents based in Ethiopia. This responsibility includes provision of support to staff and dependents during the occurrence of different disasters and pandemics, processing MEDEVAC among other staff well-being activities.
In the past, the UN Clinic conducted mobile clinic visits to regions with poor medical facilities every two months to ensure UN personnel are well taken care of. However, for the past two years, this activity was halted given the current local situation in the Northern region of the country.
This has necessitated the institution of satellite clinics in the regions of Mekelle and Shire to ensure staff well-being.
The present ToR is intended to specify the type of nursing services required and guide the incumbents of the position on the dispensation of their duties at the respective duty stations, ensure clients safety, satisfaction and respect the organization’s rules and regulations from the health standpoint of view. In addition, supervision of the incumbents will be done at two levels, which are: administration by a UN organization based in the duty station and technically by the UN health Care Center.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provides nursing care to patients at the both as outpatient and inpatient whenever admitted to the temporary holding place in the clinic.
Performs such nursing assessment by using provided protocols to assess, triage and administer medications when necessary
– Take vital signs as usual and assists the Physicians in any procedures being initiated
– Treat patients with respect, compassion, and dignity
– Accompanies referred patients to hospitals in the city, while respecting the appropriate WHO recommended Infection prevention control.
– Ensures preparedness of staff travelling on missions or reassignments, including administration of appropriate vaccine, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel-related ailments. Instructs on the content and potential uses of the travel kit where available.
– Assists in providing health education and health promotion programs; participates in work environment assessment, e.g. office ergonomics, and addresses other occupational health issues
– Carries out the above services with the best ethical considerations to maintain confidentiality and avoid sharing patients’ medical condition with anybody in any form (using data for research purpose or in public lectures) without prior written consent of the patient and without duress.
– Facilitates referral to dedicated COVID-19 centers for further investigation, diagnosis and treatment by discussing the case with the medial officer (without giving false promises to the patient).
– Enters all patients’ details, vital signs and medications administered into EarthMed.
– Attends the continuous weekly medical education sessions to update his or her knowledge on COVID-19 and nursing care for patients.
– Discuss all patients issues with the physician, make follow up visits to the patients at home when necessary and visit those admitted to local hospitals.
-Accompany cases on MEDEVAC when approved and the services of a medical personnel required.
– Always demonstrate team spirit and be punctual, including informing UNHCC administration at least 3 weeks in advance on any changes to the individual timetable and exceptionally days before to allow for proper planning redistribution of work among team members.
– Participate in conducting preventive and well-being activities for all UN staff and their dependents.
– In the absence of the Medical Officer, provides routine care to the clients
– Professionalism: Knowledge of clinical, occupational and tropical medicine. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for decisions made during the dispensation of his or her duties.
– Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
– Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
– Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
– Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Required Skills and Experience
A minimum of BSC degree in nursing. Short Training in BLS, Vaccination, OSH, Infection Prevention is an advantage
National registration and License are required.
A minimum of 1 year work experience as a nurse is required. Experience in working in medical and surgical, including pediatrics is required. Knowledge in COVID-19 management and treatment is desirable.
– Excellent knowledge of English language, (both written and spoken) is required;
– A knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
– The work at the clinic requires the use of an electronic medical record system. Computer skills: full command of Microsoft applications (word, excel, PowerPoint) and common internet applications
The selected candidate will be assigned either in Mekelle or Shire as per the workload demand. Applicants are considered in agreement to this arrangement when submitting.
Important applicant information:-
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
How to Apply
Click on the button below
For more vacancy alerts join us on Telegram