- Cheshire Ethiopia (CE) is a pioneer non-governmental Disability and Development organization registered as Local Civil Society Organization committed to the provision of rehabilitation services to PwDs in Ethiopia since 1962. CE has been re-registered and accorded legal personality with Registry Number 0505 on 12/07/2019 as local organization in accordance with the Civil Society Organization No. 1113/2019.
CE is set to implement three-year project titled “Strengthening eye care services in the regions of Addis Ababa, Oromia, SNNP’ with general objective of contributing to improvement of eye health care services nationally. The project tries to comprehensively address the issue by implementing the following major activities:
- Strengthening human resource capacities through various training measures for the health staff of the Managesha Rehabilitation center (MRC) and primary health care facilities in the target region.
- Strengthening the MRC ophthalmology department by equipping the operating theatre with ophthalmic equipment, setting up an optical workshop and procuring medical supplies. Establish an efficient referral system as well as an early detection system in schools for comprehensive eye care for adults and children through coordinated outreach activities.
- Information and education campaigns to promote eye health and prevent avoidable blindness.
As part of project key personnel, we are looking for a professional optometrist who recognizes and treat common eye conditions, prescribe vision aids and recognize serious optical diseases. He/She often work in clinics with periodical facilitation of outreach campaign that offer routine eye tests, and will refer patients to a doctor for more serious treatment.
Responsibilities of the optometrist:
- Perform thorough routine eye inspection
- Identify the patients visual alertness, field of vision and hand eye coordination
- Diagnose sight problems, such as nearsightedness and color blindness
- Recognizing and treating common eye conditions
- Prescribing corrective lenses and medications
- Maintain accurate medical files for all patients
- Promote eye health by teaching patients about proper eye care technique
- Record all diagnosis and treatment plans including transfers and therapeutic prescriptions
- Recommending eye-strengthening exercises and vision therapy
- Identifying more serious optical diseases, such as glaucoma, cataracts, and others
- Referring patients to a doctor when necessary
- Consult on the establishment of an eye clinic and optical workshop and its organization
- Provide general consultation for better implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of eye health care project
- Plan and undertake the overall clinical activities and outreach missions of the eye health care project
- Providing periodical care such as vision testing and prescribing glasses and contact lenses
- Diagnosing and treating eye diseases and injuries.
- Performing any other related duties that can facilitate effectiveness and efficiency of the the eye health care project
Duty Station: Menagesha (26 KMs from the Capital)
Employment: Full Time one year contract with possible extension
- A BSc degree in optometry.
- Successful completion of an internship.
- Good clinical skills.
- Strong organizational, communication, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Prior experience of setting up an eye clinic and optical workshop desirable
How To Apply:
- Interested applicants can apply in person at the head office located at Meganagna to CMC Road Gurd shola roundabout, adjacent to Ethiopian Management Institute or send their latest resume /CV in word or PDF via; email@example.com within 5 consecutive working days from the date of advertisement through Ethiojobs.net