Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion officer (5) East Hararghe and Guji
Job Title: Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion officer Reference number: Vac/069/22 Vacancy posting date: March 21, 2022 Closing Date: March 30, 2022 Duty Station: East Hararghe and Guji Duration of Employment Employment Type: Fixed term Salary: As per the organization scaleInternational Medical Corps never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this recruitment, please report to International Medical Corps at the website provided at the end of this document.
Reporting to the WASH coordinator, the Sanitation and hygiene promotion officers will be responsible for the implementation and management of the Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene program of the East Hararghe and Guji zones emergency WASH response project which targets conflict endured IDPs/Returnees and host communities. The main duties of the job holder includes promotion of Hygiene, safe water management, latrine use for defecation, solid waste disposal, vector control, and environmental health activities and participate on regular hygiene promotion activities with the government health extension workers.
The IMC seeks SHP officer focusing on Sanitation and hygiene promotion for its East hararghe Zones Oromia region , emergency WASH response program to be based in woredas
Role and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the focal point person for all activities related to WASH at respective woredas
- Participate on needs assessments, planning, organizing, and implementation, of WASH programs in the designated project areas for IDPs, returnees, and host communities
- Update and organize hygiene and sanitation promotion materials, standard training manuals, guidelines for relevant government partners, IDPS, returnees, and host communities
- ·Promote increased awareness of improved sanitation and hygiene practices through effective approaches for IDP/Returnees and host communities.
- Train community WASH promoters and HEWs on hygiene promotion and behavior change practices
- Conduct hygiene promotion activities for IDPs, returnees, and host communities at public gathering places, schools, health facilities, and during event days
- Establish and train school WASH clubs to improve school sanitation and hygiene practices
- Provide WASH NFIs for most vulnerable IDPs/Returnee community groups in the targeted woredas
- Coordinate in site location and mobilizing the community to participate on the rehabilitation and construction of water schemes,
- Educate and mobilize IDPS, returnees, and host community to use latrine for defecation, proper waste management at village and household level, promote safe water management
- Participate on assessment/survey in collaboration with the WASH coordinator and woreda staff
- Coordinate with the construction Forman during site selection for construction of communal latrines for IDPs/returnees and monitor the progress of construction works
- Establish communal latrine management committees and latrine attendants among beneficiary groups and follow up the management and utilization of communal latrines
- Update the emergency situation in the woreda on bi-weekly bases
- Facilitate in working with relevant partners government sector offices: water, health, and DPPC or other NGO’s and GO’s
- Facilitate in the selection, designing, pre-testing, developing, dissemination and evaluation of appropriate hygiene educational materials for effective hygiene promotion program;
- Facilitate in organizing WASHCo and hygiene promotion trainings and workshops for the water management team and other partners (women groups, health agents, water committee, etc in the woredas) and coordinate in preparation and organizing all the required training materials;
- Work with relevant government and non- government partners to establish appropriate and alternative hygiene and sanitation models, and document and share challenges and success;
- Facilitate in documenting health related data and keep records on activities of hygiene promotion and sanitation;
- Ensure that sanitation and hygiene promotion activities are implemented through approaches and methods promoting local capacities and sustainable behavioral change;
- Take part in WASH knowledge, Attitude and practice (KAP) surveys and project evaluation in data collection, data entry, analysis and reporting in order to evaluate the impact of sanitation and hygiene promotion activities
- Prepare monthly reports and submit to the supervisor on the work progress of hygiene promotion and sanitation activities;
- Participate in other WASH activities as assigned by the supervisor.
Website for reporting misconduct: www.InternationalMedicalCorps.ethicspoint.com. Please do not submit your CV or application to this website, it will not be considered for review.
- Experienced professionals in a relevant field diploma or BSc Degree in the area of Environmental Health, Behavioral Science, Health Education and Promotion or Public Health, with at least 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Commitment to IMC’s mission- Improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity.
- Working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Preferable to use Office Word, and Excel
- Able to live and work with a multicultural team under difficult conditions
If you are asked for money in connection with this recruitment, please notify International Medical Corps at report@InternationalMedicalCorps.org.
How To Apply:
- Interested applicants who meet the above requirements should submit their application letter by clearly stating the position that you are applying for and CV through www.ethiojobs.net OR before March 30,2022
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: IMC is equal opportunity employer and hence candidate from all background: religion, ethnic group, qualified women and people living with disabilities, etc are all encouraged to apply.