Position: PUBLIC HYGIENE PROMOTION OFFICER – JARAR
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Jarar – Jijiga, Ethiopia
Application Deadline: Mar, 28/2022
This position is contingent upon funding and national only
This vacancy might be closed early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
Public Health Promotion (PHP) Officer is responsible to work with communities at a local level to encourage good hygiene standards amongst communities. He/she will provide training to Public health Promotion assistants, Hygiene promoters, Hygiene Community outreach agents, mobilizers, and key community members in the aspects of health promotion and disease prevention methods ensuring that activities are suitable in the various cultural contexts according to the location and target population.
- Under the strategic guidance of WASH TL, ensure overall PHP component effective planning and implementation to Humanitarian Response in line with response strategy.
- The PHP Office will respond to population displacement or drought-affected people as a member of a WASH Team
- Responsible to help the WASH Team leader and the entire team with transparent and quality implementation of the whole elements of the WASG projects. He/ She will work in close collaboration with Oxfam GB PHE team, EFSLVE, Gender, Protection, and MEAL teams to ensure that the PHP components of the response are implemented.
- Provide support and collaboration with the PHP Lead in diverse and complex problem solving, requiring professional knowledge field experience, and an understanding of the development and humanitarian work.
- Short, medium and long-term planning is required in the context of changing priorities.
- Contacts are with a wide spectrum of clients, often external including Government Authorities and sector offices.
- Makes complex technical information accessible and usable by a non-specialist and maximize sharing of lessons learned.
- Creates opportunities to develop work within a framework plan.
- Capacity building for the staff and community members who participate in the implementation of the project
What we are looking for is a candidate who cares about Oxfam’s mission to end poverty and is personally aligned to the values of empowerment, accountability, and inclusion in all you do and our feminist principles.
An ideal candidate for the role will also have:
- B.Sc. Degree in Environmental Health, Public Health, Nursery, Medical and Social Science from a recognized University/College or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience in Public Health Promotion required that can bring added value.
- Relevant experience of 3+ years in appropriate community-based public and environmental health programmes, preferably in INGOs.
- Practical experience and understanding of community mobilization in relation to water and sanitation activities in humanitarian programmes, specifically to IDPs residing at a concentration camp and integrated with the hosting community.
- Experience in working with including gov’t authorities, NGOs, and community-based organizations
- Demonstrate experience of programme integration and commitment to humanitarian principles and action to crosscutting issues including gender, protection, diversity into public health promotion programme.
- Very strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and ability to work in a variety of different cultural contexts.
- Be a team player and facilitate activity implementation to be undertaken within the agreed periods and timeframe.
- Knowledge of and commitment to humanitarian principles (NGO/Red Cross codes of conducts) and with the sphere humanitarian charter minimum standards.
- Strong skills in assessment, analysis, planning, negotiation, and oral and written reporting.
- Ability to work under pressure and in response to changing needs.
- Willingness to live and work in remote field conditions or locations with minimal camping requirements.
This role will allow you to act as a key contributor to our work of supporting those most in need. You will also have a chance to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, and internationally-focused environment and we offer fair pay and competitive benefits package
We believe flexible working is key to building the Oxfam of the future, so we’re open to talking through the type of flexible arrangements which might work for you. We think this role would work particularly well as a partially home-based role or job share.
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Oxfam GB also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
How to Apply