Mar 17, 2022 – Mar 27, 2022
Shamida’s Vision: We want to see every Ethiopian woman and child have a safe and loving home
Shamida’s Mission: Our Mission is to change the lives of destitute women, orphans and vulnerable children through Protection, Care, Empowerment, & Economic Development.
Shamida’s Values: Radically Inclusive: We welcome, value & respect everyone. Empowering: we give responsibilities, abilities, through skills and knowledge. Learning: we are progressive organization. Leadership: We are pioneers in what we do
Purpose of Post:
Is to ensure efficient delivery and child-patient care in accordance with accepted standard medical practice and professional codes of conduct at Shamida Shelter.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Clinical duties at shelter (35%)
- Assess and triage sick children – simple illnesses/wound care treated at the First aid post, more serious problems referred to the appropriate professional medical services (assessment, diagnosis, treatment and referrals)
- Accompany children to referral services and act as an advocate on behalf of sick children so that they receive the best medical care possible
- Liaise and follow-up any hospitalized children, ensuring they receive all necessary care and support whilst they are in hospital and follow-up after their discharge
- Health education and disease prevention life skills classes as appropriate to their age and understanding (in collaboration with other staff and as part of the life-skills programme)
- Appropriate purchase of necessary materials/supplies (within budget) for the first aid post
- Ensure the children’s hygiene is maintained and clothes are clean
- Perform/Assist in any other tasks as required by immediate supervisor.
- Ensure that Shamida is a hygienic environment for the children to engage in activities
Team & Partnership Working (70%)
- Work with the Shamida team to deliver the service and contribute for good team spirit
- Participate in monthly supervision with the Head Nurse
- Support and provide appropriate recommendation regarding best interest determination (BID) panel to guarantee best interest of the children.
- Advocate for legal and medical and other referral support services for beneficiaries
- Keep professional, accurate and confidential records of all consultations and laboratory results.
- Maintain high levels of hygiene and cleanliness and the appropriate sterilization of all medical equipment in the clinic
Planning and Reporting (20%)
- Closely work with head nurse and project team in the course of project planning and implementation.
- Facilitate and ensure the involvement of children as primary stakeholders in all project work.
- Ensure preparation of timely and quality monthly, quarterly and annual project progress reports.
Respect of confidentiality (10%)
- Strictly respect the confidentiality of data, being the property of the project beneficiaries and Shamida
- Ensure beneficiaries files/ data are properly put and locked
- Keep accurate stock keeping records of all materials and re-order and purchase new stock as required to keep sufficient materials in stock within the medical budget
- Comply with Shamida policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedure
- Respect the confidentiality regarding the content of interview during assessments.
Comply with Shamida child safeguarding policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Responsible for: Health and first aid care of children, health education and Life-skills Program
Responsible to: Head Nurse
Educational Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma in clinical Nursing and 2 years’ experience in working with orphans and vulnerable children
- BSc degree in Nursing or Public health and 0 years’ experience or Fresh Graduates
Skills and Knowledge
- Be empathetic and have an understanding of the issues surrounding vulnerable children
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Experience in childcare facilities in providing childcare and support to children of all ages;
- Good Communication and Interpersonal skills
- Ability to make logical and timely decisions
- Counselling skill
- Awareness of concepts and strategies of quality care
- Excellent judgment and decision making, clear verbal communication, situational awareness, close monitoring, problem solving, critical thinking, active listening.
- Having a strong work Ethic
- An eye for detail is the most important of nurse skills that a candidate has to possess.
- Compassion, Sensitivity, and Empathy
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can submit their Cover letter and CV’s through email: Jobs@shamidaethiopia.com before March 27, 2022
Note: Mention the Job Title on subject of the email, application letter & CV. Failing to do this may lead to disqualification. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and exam.