Lab Technician (3 positions)
Vacancy No.: CFA/0024/2022 Position Title: Lab Technician (3 positions) Position Grade: Special Short Term Daily “On-call” Duty Station: Jijiga, Ethiopia Type of Appointment: Three months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible Closing Date: 01 March 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer in Ethiopia, the direct supervision of the Lab technician in Jijiga, the successful candidate will be responsible for technical support to laboratory services with respect to Migration Health Assessments (HAP) and other programmes implemented by the IOM Migration Health Division in the MHAC Jijiga, Ethiopia. In particular, he/she will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Strict adherence to fraud prevention measures in all aspects of work performed for visa applicants
- Strict adherence to biosafety measures during specimen collection, laboratory procedures, disposing of, storing and shipping of specimens
- Performing specimen collection and overseeing specimen collection by contracted laboratories
- Insuring high quality of examinations performed at IOM laboratory and by contracted laboratories
- Collection, as required, of specimens for medical screening or treatment follow-up of visa applicants
- Following internationally accepted laboratory procedures when processing specimens for HIV, Hepatitis, Syphilis, Tuberculosis, Urine and stool examinations
- Insuring and maintaining high quality of performed laboratory tests
- Keeping laboratory registration neat and proper with clear hand-writing
- Keeping laboratory records on computer
- Preparing and submitting of stock orders in time, keeping stock records and monitoring consumption
- Managing shipments of the specimens and laboratory materials
- Managing internal Quality Assurance System in the laboratory for performed examinations
- Performing DNA specimens collection
- Keeping records of laboratory tests performed and submitting statistical reports to supervisors
- Assisting contracted laboratories in preparation and updating of standard operating procedures
- Participating in training/refresher trainings
- Perform any other related duties that may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Educational Qualification
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology, with valid license to work as Laboratory Technician in Ethiopia is required.
- Minimum 5 years relevant working experience in busy laboratory/medical institutions, International Organizations or NGOs dealing with refugees.
- Phlebotomy experience required.
- The incumbent should be conversant in biological specimen collection, storing, packing and transporting.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities.
- Required IOM functional competencies: Effective Communicator, Successful Negotiator, Creative and Analytical Thinker, Active Learner, Team Player.
- Proficient in Microsoft windows.
- Excellent phlebotomy skills.
- Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English is required.
- Knowledge of Somali and other local languages is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How To Apply:
- Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via ethiojobs.net by 01 March 2022 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email. No photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!
For more vacancy alerts join us on Telegram