Medical Assistant (3 positions)
Vacancy No.: CFA/0026/2022 Position Title: Medical Assistant (3 positions) Position Grade: Special Short Term Daily “On-call” Duty Station: Jijiga, Ethiopia Type of Appointment: Three months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible Closing Date: 01 March 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office, Jijiga, and the direct supervision of the Migration Health Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Jijiga, Ethiopia.
The Medical Assistant provides information, relevant to Health Assessment Programs, Applicant processing and other IOM services to the migrants. He/she may be assigned to one of two potential subunits within the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC): the reception and data processing unit or the call centre. The incumbent will need to be capable of flexibility when assigned different tasks. Below is a description of the possible tasks, which are more detailed in the duty lists and standard operating procedures (SOPS). Call Centre overall duties:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide migrants’ information regarding health assessments by phone;
- Register the migrants in the IOM database, schedule and confirm medical appointments and receive and communicate messages for medical staff and beneficiaries;
- Prepare master lists of migrants scheduled for health assessment processing and submit them to respective service providers / relevant persons as required;
- Maintain daily statistics related to health assessments and update the records; and,
- Contribute to customer satisfaction evaluation management. 2 Reception and Data Entry overall duties:
- Perform all the necessary data processing activities of the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC), such as: a. receiving and explaining the registration process to applicants; b. checking applicant’s identity; c. entering bio-data of the applicants in the appropriate platform; d. taking photos using webcam and loading the image to the appropriate platform; and, e. printing of medical forms, consent forms and other necessary documents.
- Receive all completed medical examination forms, x-rays and other documents from Country Offices or Panel Physicians while updating the reception of the same in the database and forward for quality check before clearance, if applicable;
- Prepare, sort and package medical files and other documents during mobile migration health assessment missions where such mobile units are available;
- Transmit completed medical forms, DNA packages and other medical documents either by electronic means or by courier services to the various partners. Ensure correct contacts and physical address are used whenever documents are transmitted by courier services and ensure to inform the receiving party of the parcel tracking number electronically;
- File incoming/outgoing letters, reports, memoranda, emails faxes as well as IOM documents and forms related to IOM medical issues;
- Check, print and make photocopy of bank deposit slips (or other proof of payment). Regularly submit these photocopies to the Administrative/Finance Assistant; and,
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Data / Information Management is required.
- At least four years of relevant working experience is required.
- Experience in computer data entry, elaboration and analysis or in a call centre in a busy institution, preferably a medical one is required.
- Typing speed of at least 60 words per minute
- High computer literacy in Windows and MS Office is mandatory, knowledge of web page design would be an asset
- Knowledge of medical terminology, as well as previous secretarial and archival experience, an added advantage
- Previous working experience with NGOs or international organizations is an added advantage.
- Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English is required.
- Knowledge of Somali and other local languages is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How To Apply:
- Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via ethiojobs.net by 01 March 2022 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email. No photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!
For more vacancy alerts join us on Telegram