Short Amharic video on causes of Nosebleed
(Watch the video for simple Amharic illustration)
Epsitaxis, bleeding from the nose, is very common. It is rarely life
threatening. It can be classified as mild, recurrent or sever/persistent. It can also be classified based on the cause as local and systemic. The local causes can be classified as anterior and posterior. 90% of the local case is anterior.
Risk factors for epistaxis
– Digital manipulation of the nose
– Drug abusing (nasal sniffers)
– Acute rhinitis (common cold)
– Excessive use of nasal spray
– Smoking can cause nasal dryness
– Anterior nasal bleeding or posterior nasal bleeding from the throat
– If the bleeding is severe it can cause shock
– If systemic cause is suspected: CBC, coagulation profile, liver function
1. Pinching the anterior aspect of the nose for 10 – 15 minutes.
2. Cold compression over the major neck vessels
3. Position the head forward (Tilt forward)
4. If the bleeding has not stopped, go to health facility.
For more similar articles join us on Telegram