INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Work Base:Somali (Gode)
Availability: As Soon As Possible
Number of posts: 1(One)
Salary scale:As per the organization salary scale
Contract Duration:End of December 2022 with a high possibility of extension
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position.
About Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger-USA is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children and we enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 8,000 staff in over 50 countries, our programs reached 17 million people in 2019.
About the Country Program in Ethiopia
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Ethiopia since 1984 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sectoral strategy where Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH, and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience.
Action Against Hunger currently operates in 5 different regions (Oromia, Somali, Amhara, Benishangul Gumuz and Gambella) with a portfolio of 20m USD/year of emergency, resilience building, research and innovation programs. We have a country team of around 600 staff in 17 regional and satellite offices. Our main donors in Ethiopia in 2020/2021 are: BHA, ECHO, Europaid, UNHCR, UNICEF, GFFO, BPRM, SIDA, EHF, WFP, CIAA and others.
I. Summary of position
Follow up program activities, develop different designs of WASH components and supervise all contracted out construction sites/projects.
The WASH Officer will be responsible to plan, implement, follow up and report WASH software components which includes hygiene, sanitation and WASH NFIs as well as hardware components in line with standards like Construction of Semi-permanent latrines, new/upgrading hand dug wells, installation of emergency water storage for water trucking or roof water harvesting and other water supply and construction works. Support WASH PM in reporting and overall program activities, supervise hygiene promoters and collaborate with the rest of employees.
The WASH Officer will communicate and coordinate with WASH PM; WASH team, all managers both support and program and all employees.
Externally, s/he will develop and maintain excellent relationships with partners, stakeholders and beneficiaries in the base.
The WASH Officer will ensure quality and timely reports of projects, in line with donor and the organization’s rules, regulations and standards.
Essential job duties
Objective 1:- Contribute to the overall implementation of the WASH technical activities
- Conduct need assessments and propose relevant technical solution to the needs identified,
- In collaboration with WASH team conduct feasibility study and analytical assessments prior to project implementation,
- Participate in organizing, coordination, planning and conducting of WASH surveys and assessments.
- Participate in developing operational plan for hygiene and sanitation promotion activities and for construction/rehabilitation activities as well as needed Ensures that adequate information is collected for each project site and community needs are included.
- Establish and oversee implementation of systems for efficiently controlling the quality and timeliness of works; closely tracking works progress against work plans, specifications, and standards
- Coordinate and ensures participation of communities and concerned stakeholders
- Establishes good working relationship with all stakeholders
- Participate and facilitate the on time implementation of water quality testing and sanitary survey for completed and undergoing WASH program construction activities and ensure reporting of the result
- Contribute to mapping of the water points implemented by AAH in the project area for better planning by using GPS and Water
- Facilitate and support visibility installation and erection at WASH programs intervention areas
Objective 2:- Plan, implement, monitor, and report hygiene and sanitation promotion activities
- Identify, plan, and coordinate hygiene promotion activities and sensitize local partners in the field
- Identify needs, plan and conduct technical training for the community, government staffs, WASHCOs, water schemes care takers and private vendors
- Assess gaps, plan, organize and implement context-specific hygiene promotion activities at community, health institutions and schools by using innovative approaches and standard tools such as CLTS, PHAST, CHAST
- Ensure the adoption of WASH Emergency and other innovative approaches for effective hygiene promotion
- Contribute to development of IEC materials based on local situation and ensure proper use of it
- Identify needs, plan and ensure the distribution of NFIs for the intended emergency affected beneficiaries
- Supervise and monitor the distribution of WASH NFI items
- Coordinate post distribution monitoring of NFIs
- Organize and ensure the proper documentation and reporting of every hygiene promotion activities, NFI distributions, assessments and capacity building activities
- Facilitate and distribute different logistical support and kits to government and to community as per ACF and donor guidelines
Objective 3: Contribute in the management of project and team
- Ensure implementation of the activities defined by the project (s) and the WASH PM
- Schedule activities according to the project’s development
- Assess and update project needs (financial, logistics)
- Identify and anticipate problems or constraints
- Propose solutions or improvements for better performance of the project
- Contribute to capitalize the WASH information of the department and the program intervention areas
- Participate in the technical recruitment of the project team
- Train the team of hygiene promoters and make sure they transmit messages clearly to the community
- Organize the Hygiene Promoter’s work: optimize the distribution of tasks among Hygiene Promoters
- Prepare reports and support in reporting
Objective 4: Contribute to internal and external coordination and representation
- Represent AAH in the field with local authorities and other stakeholders when needed
- Regularly reporting an input to the WASH PM on project performance
- Participate in internal and external coordination meetings when needed
- Conduct need assessments and propose relevant technical solution to the needs identified
- Provide technical and professional support to partner authorities and other partner NGOs when needed
- Laterally coordinate activities with care practice and health and nutrition experts
II. Supervisory Responsibilities
- Hygiene Promoters
III. Gender Equality Commitments
- Foster an environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
IV. Fiscal Responsibility
V. Physical Demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
VI. Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
Must be able to travel frequently for field works. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
- Job Requirements:
- I. Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
- B.Sc. Degree in Water Resources, Hydraulic, Civil Engineering, Environmental Health, Public Health or relevant field with a minimum 3 year of related experience (NGO related experience is advantageous) in WASH program field both in development and emergency situations.
- Understanding of the local culture and language is Mandatory
II. Required Skills & Competencies
- Knowledge of national and international WASH standards,
- Good experience on assessment tools and knowledge of different participatory hygiene and sanitation promotion approaches and tools is essential
- Knowledge of public health and communicable diseases like cholera, scabies, COVID-19
- Good experience of BoQ and drawing preparations and construction supervision works
- Good knowledge of Engineering Software’s like Auto CAD, Water CAD and etc
- Good communication with staffs and flexibility
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, outlook, power point, etc.).
- Working knowledge of the local language is an advantage
How To Apply:
- If you are interested, please send your application composed of none returnable CV, Covering Letter with “WASH Officer” written in the subject line, and three references, applicants to the following addresses: Ethiojobs.net
NB: Only short listed applicants will be, communicated on and selection process includes technical test and an interview.
For more vacancy alerts join us on Telegram