African union needs a Senior Technical Officer, Disease Surveillance And Intelligence, Doctors Online Ethiopia, January 7 2022
Organization: African Union
Position: Senior Technical Officer, Disease Surveillance And Intelligence
Required Number: One (1)
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Contract Type: Regular
Tenure of Appointment: 3 (3) years, of that the primary twelve months shall be thought of as a conditional amount.
Reports to: Head of Division – sickness police investigation and Intelligence
Salary: US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1)
Qualifications: Master’s Degree public Health, A clinical degree (e.g., Medical Doctor, MPhil, in drugs, Nursing or PharmD) in an exceedingly relevant discipline
Experience: a minimum of (10) years relevant work expertise out of that 3 (3) years ought to be at skilled level.
Deadline: 17 January 2022
Senior Technical Officer, Disease Surveillance And Intelligence
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Head of Division – Disease Surveillance and Intelligence
Directorate/Department: Africa CDC
Division: Disease Surveillance and Intelligence
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P3
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
The Senior Technical Officer Disease Surveillance and Intelligence will be responsible for providing technical assistance to advance African CDC strategic priorities and initiatives working with Member States and relevant regional implementing partners to strengthen health-related surveillance systems for improved public health decision making and action. The activities are designed to improve the health of the people of Africa through the use of surveillance data to enhance public health preparedness and response to emergencies and other health events (including outbreaks, man-made and natural disasters, and public health events of regional and international concern) and building capacity to reduce disease burden in the continent. In carrying out the work of the Division, the Senior Technical Officer supports the implementation of public health surveillance and epidemiologic activities, workforce development, strengthening of information systems, laboratory networks, and other related health systems strengthening activities.
• Provide technical support in the preparation and implementation of programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan
• Ensure effective coordination and implementation at various levels
• Liaise with Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), and other stakeholders on relevant matters
• Prepare and develop reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Division
• Provide technical support for the development of resource mobilization strategy with stakeholders coordination
• Manage and supervise employees under his/her supervision with regard to organization and performance evaluation.
• Conduct complex analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AU’s internal use.
• Liaise with the various Departments/Units of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes
• Prepare budgets for the Division in accordance with relevant frameworks. Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required.
• Actively contribute in the development of strategies, policies, programmes and plans
• Provide technical support to ensure the vision, mission and guiding values of the Africa CDC are developed, communicated, and implemented by Africa CDC and implementing partners as appropriate;
• Plan, develop, and implement Division specific policy and programme objectives, strategic plans, annual work plans, activity action plans, resource plans and budgets, staff performance plans necessary to achieve core strategies, outcome-oriented goals, and objectives. Evaluate and report on progress;
• Provide expert advice and consultation to Member States, RCC’s, NPHI’s, key stakeholders and partners regarding implementation of Africa CDC surveillance initiatives and programmes, e.g., Events Based Surveillance (EBS), emergency preparedness and response, strengthening disease monitoring and surveillance and laboratory systems and health information systems, workforce development and other activities through the regional integrated surveillance and laboratory networks (RISLNET);
• Provide technical assistance to improve existing event-based surveillance systems for outbreak detection, including efforts to incorporate information streams from laboratories, clinical care facilities, communities and across other sectors.
• Facilitate and coordinate development of standard operating procedures and monitoring and reporting mechanisms for strengthening regional and national surveillance systems;
• Facilitate and coordinate the development of tools and systems for the analysis, interpretation, and use of surveillance data for public health policy making and to guide decisions on allocation of public health resources;
• Facilitate and coordinate development of planning tools and reference guidance for regional surveillance capacity strengthening, working in collaboration with the NHPIs;
• Facilitate and coordinate crosscutting surveillance support across Divisions and Regional Collaborating Centres as appropriate. Special emphasis will be placed on Emergency Operations Center activities involving outbreak response, including disease surveillance, investigations, analysis, and reporting of disease threats across Africa;
• Work closely with the office of the Head of Management and Administration to ensure all resource requirements for Division activity implementation are communicated, processed and delivered. Facilitate and ensure monitoring and reporting for Division expenditures.
• Facilitate and coordinate, and lead when appropriate, the design of technical proposals/programmes and/or write, contribute and/or review proposals for implementation of agency initiatives, programs and projects;
• Facilitate, coordinate and contribute to the development of briefing notes, strategy documents, guidelines, and standard operating guidelines. Help lead efforts to document results and lessons from projects, in white papers or journal articles. Prepare input for reports, slides, and other materials as required
• Under the direction of the designated Africa CDC Incident Commander, provide technical services delivery in support of Africa CDC Emergency Response activities as appropriate and assigned.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Faciliter et coordonner le soutien à la surveillance multisectorielle dans les divisions et les centres collaborateurs régionaux, le cas échéant ; Un accent particulier sera mis sur les activités du Centre des opérations d’urgence comportant des interventions en cas d’épidémie, y compris la surveillance des maladies, les enquêtes, les analyses et l’établissement de rapport sur les menaces de maladies en Afrique ;
• Travailler en étroite collaboration avec le bureau du chef chargé de la gestion et de l’administration pour s’assurer que toutes les ressources nécessaires à la mise en œuvre des activités de la division sont communiquées, traitées et réalisées ; Faciliter et assurer le suivi et l’établissement de rapports relatifs aux dépenses de la Division ;
• Faciliter, coordonner et/ou diriger, le cas échéant, l’élaboration de propositions et de programmes techniques et/ou rédiger, contribuer et/ou passer en revue des propositions pour la mise en œuvre des initiatives, programmes et projets d’organismes ;
• Faciliter et coordonner l’élaboration de notes d’information, de documents stratégiques, des lignes directrices et des directives opérationnelles standard ou y contribuer ; Aider à diriger les efforts visant à documenter les résultats et les leçons tirées des projets sous forme de livres blancs ou d’articles de revues ; Contribuer aux rapports, diapositives et d’autres documents, le cas échéant ;
• Sous la direction du chef de commandement des interventions désigné par le CDC Afrique, assurer la prestation de services techniques en appui aux activités d’intervention d’urgence du CDC Afrique, le cas échéant où cette tâche lui serait confiée ;
• S’acquitter de tout autre tâche qui pourrait lui être confiée.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Master’s Degree in Public Health or a related discipline such as but not limited to Epidemiology or Health-Services Research with seven (7) years relevant experience, out of which three (3) years should be at expert level
• A clinical degree (e.g., M.D, MPhil, in medicine, Nursing or PharmD) in a relevant discipline such as, but not limited to, Public Health, Epidemiology, Health-Services Research, Health Outcomes Research, Biostatistics, Environmental Science or Decision Sciences with at least (10) years relevant work experience out of which three (3) years should be at expert level.
• Relevant* experience should be in implementing public health programmes, with special emphasis on epidemiology and surveillance or other public health programme and/or health sciences and outcomes research in any setting, including a governmental agency, academic institution, research organization or a life-sciences company.
• Clear understanding of health systems on the African continent and fair knowledge of operations of the Ministry of Health in Member States.
• Knowledge of public health programmes, health sciences research and health systems strengthening, and experience in supporting projects and programmes under government ministries and external donors. Knowledge and experience in supporting Public Health programmes or other public sector projects and programmes under government ministries and external donors.
• Knowledge of public health issues in Africa, and previous experience working in Africa.
*Relevant experience is defined as implementing/coordinating public health epidemiology and surveillance or other public health programme and/or health sciences research programme.
• Technical expertise and experience in supporting and/or managing complex, public health programmes related to disease prevention and control, epidemiology and surveillance and other health information systems.
• Familiarity with the administrative and management practices and processes typically employed by public health and other public sector programmes.
• Sound technical writing skills, in addition to narrative and financial reporting skills.
• Excellent organizational and time-management skills and a proven ability to deliver under tight deadlines and works well under pressure.
• Excellent skills and abilities applied to translating technical information into presentations, briefings and report and funding proposals for both technical and lay audiences.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to work in a multicultural environment
• Excellent communication (oral and written) and good presentation skills, provide programme consultation, and credible response to inquiries.
• Excellent technical and scientific writing skills, in addition to narrative and technical reporting skills.
• Resourceful and skilled at collecting, analyzing and using data to recommend, make and communicate decisions of a technical nature for both technical and lay audiences.
• Excellent computer skills, including office administration and statistical software applications and online digital information systems.
• Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish) is required. Knowledge of one or more of the other AU working languages would be an added advantage.
• Ability to work under pressure, stay on track and meet deadlines
• Good analytical and problem solving skills
• Ability to use clear, concise language in correspondence as well as including content fitting for the purpose and audiences when preparing written briefs and reports
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment
• High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound team-spirit
• Adaptive, patient, resourceful, resilient and flexible
• Pro-active and solutions oriented
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 22,932.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be made not later than 17 January 2022.
Requisition ID: 861
For more vacancy alerts join Doctors Online on Telegram