Program Coordinator – Yalo
- Context of the mission
Médecins du Monde (MDM) France is an International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) involved in humanitarian interventions, operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response.
The mission in Ethiopia is undergoing structural changes in 2021 with previous bases and activities in Somali Region being handed over to Medecins du Monde Germany. In addition, the geographical coverage of Medecins du Monde France in Ethiopia is expanding with, in addition to continuous operations in Afar region, new bases and projects being set up in other parts of Afar Region, & Oromia Region (around Chinaksen).
In response to the conflict that started in the Tigray Region and that has spread to both the Amhara and Afar Regional states, MdM is setting up an emergency response project in Yalo Woreda, Afar Region. MDM will support the government of Ethiopia with the provision of urgent medical services to the affected population through providing support to existing health centres and mobile health and nutrition clinics. The program coordinator in charge of leading all of the program activities of the project.
MEDECINS DU MONDE (MDM) invites you, the qualified candidates, to apply for the following position
- The Program Coordinator will be the responsible for the implementation of MdM Program/Medical intervention in Yalo woreda of Afar region. Key activities areas will include:
Essential Duties and responsibilities
Project Management :
- Work closely with the health facilities and woreda health office to build capacity and ensure that collaboration on Maternal and Child health activities are in line with the Project proposal;
- Oversee the management of the medical stock at the Mobile Health and Nutrition clinic and support same at the supported health facilities to ensure that it complies with MdM and donor procedures;
- Develop and maintain relationships with local government officials and partners. More specifically ensure close collaboration with the Woreda Health Office and with other (I)NGOs, donors, UN agencies, local government bodies;
- Produce monthly reports on project program achievements and update regularly MdM online monitoring tool.
- Ensure that both project and implementing partner staff receive appropriate and adequate training by mentoring and coaching them;
- Hold regular program team meetings and information sharing through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure;
- Follow the guidance of the MedCo and MdM Advisors regarding quality of care and ensure that technical guidelines/protocols are in place;
Context Follow-up :
- Follow contextual development in Yalo woreda and prepare an update for the monthly reporting of situation reports (SITREP) mainly for health situation update such as epidemics or displacement in the zone;
Project management :
- Support and lead the implementation of the project program activities at Yalo woreda level;
- Identify training gaps and develop capacity building plan for HC and MdM project staff.
- Assist medical ware house manager to ensure that the Mobile Health and Nutrition team and supported health facilities carry out appropriate delivery, reception and recording of medical orders and maintain security stock levels;
- In close collaboration with the Medical Coordinator, report on disease trends in the woreda
- Support and lead the realization of rapid needs assessment in the case of displacement or Outbreak in the supported zone and the secondary response activities when necessary
Monitoring and reporting:
- Monitor the progress of Project Log frame indicators via the MdM on-line tool on a monthly basis;
- Compile monthly project activities report and submit to Field coordinator and Medical Coordinator;
- Prepare any other report requested by MdM Field Coordinator and/or MdM General Coordinator.
Required Number: One
Employment Term: 4 month with possibility of extension, start immediately
Transportation allowance -1,300
Hard ship Allowance -30% of Basic salary
Reported to: The Project Coordinator will be based in Yalo town, Zone 4, Afar region. S/he will be under the direct supervision of the Field Coordinator based in Yalo/Semera. S/he will also report to the Field Coordinator while having functional links with the Medical Coordinator for technical follow-up and monitoring of the project. In Yalo s/he will be the direct line manager for the project team (1 health officer, four nurses and three midwives).
- Educational Qualification
- MSc degree in public Health
- Minimum of 5-year experience in the primary health care services –experience in BEmONC and capacity building is an added advantage.
- At least 3 years of working experience with an international NGO in emergency contexts.
Skills and qualities required
- Experience in planning and implementation of Mobile Health and Nutrition Clinics and/Sexual and Reproductive Health activities in emergency plus outbreaks such as Covid19 prevention.
- English and Amharic language are mandatory and knowledge of Afar language is an advantage (speaking and writing).
- Experience in partnership development and management.
- Strong organizational skills in emergency situations and autonomous in daily operations.
- Excellent reporting skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Fully fluent in Microsoft Word, Excel and Power-Point.
- Showing flexibility, reactivity, anticipation, adaptability.
- Capacity to work and to live in a remote and isolated area.
- Experience/knowledge of Afar region is a plus.
- Experience in ECHO funded project is a plus.
How to Apply
- Interested applicants are required to fill the application form at the following link https://forms.gle/MUS5ziFLEoX9VzFHA (Note : All the information that provided in this form is true and accurate) and submit their CV with cover letter through firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Program Coordinator.
We are expecting the final approval of Afar National Regional State Health Bureau to proceed with the hiring process; however, we are confident that the MoU will be signed in a short period of time. Hence, it is subject to donor funding.
For more vacancy alerts join us on Telegram