Midwife – Yalo
- Context of the mission
Médecins du Monde (MDM) France is an International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) involved in humanitarian interventions, operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response.
The mission in Ethiopia is undergoing structural changes in 2021 with previous bases and activities in Somali Region being handed over to Medecins du Monde Germany. In addition, the geographical coverage of Medecins du Monde France in Ethiopia is expanding with, in addition to continuous operations in Afar region, new bases and projects being set up in other parts of Afar Region, & Oromia Region (around Chinaksen)
In response to the conflict that started in the Tigray Region and that has spread to both the Amhara and Afar Regional states, MdM is setting up an emergency response project in Yalo Woreda, Afar Region. The midwife is a key position in this project supporting the provision of health services to the vulnerable population working in partnership with the government Ministry of Health with work based in both Gubidora and Udeyle Health Facilities and one mobile clinic.
This job description may be subject to modification following the evolution of the activities. These modifications will be defined and discussed between the employee and MdM.
MEDECINS DU MONDE (MDM) invites you, the qualified candidates, to apply for the following position.
- The Midwife will be responsible for the implementation of Basic Emergency Obstetric and New Born Care (BEmONC) services and MCH strengthening of Udeyla/Gubidora Health Centre (HC) in Yalo Woreda.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure the provision of the seven signal functions of BEmONC
- Coordinate all the activities with the Head of the Health Centre and relevant departments (e.g. Pharmacy, EPI, nutrition etc.)
- Build the capacity of Gubidora/Udeyla HC health staff to deal with obstetric emergencies and complications
Key activities areas will include:
- Support the management of obstetric emergencies and complications and timely referral at Udeyla/Gubidora HC.
- Mentor and coach health staff on seven signal functions of BEmONC.
- Conduct need assessment of the MCH + Family Planning department to identify gaps in equipment, drugs and supplies;
- Conduct training assessment needs and develop a training plan;
- Ensure that practices are aligned with evidence-based clinical practice in line with the national guidelines and protocols;
- Provide compassionate and respectful care at the HC;
- Demonstrate behavior that upholds the public trust in the service.
- Maintain confidentiality for survivors of SGBV and ensure follow up on the referral pathway
- Compile monthly project activity report and submit to the health project coordinator;
- Ensure recordings and completeness of data related to MCH services at Udeyla/Gubidora Health Centres;
- Conduct immediate analysis and reporting on maternal and neonatal deaths.
- Identify clients requiring referral to CEmONC hospital and communicate timely with the facility in-charge/HO
- Track referrals and report on outcomes to health program coordinator
Mentoring and coaching :
- Conduct needs assessment of the HC regarding equipment, drugs and supplies;
- In close collaboration with the HC Head and Pharmacist, work on adequate pharmacy management system to ensure that the drugs provided by the Project are appropriately stored and managed;
- Support the implementation of infection and prevention control;
- Mentor and coach health staff of the HC on seven signal functions of BEmONC/use of partograph and other MCH+ FP good practices and plan/deliver quality training and follow up;
- Implement standards and protocols for MCH plus Family planning services in Udeyla/Gubidora HC;
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Introduce a partograph register for follow up
- Submit monthly referral outcome report
- Participate in Woreda maternal mortality audit and share report
- Prepare a monthly report, including on drug/consumables consumption and submit to Project coordinator.
Required Number: Three
Employment Term: 4 month with possibility of extension, start immediately
Transportation allowance -1,300
Hard ship Allowance -30% of Basic salary
Reports to: under the direct supervision of the Health Program Coordinator based in Yallo, Afar Regional State. For technical advice and support, s/he will consult with the Program Coordinator & the MedCo. S/he will be the line manager for MHNC Midwives for Udeyla/Gubidora.
- Educational Qualification
- BA Degree in BSc midwifery & related areas
- At least 3 years’ experience of BEmONC/MCH in the clinical setting
Skills and qualities required
- English is mandatory (speaking and writing) and Ahmaric language will be an asset
- Working knowledge of MISP
- Flexibility, reactivity, anticipation, adaptability
- Good organizational skills in day to day and crisis situation
- Excellent computer and reporting skills
- Good communication skills
- Ability to classify and manage priorities – High autonomous is required
- Interest and ability to work in a team
- Capacity to work and to live remote area with intense conditions and limited resources
- Experience/knowledge of the area
- Working command of English
- Working knowledge of Afar language an advantage
- Working knowledge of Amharic
- Previous experience in mentoring and coaching
- Previous experience and/training in SGBV including the clinical management of rape (CMR) is an added advantage
- Trained on compassionate and respectful care
How To Apply:
- Interested applicants are required to fill the application form at the following link https://forms.gle/Uf9byYtJoTwTUn8UA (Note : All the information that provided in this form is true and accurate) and submit their CV with cover letter through email@example.com with the subject Midwife.
We are expecting the final approval of Afar National Regional State Health Bureau to proceed with the hiring process; however, we are confident that the MoU will be signed in a short period of time. Hence, it is subject to approval of funding.
For more vacancy alerts join us on Telegram