Health Officer – Yalo
- Context of the mission
Médecins du Monde (MDM) France is an International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) involved in humanitarian interventions, operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response.
The mission in Ethiopia is undergoing structural changes in 2021 with previous bases and activities in Somali Region being handed over to Medecins du Monde Germany. In addition, the geographical coverage of Medecins du Monde France in Ethiopia is expanding with, in addition to continuous operations in Afar region, new bases and projects being set up in other parts of Afar Region, & Oromia Region (around Chinaksen)
In response to the conflict that started in the Tigray Region and that has spread to both the Amhara and Afar Regional states, MdM is setting up an emergency response project in Yalo Woreda, Afar Region. MDM will support the government of Ethiopia with the provision of urgent medical services to the affected population through providing support to existing health centres and mobile health and nutrition clinics. The Health Officer is a key position in this project supporting the provision of health services to the vulnerable population working in partnership with the Regional Health Bureau based in both Gubidora and Udeyle Health Facilities and one mobile clinic.
MEDECINS DU MONDE (MDM) invites you, the qualified candidates, to apply for the following position
The Health Officer’s overall responsibility is centered on the provision of quality, lifesaving care in the supported Health Centres and mobile clinics, through consultations, referral, and follow-up and accurate patient record keeping as per Ministry of Health (MoH) and MDM set protocols.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly
Essential Duties and responsibilities
Health services provision
- Delivers high quality curative and preventive health care services during outpatient consultation
- Inpatient review in collaboration with the facility Medical officer if available
- He/she follows up rational prescriptions for the supplies provided to supported facilities/MHNC
- Facilitates training and mentorship for staff on rational use of drugs
- Provides, emotional and psychological support to patients and family members
- Applies medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and treat patients according to MoH or international protocols (WHO).
- Provides emergency care, stabilisation and referral of patients requiring secondary and tertiary care
- Facilitates safe referrals of patients following agreed referral pathway
- Monitors the rational distribution and management of medicines and equipment
- Ensures Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) standards are adhered to at all time
- Facilitates safe referral of patients following agreed referral pathway
- Communicates with relevant authorities and MDM in case of a potential outbreak through the surveillance system (EWARS)
Supervision of the provision of quality health services
- Ensures quality clinical consultations, treatment, referral and follow up activities follows the MoH and International (WHO) protocols.
- .Ensures all consultations with patients are in a dignified, confidential and appropriate manner in keeping with the standards and principles set out by MDM.
- Supervises the COVID 19 screening and follow up on suspected cases in adherence to the measures as provided by Ethiopian Ministry of Public Health in ensuring staff duty safety.
- Supervises the outreach activities carried out by MDM supported HEWs
Human resources management
- Supervises the HEWs (MDM)
- Liaising with HF administration and management
Required Number: One
Employment Term: 4 month with possibility of extension, start immediately
Transportation allowance -1,300
Hard ship Allowance -30% of Basic salary
Reports to: Programme Coordinator.
- Educational Qualification
- BS Degree in Medicine /Surgery (Medical Doctor / General Practitioner) or Public Health / Higher Diploma
- At least 3 years of working experience as health officer in a health facility/Mobile Clinic in emergency
Skills and qualities required
- Essential – Experienced in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong organizational skills in emergency situations and autonomous in daily operations
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of institutional health system in Ethiopia
- Women are strongly encouraged to candidate
- Essential: English: Very good working knowledge
- Amharic: Very good working knowledge
- Afar: an asset
How To Apply:
- Interested applicants are required to fill the application form at the following link https://forms.gle/ZzLZQga3xV2HHG1p7 (Note : All the information that provided in this form is true and accurate) and submit their CV with cover letter through firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Health Officer.
We are expecting the final approval of Afar National Regional State Health Bureau to proceed with the hiring process; however, we are confident that the MoU will be signed in a short period of time. Hence, it is subject to approval of funding.
For more vacancy alerts join us on Telegram