Nurse – Yalo
- Context of the mission
Médecins du Monde (MDM) is an International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) involved in humanitarian interventions, operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency responses.
The mission in Ethiopia is undergoing structural changes in 2021 with previous bases and activities in Somali Region being handed over to Medecins du Monde Germany. In addition, the geographical coverage of Medecins du Monde France in Ethiopia is expanding with, in addition to continuous operations in Afar region, new bases and projects being set up in other parts of Afar Region, & Oromia Region (around Chinaksen).
The project aims primarily to improve access to and the quality of health services with a focus on life-saving Mother and Child Health (MCH) interventions. The proposed activities include ensuring high-quality basic emergency obstetric and new-born care (BEmONC) at Udeyla and Gubidora health centre; improving MCH services through mobile health clinics and timely referral to CEmONC facilities. The focus the project will be on capacity-building, training and mentoring, equipment and medical supplies, and community sensitization.
In response to the conflict that started in the Tigray Region and that has spread to both the Amhara and Afar Regional states, MdM is setting up an emergency response project in Yalo Woreda, Afar Region. The Mobile Clinic/Health Centre Nurse is a key position in this project supporting the provision of care to the vulnerable population working in partnership with the Regional Health Bureau based in both Gubidora and Udeyle Health Facilities and one mobile clinic.
MEDECINS DU MONDE (MDM) invites you, the qualified candidates, to apply for the following position
- The nurse’s overall responsibility is centred around the improvement of the overall health of the targeted community through the provision of quality nursing care through Mobile clinics/static Primary Health Care (PHC)Centres in Udeyla/Gubidora Health centres in Yalo Woreda. This includes high quality curative and preventive health care, triage, registration, vital signs measurement, growth monitoring, health education and vaccination activities, etc. The post holder will work collaboratively with the other members of the health team; Regional and Woreda staff and partners to meet the needs of patients, promote healthy behaviours, strengthen health systems and increase local capacity.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
- Administer high quality curative and preventive nursing care
- Deliver quality clinical consultations, treatment and referral adhering to MOH / (WHO) protocols.
- Update and manage patient documentation/ records ensuring patient confidentiality and
- Ensure all contact with patients are managed in a dignified, confidential and appropriate manner.
- Responsible for triage and admission of patients including weight, nutritional status, measurement and recording of vital signs
- Identifies and refers malnourished infants and children, implements and promotes Infant and Young
- Child Feeding (IYCF) and nutrition practices
- Develops, implements and evaluates individual nursing plans for patients
- Prioritizes/triages health problems and initiates effective emergency care if required
- Recognizes and isolates suspected infectious diseases while reporting to health authority (MoH)/
- Knowledge and understanding of SGBV referral pathways
- Cares and manages referral of patients presenting with mental health problems.
- Safely administers drugs: preparation, dispensing and recording of prescribed drugs IM/IV/Oral
- Safely administers and manages prescribed intravenous fluids.
- Participates in pharmacy management, maintenance and management of medical equipment
- Implements and adheres to Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) protocol at all times
- Ensures cleanliness of work environment (including facility, material, linen, equipment, and carrying out (non) medical waste disposal)
- Takes part in emergency preparedness activities
- Available to work at short notice to respond to public health emergencies
- Attends learning and development opportunities
- Accountable to the nursing procedures within the service delivery points (MHNC and HC)
- Compile monthly project activity report and submit to the health project coordinator;
- Ensure recordings and completeness of data related to mobilie clinic and services at Udeyla/Gubidora Health Centres;
- Conducts immediate analysis and reporting on under- five deaths.
- Identify clients requiring referral to secondary care and communicate timely with the facility in-charge/HO
- Track referrals and report on outcomes to the health program coordinator
- Ensure drug compliance by the patients and follow up for chronic illness
Mentoring and coaching :
- Conduct need assessment of the HC regarding equipment, drugs and supplies in the medical/pediatric ward;
- In close collaboration with the HC Head and Pharmacist, work on adequate pharmacy management system to ensure that the drugs provided by the Project are appropriately stored and managed;
- Support the implementation of infection and prevention control;
- Mentor and coach health staff of the HC on IPC, drug administration and management;
- Implement standards and protocols for IMCI, triage +COVID 19;
- Supervise and train nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related health staff to
- provide high quality care and safe working environment for patient and staff both in Mobile and Health centre as need arises.
- Gives Health Education to families promoting positive health seeking behaviours
Monitoring and Reporting
- Submit monthly referral outcome report
- Prepare a monthly report, including on drug/consumables consumption and submit to Project coordinator.
Required Number: Four
Employment Term: 4 month with possibility of extension, start immediately
Transportation allowance -1,300
Hard ship Allowance -30% of Basic salary
Reports to: Health Program Coordinator based in Yallo, Afar Regional State. For technical advice, s/he will consult with the Program Coordinator and the MedCo.
- Educational Qualification
- BSc /Diploma in Nursing
- At least 3 years’ experience as a nurse in the clinical setting preferably in an emergency setting
Skills and qualities required
- Working knowledge of English is mandatory (speaking and writing) good knowledge of Afar language is required and knowledge of Amharic language will be an asset
- Working knowledge of IPC, BEmONC and Nutrition
- Flexibility, reactivity, anticipation, adaptability
- Good organizational skills in day to day and crisis situation
- Excellent computer and reporting skills
- Good communication skills
- Ability to classify and manage priorities – High autonomous is required
- Interest and ability to work in a team
- Capacity to work and to live remote area with intense conditions and limited resources
- Experience/knowledge of the area
- Previous experience in mentoring and coaching
- Previous experience and/training in BEmONC is an added advantage
- Trained on compassionate and respectful care
How To Apply:
- Interested applicants are required to fill the application form at the following link https://forms.gle/XXGQ9Xnp16L7bnmj8 (Note : All the information that provided in this form is true and accurate) and submit their CV with cover letter through email@example.com with the subject Nurse.
We are expecting the final approval of Afar National Regional State Health Bureau to proceed with the hiring process; however, we are confident that the MoU will be signed in a short period of time. Hence, it is subject to approval of funding.
For more vacancy Alerts Join us on Telegram