Embassy of United States of America
Position: Public Health Specialist
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Permanent
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Salary: USD $22,927
Application Deadline: Jan, 3/2022
Hiring Path: Open to the Public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 04. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants/All Sources
Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
Appointment Type: Permanent
Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
The U.S. Mission, CDC in Addis Ababa/Ethiopia is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Public Health Specialist.
The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (4 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: NO
Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: NO (Occasional Travel)
Travel Required: Travel within and outside of Ethiopia may be required as part of the job.
The job holder provides technical assistance in planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of PMTCT activities for programs supported by the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) in Ethiopia. Under the direction of the Senior Public Health Specialist, job holder supports country’s interventions to significantly improve access to care and reduce HIV from Mother to Child Transmission (MTCT). Job Holder performs these technical advisory responsibilities by developing and maintaining close working relationships with host country ministries and implementing partner organizations in order to ensure that PMTCT program activities and studies in Ethiopia are carried out in accordance with the implementing grant, cooperative agreement with the host government. Job holder coordinates funding, reporting, and administration with the extramural team to ensure adherence to cooperative agreement/grant, and to ensure the appropriate use of USG funds.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: Five years of mid-to senior-level public health experience in developing, implementing, and evaluating HIV/AIDS Prevention or other public health programs that involve coordination with an international agency or implementing partner is required.
EDUCATION: Masters (MPH) Degree, or host country equivalent, in public health, nursing, health policy, public administration, or Behavioral Science and Gender studies is required.
LANGUAGE: Level IV (fluency-speaking/reading/writing) in English and Amharic. (These may be tested)
Skills and abilities: Must be able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment. Excellent oral and written communications skills to develop and maintain effective working relationships with national and international health partners are required. An intermediate user level of word processing spreadsheets and databases is required. Ability to analyze and integrate diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources numerical skills for data analysis are required. (These may be tested).
Note: Shortlisted candidates selected for an interview will be given a Prevention of Mother To Child Transmission-related topics to work on and present on the interview day and be prepared for follow-on questions in the discussion, afterward. Presentations should be emailed, in advance, CDC – HR.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Addis Ababa/Ethiopia may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference. of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/definitions-for-va
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead.
How to apply
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested Master’s degree and/or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide the requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification or equivalent (or equivalent)
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Passport copy
- Master’s degree(s) and/or transcripts (required)
- Work Experience (required)
- Certificate or License
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email or phone.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
For more Vacancy Alerts Join Doctors Online On Telegram