International Food Policy Research Offricer (IFPRI) Vacancy, Doctors Online Ethiopia, December 13 2021
RESEARCH OFFICER I
- Deadline: 23 Dec 2021
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- International Food Policy Research Offricer (IFPRI)
The position: The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks to hire a Research Officer I for its Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office (ESAO) Division in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
General: IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the CGIAR Consortium. The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries. With a vision for a world free of hunger and malnutrition, IFPRI’s mission is to provide sustainable solutions for ending hunger and reducing poverty.
The overall purpose of the job is to support IFPRI researchers within an agricultural and economic research environment focused on policy-relevant research and evaluation in Ethiopia. The Research Officer is expected to contribute to research design, data collection and empirical analysis of primary and secondary data across IFPRI’s research areas: ensuring sustainable food production; promoting healthy food systems; improving markets and trade; transforming agriculture; building resilience; and strengthening institutions and governance. The Research Officer is expected to provide primary support to ongoing research and evaluation activities on a multi-component youth employment training intervention paired with sexual and reproductive health training and service strengthening. In addition, the Research Officer may be involved in diverse projects as part of IFPRI’s work in Ethiopia, including evaluations of digital agriculture and coffee agronomy programs.
- Managing and supporting primary data collection on youth, rural households, as well as data at the institutional-level and on value chains – including supporting interviewer training, development of survey instruments, field monitoring and quality assurance;
- Managing and supporting collection of qualitative data, including focus group discussions, key informant interviews, and in-depth interviews – including supporting interview training, development of survey guides, field monitoring and quality assurance;
- Supports collection of program monitoring data and liaise with program implementers to strengthen and facilitate real-time data collection within internal program operations;
- Conducting data cleaning, statistical and econometric analyses, as well as analysis of qualitative data;
- Contributing to research outputs – including drafting, editing, and transcribing reports, writing literature reviews, research reports, concept notes, manuscripts, and funding proposals;
- Assisting with organization of seminars, workshops, and other learning events;
- Assisting in the preparation of presentations, ensure timely and accurate dissemination of research findings to the relevant government authorities and donor agency;
- Communicate research findings to external audiences as appropriate;
- Any other responsibilities that will be assigned by supervisor or management.
- Master’s degree in Public Health ,economics, agricultural/development economics, social sciences or related discipline
- Proficiency in using statistical packages, including STATA and qualitative analysis software, such as NVivo, ATLAS.ti or other
- Excellent quantitative analytical skills, qualitative analysis skills preferred
- Thorough knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, and data management
- Excellent knowledge of both written and spoken English
- Previous work experience and knowledge desired on topics including youth employment training, pubic health, including sexual and reproductive health and impact evaluation
- Excellent organization and communication skills, as well as ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time, including for data collection and program monitoring visits to field sites
- At least 3 years’ experience after Masters’ degree in a similar position
- Broad / specialized knowledge of methods, techniques and processes
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Grade: HG 13
Monthly Base Salary: birr 24,599 to birr 36,898 (negotiable depending on salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a National Staff (NS) position, initial appointment is for one year with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus in Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: RO/IFPRI/32/21 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above before 23 December 2021.
To find more about IFPRI, visit our Website at http://www.ifpri.org/
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at https://www.ilri.org
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
For more Vacancy alerts Join Doctors Online On Telegram