BRITISH EMBASSY IN ETHIOPIA Vacancy, Doctors Online Ethiopia, December 10 2021
SOFT POWER PROJECT MANAGER – MATERNITY COVER
BRITISH EMBASSY IN ETHIOPIA PUBLIC HEALTH FULL TIME
Dec 10, 2021 – Dec 24, 2021
Position: Soft Power Project Manager – Maternity Cover
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Salary: ETB 49,639.94
Application Deadline: Dec, 24/2021
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality, and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organizational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, color, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or other categories protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Main Purpose of Job:
To coordinate and project manage the activities of a dynamic and creative team, with the ultimate aim of developing UK-Ethiopia relations. To take ownership of soft power and public diplomacy projects and campaigns, with and without budgets, delivering on deadline and with high-quality outputs. To establish and maintain relationships between British and Ethiopian organizations and individuals. To manage and run Embassy events and high-level visits. To oversee our Chevening Scholarships and Fellowships Programs and build deeper links with our alumni networks. To manage three members of staff.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The UK’s Embassy in Addis Ababa is one of our largest in Africa, and the development program run from within it is our biggest on the continent. The UK also works closely with the Government of Ethiopia and other Ethiopian institutions on matters including climate change, trade, promoting economic reform, and protecting human rights.
We are proud of our longstanding bilateral relationship with Ethiopia and of our unique soft power. The UK’s education, culture, brands, businesses, media, sport, and institutions are world-class and we are famous for quality, creativity, and innovation. We want to build up our brand here and work together with Ethiopia towards our shared goals. We are broadening our approach to increase our person-person and organizational links and engagement, in addition to our regular flow of ministerial visitors. We are looking for someone to manage the implementation of several strategies that aim to build ties between our two countries in key areas and support the UK’s policy objectives.
This role should provide the right candidate with rewarding ownership of interesting projects, a cross-cultural work environment, and exposure to senior UK government officials and ministers. No two days will be the same.
The successful candidate’s role will be composed of: managing and mentoring 3 junior members of staff (25%), project managing and quality assuring a number of soft power and public diplomacy campaigns and programs – which can shift, when needed, to project managing high-level visits (50%) and overseeing the administration of Chevening fellowships and scholarships, and implementation of a Chevening engagement plan (25%).
The job holder will manage an Events and Visits Officer, providing oversight of virtual and in-person events in the beautiful British Embassy compound. The jobholder will also manage a Public Diplomacy Officer who supports the development of relationships and small projects to assist the Embassy’s soft power strategies. The jobholder will need to have a good eye for communications and reputation management, working closely with communication officers to maximize the public impact of UK engagement, and overseeing longer-term communication campaigns. The job holder will lead their team, and often members of the communications team, and work closely with colleagues across the Embassy, to deliver projects or programs with a positive impact on UK-Ethiopia relations, often to tight deadlines.
The jobholder will play an important role in high-level and ministerial visits, supporting policy leads to plan and organize smooth, successful, and high-impact visits.
The successful candidate will oversee the activities of a Chevening Officer and take responsibility for an increase in our engagement with scholarship alumni, overseeing events and projects designed to link British Embassy staff with scholars. Running for 35 years, Chevening is the UK Government’s flagship scholarship program, in Ethiopia including both a 1-year scholarship offer for Masters level students and two 2-month fellowship programs that focus on short-term high impact leadership training for senior figures in the media and public sectors. The program has a value of about £700k p/a.
The ideal candidate will have project or program management experience. They will be organized, have a good eye for detail, and be able to juggle changing priorities. They will have excellent verbal and written communication skills and an enthusiasm for connecting with new people. They will be excited about problem-solving, able to find their feet in a new environment quickly, and take pride in overseeing high-quality pieces of work. They will enjoy mentoring more junior members of their team and working with a broad role of stakeholders inside and outside the British Embassy.
Resources Managed (Staff and Expenditure)
Line manager for 1 x B3 Assistant Visits and Events Officer, 1 x B3 Chevening Officer and 1 x B3 Public Diplomacy Officer.
Budget management for projects in cultural and soft power areas – this varies from year-to-year.
Oversight of Chevening Programme worth ~£700k (although detailed budget management is handled in London).
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- At least 3 years office-based experience, with some experience of line management
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and analytical skills
- Good eye for detail
- Project and/or program management experience
- Proven ability to problem-solve
- Knowledge of the UK, including its culture, values and institutions
Desirable qualifications, skills, and experience
- Events experience
- Communications, media, or PR experience
- Experience working in an international organization
- Seeing the Big Picture, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
Grade: C4 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Working hours per week: 36 hours
Duration of Post: 6 months
Location (City): Addis Ababa
Type of Post: British Embassy
Number of vacancies: 1 (One)
Salary: ETB 49,639.94
Start Date: 14 February 2022
End Date: 15 August 2022
The locally engaged staff of all grades will be entitled to paid annual leave as follows:
Up to 2 years 22 days
After 2 years of service 25 days
After 5 years of service 30 days
In addition to annual leave, the British Embassy observes up to a maximum number of 14 Ethiopian, British and Religious public holidays each year. A list of such Embassy holidays will be published each year. Office Staff required to work on these holidays will be granted time off in lieu or overtime where circumstances permit.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit it, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Addis Ababa are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Ethiopia.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit. The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay the fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs of relocation
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office Competency Framework can be found on this link:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log in to your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Ethiopia with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- The British Embassy in Addis Ababa is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse
How to Apply
- Workforce and valuing difference.
For more Vacancy Alerts Join Doctors Online On Telegram