Doctors Online Ethiopia, November 26 2021
Nov 26, 2021 – Dec 5, 2021
Reference number: Rec/003/21
CORDAID is a Dutch, international non-governmental organization which combines 100 years of experience and expertise in emergency aid and structural poverty eradication. CORDAID believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for a just and sustainable society where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion tear up societies, we connect people and communities. We also stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders, to make a difference where it is most needed. Together with more than 600 partner organizations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America we structurally improve the living conditions of the poorest and most excluded populations – the bottom billion.
Purpose of the position/Job’s aim
The Project Coordinator is responsible for the management and successful implementation of the PBF project. S/he will lead, mentor and monitor the local team based in Bahirdar in the execution of the PBF Project in all aspects of the PBF- project with a special focus on improving the quantity and quality of the health services provided by the health facilities participating in the PBF-project to monitors the progress and performance.
Responsibilities and Accountability
- Coordinate the implementation of the PBF-project and office in Amhara zone, making sure that all systems and procedures are in place and that the project will realize the results aimed for, formulated in the proposal approved by the Netherlands Embassy and are in line with the Project Implementation Manual
- Coordinate the PBF-project, its activities and the roles/responsibilities of all local actors involved in the project.
- Responsible for the overall daily organization and (financial/administrative) management of the Bahirdar office and PBF project
Contracts, Work plans and Reviews
- Facilitate and manage the timely preparation and signing of contracts with the health facilities, WHOs, ZHD and the CBO’s.
- Formulate on a quarterly basis PBF-project management work plans and operational budgets.
- Support the quarterly reviews undertaken by the Woreda Health Offices and the Zonal Health Department focusing on the quality component of the PBF-project
- Supervise all project staff based in Bahirdar Office
- Provide technical support to the field staff and ensure they follow the PIM processes properly
- Conduct regular performance evaluations for all the staff in the Bahirdar office
- Function as the Bahirdar contact person for the development, maintenance and use of the PBF-database system linked to DHIS2 and the innovative block chain technology to be linked to PBF.
Quantity and Quality Assurance and Invoicing
- Regularly analyze the performance of the quantity and quality of the PBF data of all the contracted health facilities and Woreda Health offices, as well as the payments in liaison with the Data Expert
- Report on trends in the data and advice on any anomalies and out layers. Investigate on abnormalities of the results of data and recommend about changes where needed.
- Contribute to the periodic review and revision of the Quantity Indicator list, the Quality assessment tools and the PIM.
- Ensure that the (verified) final invoices for payment of the PBF-subsidies submitted are accurate and sent timely to the Fund holder, so that payments can be made in a timely manner.
- Monitor the progress of the PBF-project and identify key challenges and come up with solutions to solve them, this in close consultation with the PBF staff based in the Cordaid Addis Ababa office
- Monitor and verify the client satisfaction questionnaires for completeness and accuracy of data
Training and coaching
- Providing regular training and support/coaching to the Bahirdar staff and the other actors playing a role in the institutional setup of the PBF-project (such as the Zonal Health Department, Woreda Health Offices, contracted CBO’s, the Steering Committee, the contracted health facilities) on performing their tasks and responsibilities as formulated in the PIM (to be developed).
- Submit timely detailed weekly updates to the Program Manager
- Compile quality and timely quarterly narrative progress reports in line with requirements of the Netherlands Embassy and Cordaid Global Office
Representation and networking
- Represent Cordaid and the PBF-project within the Amhara Zone. Where needed, liaise with relevant stakeholders in and outside the project area to ensure its success. Function as an active member of the PBF-Bahirdar Zonal Steering Committee
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine, Public Health, Nursing or any other, similar qualifications in this field.
- A master degree in Public Health or Medicine constitutes a distinct advantage, as is a professional certification in clinical quality of care and management of quality improvement strategies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in Ethiopian Public Health Services.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in managing a multi stakeholder health project and a team.
- Ability to lead and manage the multi stakeholder PBF-project, making sure that all PBF-actors are playing their required role effectively
- Knowledge of and experience with the Ethiopian HMIS system and DHIS2
- Prior working experience with quality improvement in a public health organization is an advantage
- Good experience with relevant computer software packages like Ms Word, Excel, Power Point is a must
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of and working experience in the Amhara Zone is an advantage.
- Effective internal communications – a team player, with the ability to establish a team and to work as a team, adapting to different personalities and situations, maintaining positive working relations.
- Effective external communications – Good networking, representative, diplomatic and social skills, able to communicate and to liaise with the Amhara Regional Health Bureau, the Amhara Zonal Health Department, the Bahirdar branch of the Ethiopian Health Insurance Agency, the Woreda Health Offices and facilities involved in the PBF project, and other stakeholders relevant for the PBF-project.
- Proven quantitative and qualitative analytical skills. Ability to analyze and present data in well written reports. Experience in preparing attractive reports, presentations and in facilitating skills.
- Ability to work and succeed under distant supervision and guidance, meeting deadlines.
- Good command (in writing and verbally) of the Amharic and English language.
- Possess good organizational and planning skills.
- Knowledge of the PBF approach will be an added advantage
- Willing to work and to frequently travel long distances in the Amhara Zone.
- Able to ride and in the possession of an (Ethiopian) motorbike license.
- Organizational Awareness
- Planning & Organization
- Problem solving
How to Apply
Interested and qualifying applicants can submit their application letter and CV in English, with both phone and email contact details of at least 3 professional references, to the following email [email protected]. The vacancy reference number along with the title of the post needs to be written in the subject of the email.
Note: CORDAID is an equal opportunity employer and women are strongly encouraged to apply. All applications submitted cannot be returned. Applicants are encouraged to apply early as interviews are done on a rolling basis and the advert can be closed when a matching candidate is identified An integrity screening will be part of the application procedure. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.